DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Why are so many of Jackie Chan's HK films out of print and expensive? Even downloading them is a pain in the arse because half of the time they are both unsubtitled and undubbed.

I think part of the reason is that the main distributor over here (Cine Asia) seem to have stopped trading. They where in the process of re-releasing a lot of older films (like project A, Battlecreek Brawl etc) and then just stopped. A quick check on google suggests the went into administration sometime in 2012.

Watched all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films bar Next Generation and the remake this weekend and I've mixed views on them. The original looks awesome on Blu ray (first time I've really watched it in full), part 2 drags on a bit but is enjoyable, Leatherface bored the hell out of me to the point I fast forwarded through most of the talky bits while the latest film does well to tie the loose ends from the original and the prequel adds a nice back story to Leatherface

One thing that bugs me though is how his family changes film to film save for the grandad who gets more and more decrepit as they go on, also what's with the family name changing from Hewitt in the prequel to Sawyer in the other films?

It's best to view all of the Texas Chainsaw films as stand-alone, separate entities as they all contradict each other. I actually enjoyed all of them, although the first one still scares the shit out of me and is easily the most effective. You should watch The Next Generation simply to see how baffling it gets in the last 20 minutes.

• Paid Members
watched The Iceman today really enjoyed it, Michael Shannon is fantastic in it playing the mafia hitman Richard Kuklinski (***1/2)

I watched this and I thought it suffered from not having enough time to tell the story, i thought Gandolfini would have been perfect for the part much more than Shannon. There was a big story to tell but there wasn't enough time. I enjoyed David Schwimmer getting involved.

• Paid Members
It's best to view all of the Texas Chainsaw films as stand-alone, separate entities as they all contradict each other.

I'd have to agree with that.

Has anybody watched the Scottish film "The Wee Man"? I'm not into this Glasgow gangster shit, but my brother has thrusted the DVD my way.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
It's best to view all of the Texas Chainsaw films as stand-alone, separate entities as they all contradict each other.

I'd have to agree with that.

Has anybody watched the Scottish film "The Wee Man"? I'm not into this Glasgow gangster shit, but my brother has thrusted the DVD my way.

Cracking trailer. I miss the days when teasers wouldn't feature actual footage of the film. That one reminded me of

The very best one has to be

• Paid Members
As the world's biggest Jason Takes Manhattan fan, I have to say that trailer is magnificent.

I thought I was the only one, D-Mal :love:

Have you watched the Crystal Lake Memories documentary? Awesome stuff, and narrated by little Tommy Jarvis himself.

I watched The Final Chapter last night on Viva. The resemblance between Crispin Glover and Mario Gomez is something to behold, but besides that, I think it's a lovely little addition to the franchise. Plus one of them Deb or Hilly birds from Weird Science gets her diddies out for a fleeting second, which is always nice to see.

I also watched Goodfellas again, on my missus' insistence. It's still shit.

• Paid Members

This last two weeks I've watched the complete Friday the 13th Blu-ray collection and the complete 7hour Crystal Lake Memories documentary Blu-ray. A fantastic use of my time. The doc is amazing. One 7hour sitting give or take a brief break or two and its always engaging. I'd never seen the Jason Takes Manhattan trailer until the box set.

Check out the signed cover I got from Dark Delicacies

CrystalLakeMemories.jpg

• Paid Members

The real down sides of the set are the 1st part only has the extended cut, part 3 doesn't include the real 3D version and perhaps unforgivably Jason Goes to Hell only includes the R-Rated version. Otherwise the transfers are all pretty good. Three being the worst but that's because of the technique they used to film it rather than the Blu-ray.

• Paid Members

To be fair most of the grumbles seem to be about the version of JGTH. Someone actually pointed out that the digital download version you get with it is actually the unrated version is that true? Oh and JGTH unrated has one of the best deaths of the series. Gutted its not included.