DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
Yeah Wayne won the oscar for True Grit in the end, it might not even be in his top 10 best performances though, he was shamefully overlooked by the academy for most the 50's where IMO he should have at least a best actor nomination for The Searchers and Rio Bravo. The girl in the new True Grit was brillant I thought, stunning performance from someone so young as I didn't think Darby was too great in the earlier film. Wayne did have a habit of taking a script or story and tailoring it to himself. I remember at the time though the Coens made a big public point of how it wasn't a remake of the Wayne film and was from the book and then was suprised at how similar it was in some aspects. Poor Glen Campbell always gets grief when the Wayne True Grit is discussed, he only got it because Elvis turned it down, that would have been interesting.

Elvis? Hard to imagine, that! Did he and Wayne ever share screen time elsewhere? That would've been quite the combination...

• Paid Members

Nope I think there were a few talks of putting them together in the mid 60's for a massive cash bonanza but it never came about mainly due to Colonel Tom being a right old prick supposedly. I don't think they would have made a good combination tbh given both men had huge egos and both would have wanted to be the main star, Glen Campbell was about the right level when they decided they wanted a singer to attract younger crowds. Wayne did do a few films with Dean Martin though and they had amazing chemistry. Sorry for rambling! A subject i'm passionate about is the ol' Duke.

• Awards Moderator
Edit - I must be the only person alive who enjoyed Robocop 2.

"No... I won't... we can't have that..." is one my favourite quotes. Try and answer the next three questions someone asks you in a row with those responses. Wot larks!

I watched are-psychics-real-o-rama Red Lights the other night. It starts so well, and both Sigourney Weaver and Robert De Niro have interesting characters. Then at about 45 mins in someone dies and the whole thing goes to shit. I was hoping to see Sally Morgan get a kicking somewhere along the line :(

• Paid Members
After recent Robocop discussions, I've just finished watching. The ED209 Boardroom scene and Murphy's murder still have me hiding behind my hands.

At least I no longer have to leave the room like I did when I was younger!

Same here. Still don't know how they managed to pull off the "Boardroom" scene but it looks unbelievably awesome.

"I MUST USE PHYSICAL FORCE.....RATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA.....BODY LIES ON TABLE"

Edited by bAzTNM#1

In the director's cut, the bullets just keep slamming into his body for another 3 or 4 seconds, it's hilarious. I love the shot of the technicians desperately pulling out wires during the count down. It's one of the great scifi scenes. ED 209 still looks the nuts to me.

• Paid Members
In the director's cut, the bullets just keep slamming into his body for another 3 or 4 seconds, it's hilarious. I love the shot of the technicians desperately pulling out wires during the count down. It's one of the great scifi scenes. ED 209 still looks the nuts to me.

Yeah it's once he's dead and on he model table and ED209 is still going at it.

Absolutely horrific! Poor Kenny. :(

The director's cut isn't big new scenes, what it is is restoring Verhoeven's original edits. The studio were concerned about how violent the film was, so in certain key scenes they removed a few seconds of footage.

Ironically, this just makes it more shocking. Verhoeven's a great director, and he understood that with violence in films, the longer it goes on, the the less realistic it becomes as it's more like cartoon violence. So the longer versions of those shots make you laugh, as with poor Kenny on the table still getting it from ED 209.