DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I don't think I missed much by not bothering with the Total Recall remake, so I doubt I'll miss much by not bothering with this Robocop one.

I know it's a clich

• Moderators

I haven't even seen it, but I'm going to have to assume the recent Captain America film is better than the one I watched as a kid. Don't think that really counts as a remake though, rather a new film with the same character.

I didn't even know The Fly was a remake. Is the original even worth watching?

I would probably enjoy any remake that was made during the 80s and 90s of much older films more than the originals. I imagine that's how youngsters these days feel about the remakes we slag off.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
The Wicker Man.

Fuck right off Jobs

Chest, The original version of the Fly is a B movie classic starring Vincent Price, there was a lot of references to it in the Simpsons Halloween Special where Bart becomes a fly (including the classic "Help Meeeeeeeeeee" line)

1302637104-the_fly.jpg

Well worth checking out if you are into older horror movies

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
The Wicker Man.

Fuck right off Jobs

I was only kidding :(

The Fly is the only one I can think of that I actually prefer to the original, there must be others though.

Movies made of the same character eg captain America don't really count unless the character originated in a movie or the story's the same.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre? Really? I'll have to stop avoiding that then.

Agreed on The Fly. That's a case of the original being very old and the sequel having the opportunity to do the concept better. Same with The Thing too and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, though the original of that is still pretty classy.

Fistful isn't a remake of Yojimbo, it's different enough to have an actual different title for starters ;) I think maybe during the 50s and 60s remakes or Americanisations were done by directors who were huge fans of the original, rather than the modern remake mania where producers are fans of the original's IP monetisation potential.