DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I am after stuff that's got various supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi gimmick stuff in it rather than straight up fare. Stuff like Bloodsport and Kickboxer as well, where there are loads of fun cliches and weirdness. From the synopsis, Firepower sounds like the kind of thing I'm after!

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I am after stuff that's got various supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi gimmick stuff in it rather than straight up fare. Stuff like Bloodsport and Kickboxer as well, where there are loads of fun cliches and weirdness. From the synopsis, Firepower sounds like the kind of thing I'm after!

Heatseeker.

Gary Daniels as the bad guy, and Keith Harabiyashi Cooke in the lead, so plenty of wonderful legwork. Albert Pyun directs, so obviously it's set in the not too distant future and has the requisite sci-fi elements, and Norbert Weisser hams it up spectacularly as the bad guy.

• Paid Members

I just watched Devil's Pass, based on that Dyatlov Pass Incident thing from years ago. Fucking shit. Renny Harlin is a useless cunt aside from Cliffhanger and some of Die Hard 2. Gemma Atkinson's in it as a sound boom operator. Seriously.

People need to stop giving this twat money to make films with.

• Paid Members

One of my favourites of Martial Arts tournament sub genre is Bloodsport 2. More or less nowt to do with the first but its got that super dodgy, complete rip off of Enter the Dragon feel to it. More recently I'd suggest Dead Or Alive and Tekken. I'm pretty much the only person that seems to love the live action Tekken movie. Its got some decent action and isnt over edited. Plus its got Gary F'n Daniels in it. As a fan of DTV action its well worth a watch.

• Paid Members

EDIT - Damn phone double post.

Did a Steven Seagalathon the other night. Got through 5 and a bit (only watched Executive Decision up until Stevie's death). Out for Justice is still a great flick. How they could justify Seagal's accent is beyond me. Believe it or not he doesn't just mumble his way through this one. It's early enough into his career that he's still attempting to act. Sporting a wavering Boston (ish) accent.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Went to a screening of The Room last night at Birmingham's Electric Cinema. It was the most fun i've ever had at a cinema. I highly recommend going to a screening near you, its a fantastic experience. I was in fits of laughter all 99 minutes due to the brilliant atmosphere, witty banter and all the shout-along lines. Definitely exceeds the hype.

• Paid Members

Watched American Mary yesterday. It was alright. Katharine Isabelle is the main reason it's any good, she's fantastic in it. Otherwise it's a complete mess of great bits and shit bits and I think the Soska Twins have either fluked a good one (they're doing See No Evil 2 next, for fuck's sake) or they might end up being good horror directors. I think it was trying to be a bit like May but was nowhere near as good.

• Paid Members
EDIT - Damn phone double post.

Did a Steven Seagalathon the other night. Got through 5 and a bit (only watched Executive Decision up until Stevie's death). Out for Justice is still a great flick. How they could justify Seagal's accent is beyond me. Believe it or not he doesn't just mumble his way through this one. It's early enough into his career that he's still attempting to act. Sporting a wavering Boston (ish) accent.

Out For Justice is amazing, never gets old.

"Anyone seen Richie!?"

I got through this lot in a single day yesterday. As you can imagine, it was a very good day.

Chopper

In Hell (Van Damme)

Natural Born Killers

Rambo 2

Terminator 2

Scarface

One of my favourites of Martial Arts tournament sub genre is Bloodsport 2. More or less nowt to do with the first but its got that super dodgy, complete rip off of Enter the Dragon feel to it.

Bloodsport 2 is class, yeah. I bought the 3rd one a while ago too, but never got round to watching it. Bloodsport 4 is dreadful though. That has even less to do with the previous ones. At least there

Went to see You're Next over the weekend, wanted to see Elysium but my girlfriend was late getting out of work (grr) so we ended up going to see You're next which i was pleasantly surprised by! Thoughts in spoilers below...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Really great movie, I saw the heel turn coming a mile off as Im sure loads of people did, it was disappointingly obvious but then they managed to come back from it. The start of the movie is tense and very John Carpenter-esque, it reminded me a bit of a horror Assault on Precinct 13. Then the second half turned the violence and horror on its head, turning more into Evil Dead or something. It was brutal, stupid and funny. I liked how the main woman turned the horror around on the attackers, it picked up after the aformentioned bad heel turn. Also the woman who plays the mum does not look at all her age. She's supposed to have been married for 35 years with 4 kinds and she looks about 40. Fair play.

Its a real good movie, I'd reccommend it, especially for the rather awesome sounding John Carpenter inspired score.

Edited by Cobra1000

• Paid Members
One of my favourites of Martial Arts tournament sub genre is Bloodsport 2. More or less nowt to do with the first but its got that super dodgy, complete rip off of Enter the Dragon feel to it.

Bloodsport 2 is class, yeah. I bought the 3rd one a while ago too, but never got round to watching it. Bloodsport 4 is dreadful though. That has even less to do with the previous ones. At least there