DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I loved the action packed ending of Man of Steel, they did a plodding action free Superman movie in 2006 and it was terrible and it tanked so I don't blame them for going way in the other direction. I do understand people saying it was a bit full on but for me it was what I'd always wanted to see Superman do on screen and finally could. The buildup was long and well done so as far as I saw it there was something for everyone. Michael Shannon and Henry Cavill were both perfect as far as I'm concerned too.

• Paid Members
Reeves did get all broody/whiny for a bit in number 2, and he gets surly/drunk in number 3.

Yeah, but there were other characters and scenarios in those films that lightened it up (with some excellent hammy campness). It wasn't all doom and gloom, the latest Superman is all about business. It's something Marvel do so well, pacing and mixing the light and dark.

I loved the action packed ending of Man of Steel, they did a plodding action free Superman movie in 2006 and it was terrible and it tanked so I don't blame them for going way in the other direction. I do understand people saying it was a bit full on but for me it was what I'd always wanted to see Superman do on screen and finally could. The buildup was long and well done so as far as I saw it there was something for everyone. Michael Shannon and Henry Cavill were both perfect as far as I'm concerned too.

I agree that they were both very good. As I said, I thought it was a decent film until the last 20 minutes, where I lost interest.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

Man of Steel was a chore to sit through, and guilty of all the criticisms unfairly levelled at Superman Returns, which didn't tank - it drew $400m when the studio wanted it to draw $500m. There was no zip in the Man of Steel dialogue - just exposition and frowny faces, and regardless of how many gravitas-bearing actORs you bring in to try to elevate the material, Cavill was still just a handsome plank and Shannon a one-dimensional villain ex machina. Even Crowe phoned it in. Costner was on screen for about five minutes and put the entire film to shame by being incredible.

They even nicked the small knife gag from Street Fighter, for fucks sake.

I'm sure there's a bit where Supes flies Lois a bit too high in the atmosphere without her suffering any ill effects too.

Yes, that totally unbelievable bit ruined the film about a flying man from another planet who could disguise himself by wearing a pair of glasses for me.

• Paid Members

Man Of Steel is shit. Henry Cavill had the look but has the onscreen charisma of Anakin Skywalker. The ending fight is just an abomination of CG wankery.

Kevin Costner was great in it though.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Shame he get's himself killed for a fucking dog and stands there like a fucking twat while a random out of nowhere hurricane destroys everything

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
I'm sure there's a bit where Supes flies Lois a bit too high in the atmosphere without her suffering any ill effects too.

Yes, that totally unbelievable bit ruined the film about a flying man from another planet who could disguise himself by wearing a pair of glasses for me.

That's the most tired shit argument ever, you have to suspend disbelief about certain things or it just doesn't work, it doesn't mean other things don't have to obey the rules of the real world.

That's the most tired shit argument ever, you have to suspend disbelief about certain things or it just doesn't work, it doesn't mean other things don't have to obey the rules of the real world.

Not at all. It's an all or nothing thing, like he erased her memory with a kiss, or didn't break her spine when he caught her falling, which would have happened.

If you think atmospheric conditions are such an issue in super heroes movies, then you're probably as bad as that Jobs fellow on here.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Man Of Steel just wasn't likeable for me. There was an old saying when people talked about Christopher Reeves mentioning that anyone can play Superman, you just have to look good in a stupid outfit, the key is playing Clark Kent and that's what Reeves did so well, he was genuinely likeable. Cavill was just there. It's not all his fault, he wasn't really given much to work with but outside of a few scenes with Costner ( best thing in that film by far) and the scream at the end I can't remember a single thing he did in that film.

Nolan wants to make another brooding super hero but that's not Superman. Hopefully now they have the origin albatross out the way they can spend more time with Cavill as Clark and keep all the glum brooding to Affleck and his chin.

• Paid Members

There's obviously something wrong with me, as I really did not enjoy Blue Jasmine. I found it to be horrendously boring and overacted. The missus really loved it though, and the differing opinion actually caused a fairly heated row which wound up evolving/devolving into an argument about why I still watch Looney Tunes cartoons on a regular basis at 34 years of age but refuse to accept "well written, grown up drama's like Blue Jasmine".

I thought the film was fucking brutal!

Question is doing my head in. What film features a zombie fighting with a doped up shark (under the sea, obviously)? I'm sure it was one of those sleazy Italian horrors. Thanks a lot!

Zombie Flesh eaters i think. Pretty good film.