DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Unlike, it seems, everyone else on here, I really like Wheatley's stuff, but Sightseers left me cold. He was obviously trying to do a dark Nuts in May, but it was 'dark' in the way everything was in those couple of years after Chris Morris' Jam aired; knowingly so, and terribly, terribly try-hard.

• Paid Members

I'm yet to see a Ben Wheatley film I dislike, but I've not seen A Field in England yet so that may be the one. I was lucky enough to see Kill List before the hype exploded on it, and found it to be one of the finest horrors I have seen in a long time. Sightseers was not the best film I have ever seen, but it entertained me for 90 minutes. I have a pathalogical hatred of caravans and caravaners though, so that may have helped

Riddick

The best of the trilogy of films involving the Riddick character. Too long at nearly 2-hours but it is entertaining with good humour, action and special effects. At times feels like a remake of Pitch Black crossed with Aliens.

Elysium

The more I think about it the less I like it. It is mildly entertaining (most of the stuff involving Sharlto Copley) but ultimately very disappointing and flawed. I certainly hope Neill Blomkamp's third film is back to the level of District 9.

I'm yet to see a Ben Wheatley film I dislike.

You really need to see A Field in England. I really don't mind his first three films, but A Field in England is just terrible. The only film I have seen in 2013 that is worse is Movie 43 which was just awful.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

I'm a big Marvin fan, neither are his best roles but have you seen The Professionals or Donovan's Reef (a strange film) D-Mal? Might not be a more fun Western out there than The Professionals.

Edited by Maverick

• Awards Moderator

Took the g/f to see About Time last night. The only Richard Curtis film I'd seen in full prior to this was Love, Actually, and I didn't like it at all, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one. Turns out I loved it! Rachel McAdams is impossibly lovely and perfect, Domnhall Gleeson is a more likeable protagonist than I think Hugh Grant could ever be, and though the story goes through a couple of blips (the main one's about two-thirds of the way through and though I understand why it was there, it didn't feel as deftly handled as the rest of the film) it is a very nice story, with a message I've taken to heart a bit... I'm still not compelled to catch any of his others, but this one I really liked.

And Rachel McAdams is wonderful. Just lovely. :love:

Also saw Alan Partridge at the weekend. I'm not a massive fan but it was funny and made me laugh, so job done.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
I watched World War Z yesterday. I like how they encapsulated the world war aspect of it by having to travel to such places as South Korea, Jerusalem and... Cardiff???

Don't forget Glasgow too. Centre of Glasgow was cordoned off for about a week because of it.

Watched "Witchfinder General" last night and I bloody loved it.

"The New Saint" Ian Ogilvy hunts down evil "Witchfinder General" Vincent Price and his pal after they do something rather bad to his wife and a friend. Film plays like a medieval "Death Wish".

Must have caused an absolute scandal in the UK when it opened. What other British films in the sixties can you see rapings, stabbings, drownings, cuttings, axings and burnings? Absolutely unbelievable. Great stuff though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Awards Moderator
I watched World War Z yesterday. I like how they encapsulated the world war aspect of it by having to travel to such places as South Korea, Jerusalem and... Cardiff???

Don't forget Glasgow too. Centre of Glasgow was cordoned off for about a week because of it.

Glasgow was substituting for an American city, though, so I don't think it counts. It was either Chicago or Philadelphia, can't recall which!

• Paid Members
I'm a big Marvin fan, neither are his best roles but have you seen The Professionals or Donovan's Reef (a strange film) D-Mal? Might not be a more fun Western out there than The Professionals.

Watched The Professionals last night as a matter of fact and it was indeed excellent. Brilliant cast.

If I had to shoot a post-apocalyptic city, Glasgow would be my first choice ;)

Devon Gladders, you absolutely should see Nuts In May, it's a fantastic piece. So much quotable stuff, and almost all of it improvised. Watching it as an adult, I felt uncomfortable recognising some of Keith's traits in myself now.