DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Until tonight, I was one of those terrible, shameful people who had never seen 12 Angry Men.

I watched it tonight. What a superb film. One of the best dramas and ensemble pieces I think I've ever seen. So good. If you're like I was an hour and a half ago and haven't watched it, find yourself a spare 90 minutes and watch the damn thing, you won't regret it. The whole film is on Youtube.

To those on here who've talked it up for ages, I can only apologise for not joining you sooner. What a film!

• Paid Members

Watched Sneakers today. Used to love this film when it first came out and it's still an enjoyable film. The quality of the cast is insane, Redford, Kingsley, Poitier, River Phoenix, all of them but Redford being pretty much bit players in it.

I followed it up with Robocop on Netflix which turned out to be the directors cut. I'm still stunned that a US studio funded it. It's an amazing film, borders on being a black comedy and is for me one of the greatest satires of 80s corporate America that was made. I'm 90% sure they didn't realise that when they greenlit it. The "somebody call a paramedic" line after ED-209 shoots the guy in the boardroom still makes me laugh out loud.

• Paid Members

I don't usually post in this thread because to be honest, I have terrible taste in films. But I just have to share my joy at a recent rewatching of See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) after not seeing it for - well, I can't even remember how long. It was on VHS last time for definite. It was suggested by my mate who is equally as big a fan of all things 80s as myself, and within a few seconds of the film starting, I was already thrilled with how "of it's time" I could tell it was, courtesy of the score and the shots of the cityscape, NYC in this case.

I'm a huge fan of anything Gene Wilder is in, and some of the interaction between him and Richard Pryor had me in pain laughing. Admittedly Pryor's Wally Karew got the loudest laughs from the three of us, in particular his response to Eve's offer of a last request, his answer for his patients' favourite exercise while posing as a gynaecologist, and when Dave (Wilder) asks "what did she say" of Adele, with Wally answering "She said she thinks you're an asshole!" I'd love to pretend to be mature enough to not mention "Joan Severance's legs/tits, corrrrr," but it would be a massive lie if I said her presence as Eve didn't also enhance my enjoyment of the film.

I'm very tempted now to dig out The Woman In Red, but I'd hate for that not to live up to my memories of how good it was. I recall Gilda Radner's scenes as especially funny.

Edited by air_raid

I followed it up with Robocop on Netflix which turned out to be the directors cut. I'm still stunned that a US studio funded it. It's an amazing film, borders on being a black comedy and is for me one of the greatest satires of 80s corporate America that was made. I'm 90% sure they didn't realise that when they greenlit it. The "somebody call a paramedic" line after ED-209 shoots the guy in the boardroom still makes me laugh out loud.

Coincidentally, I actually watched Robocop yesterday also, as part of my ongoing

• Paid Members

Must watch the original 12 Angry Men again. Might actually do so this evening.

The 1997 version was actually a decent pop at it, but I really fucking hate Courtney B Vance as an actor.

The Last Supper would probably be a firm favourite of mine only for his presence.

Edit - I must be the only person alive who enjoyed Robocop 2.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

I love Robocop but nothing will ever trump The Terminator for me, it's my all time favourite film by a wide margin.

Time has been much kinder to Robocop than Terminator. Robocop's satire remains sharp, and its special effects still look good in general. The Terminator, in contrast, is really creaky in terms of special effects, and the look of it feels incredibly dated now. Anything that involves "future stuff coming back to the present" is doomed to age badly I reckon, mainly because the "present" bit ages and therefore makes the futuristic elements look twee.

By contrast, Robocop is set in a near-future that looks pretty realistic, even now.

• Paid Members
I love Robocop but nothing will ever trump The Terminator for me, it's my all time favourite film by a wide margin.

Time has been much kinder to Robocop than Terminator. Robocop's satire remains sharp, and its special effects still look good in general. The Terminator, in contrast, is really creaky in terms of special effects, and the look of it feels incredibly dated now. Anything that involves "future stuff coming back to the present" is doomed to age badly I reckon, mainly because the "present" bit ages and therefore makes the futuristic elements look twee.

That's one of the main reasons I love Terminator though, seeing a cult, semi low budget 80s punk vision of the future is as cool as it gets for me, the whole early 80s dirty punk LA vibe really makes it.

• Paid Members

I like the dirty industrial sci-fi look as well and I think that label can be applied to Robocop as well.

I did a list of films of this kind on Letterboxd that I'm trying to work through:-

http://letterboxd.com/settingsun/list/dirt...ustrial-sci-fi/

• Paid Members
Even more so considering the state of Detroit now:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23369573

Great minds think alike, D-Mal.

I only thought the exact same thing yesterday about the state of Detroit now, and Verhoeven's vision.

What did everyone think of the trailer for the new Robocop?

I thought it looked alright, in fairness to it :(