DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I rewatched the first three Police Story films recently, Matrix, and until then I had always thought the third one was my favourite. But I realised that, actually, the original is far better. It's faster paced, funnier and has the best ending in terms of action although the stunts in Supercop are amazing. In fact, it could be his best film that I've seen to date although I haven't seen any of his stuff prior to Police Story.

• Paid Members
The fight choreography is by Corey Yuen, he seems to have a decent pedigree including working on a few Jet Li and Statham films. You should give it a go Matrix although the historical setting and (very) slight fantasy elements might put you off.

Ah yes, Corey Yuen is fucking boss. One of the elite. I'll definately, at the least, Sky+ it and keep it by.

I rewatched the first three Police Story films recently, Matrix, and until then I had always thought the third one was my favourite. But I realised that, actually, the original is far better. It's faster paced, funnier and has the best ending in terms of action although the stunts in Supercop are amazing. In fact, it could be his best film that I've seen to date although I haven't seen any of his stuff prior to Police Story.

I'd agree with you completely. I guess because all of my stuff is in a lock up, these days my favourite is usually whatever i saw most recently just because i'm not watching stuff so regularly, but Police Story is absolutely breathtaking when it gets going. I'm not sure there's a contemporary fight scene that comes close to the shopping mall brawl.

That said, growing up, and probably to date i'd say the second is my favourite overall. I remember watching the fight in the park over and over and over again in my teens and when the deaf dumb Benny Lai gets to kicking the fuck out of people i was giddy. I think Police Story is the best of the three movies, but 2 is my favourite probably because it cuts back on the comedy a little and you get to see a more aggresive side of Jackie. Also, there arent many things as unsettling as the scene where the bad guys are throwing miniature explosives at his face.

I really need to go back and watch some prime Jackie. He's probably the only guy i've invested in as heavily as Arnie in his prime and i dont know the dates off the top of my head, but if you havent, then you absolutely must check out Wheels on Meals and Armour of God. About as good as contemporary martial arts action gets.

• Paid Members

I watched Wheels On Meals recently but it wasn't as good as I remembered. It just went on a bit too long. I haven't seen the Armour Of God films recently but I did watch the Project A films and they were still really good, especially the first one.

The opening segment of Police Story - the car chase and then the bit with the bus - could be one of the greatest starts to any film ever made. Incredible stuff.

• Paid Members

I think i'm probably giving Wheels on Meals the benefit of the doubt because of it's action. If i remember rightly, it does tend to have a little too much of that typical cantonese humour that dosent translate very well which can make it drag in places.

No such problem with Armour of God though, it does have plenty of broad humour but the fights are incredible. It's crazy that i didnt even consider Project A, shows how out of the loop i am. I have this giant ottomon filled with tapes in the garage, it's gonna be like a fucking treasure chest when i break into that for the first time.

I had no idea quite how literally that scene had been lifted for Tango & Cash until a few years ago. Never twigged originally. Bad Boys 2 however with the car chase down a hill through a shanty was blatantly obvious almost 20 years later. Just shows how influencial that movie is.

I'm sure i read there was an unofficial third Armour of God movie recently (Chinese Zodiac), anyone more up to date on the scene can tell me if it's any good or not?

• Paid Members

I haven't seen Chinese Zodiac but it's been getting mixed reviews on Letterboxd. It's also 2 hours long, which sounds quite long for a Jackie Chan film. But I will still certainly watch it.

Actually, Rumble In The Bronx was quite good as well and I quite liked City Hunter as well.

• Paid Members

See, 10 years ago i'd have been up until 4am bidding for a pirate copy on ebay. From what i've just read at a glance on IMDB, sounds as though the action is on par with, if not a little slower than, that hyperkinetic 80's style.

I remember being really dissapointed with RITB because it ended with a giant stunt rather than a giant fight when up until then it'd been great, but i'm a sucker for anything with Richard Norton it, even if, for the majority of the final fight of City Hunter he's effortlessly doubled by a small chinese man, and by effortlessly, i mean they didnt make any effort to disguise it.

• Paid Members
The fight choreography is by Corey Yuen, he seems to have a decent pedigree including working on a few Jet Li and Statham films. You should give it a go Matrix although the historical setting and (very) slight fantasy elements might put you off.

Ah yes, Corey Yuen is fucking boss. One of the elite. I'll definately, at the least, Sky+ it and keep it by.

I thought the fights seemed good, you should definitely check it out then if you like the dude. Probably worth looking at the cast to see if there are any familiar faces too.

• Paid Members

Corey Yuen is the English name of Yuen Kwai, who was another one of Jackie's classmates from the opera school, and so it's no surprise that he works so well alongside him, Samo, Yuen Biu, Yuen Wah, etc..

Inspired by the talk a few pages back, I wanted to watch a Jackie Chan movie, and opted for the horrendous Miramax rape job, Supercop because it

• Paid Members
PS3 loses points though for having Mars play one of Yuen Wah's henchmen (he even has lines!) when he had a supporting role in the first two as a cop.

Gary Daniels still looks badass in it. Mars is the guy doubling Richard Norton, by the way.

I still say Jackie vs Benny the Jet is still a highlight of his career. It's a shame that Yuen Biu vs Keith Vitali doesn't match up.

Am i right though Baz, despite Jackie's character being called Kevin or Ka Kui, and having a girlfriend called May played by Maggie Cheung, it wasnt always meant to be a direct sequel was it? They are sods for things like that. In Above the Law (Righting Wrongs) Melvin Wong plays the main villain, then babyface police captain in the sequel.

Mars gets everywhere dont he. Somewhere at home i've still got a sealed VCD of Lackey and the Lady Tiger that i never got around to watching.

I agree with you pretty much on Jackie Vs Benny. As one on one fight scenes go, i dont think it's ever been bettered. As for group scenes, it'd either be the park scene from Police Story 2 or Jackie Vs the monks from Armour of God, those are the two that instantly come to mind.

Question for you, what's your favourite pairing in terms of directors getting the best out of action stars?

I always think Jackie looks his best when directed by Sammo. Donnie Yen looks amazing when directed by Yuen Woo Ping, Jet Li's best fights are with Yuen Kwai behind the camera. I mean all three of those directors can turn anyone into a credible on screen fighter, but they REALLY know how to get the best out of an elite one.

• Paid Members
Harry Brown.

Enjoyable, if a total paint by numbers exercise. A Ford Cortina to Gran Torino.

The opening scene haunted me for hours. It truly shocked me.

Plan B plays a magnificent horrible cunt, doesn't he?

If you say Harry Brown like a yank would, it could be construed as a slang term for a follicly blessed anus.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Moderators

Harry Brown's a hilariously awful film. It's every hysterical Facebook status about "wat r world comin too?" put to film, with zero sense of irony. At least we know the answer to the question 'What if Gran Torino were made by someone who believed every shit-stirring Daily Mail headline?' Like Nick Love's Outlaw, you could tell they thought they were making a really very, very important statement about modern Britain.

Edited by Astro Hollywood