DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

If anyone's looking for a good film to watch tonight, Lone Star is on BBC1 11.50pm-2am. It be real good.

Anyone who hasn't seen this MUST watch it. Fantastic film.

• Paid Members

I watched Vehicle 19 last night, for those who don't know (probably everyone) it's a recent thriller starring Paul Walker of the fast and the furious fame. I only paid 50p for the DVD and I got it purely because I've always had a soft spot for Paul Walker (I have no idea why, probably the same mystery reason I like other noted charisma vacuum Jim Caviezel.) It has a picture of Walker in a car on the front and it has vehicle in the name so I assumed it would be a fast and the furious knock off. It actually turned out to be a South African police corruption thriller, it was all in Johannesburg and they'd obviously spent a good portion of the budget on an American "star" to appeal to a larger market and it worked as I've seen the film sold in supermarkets etc. and that may not have been the case if it was all South African as with the exception of District 9 I can't think of another South African film that's hit the mainstream. It was a pretty decent albeit somewhat by the numbers thriller, there was a bit of car chasing but for the most part it was a wrong man in the wrong place with serious shit going down kind of story. It being set in South Africa was by far the most interesting thing about the film, it really gave you a feel for the place and it was a whole different world than if it had been set in L.A or something.

• Paid Members

I quite fancy that myself, actually. I don't mind Walker in small doses.

The only other South African film I've seen is Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema. It was about a crime lord that rises from the slums and starts taking over high-rise blocks of flats from drug dealers forcibly. It was great.

• Paid Members
I quite fancy that myself, actually. I don't mind Walker in small doses.

It's not a small dose, there's not a single scene that he's not in. It's a fun film if you're not expecting to be blown away, the bad guy is great, proper horrible looking bastard. Paul Walker is good as a guy trying to go straight getting into trouble, Running Scared is really good from what I remember (not to be confused with the Gregory Hines/Billy Crystal film)

This Is The End. Basically a better version of The Worlds End, but only in the sense that I laughed more. It's still pretty poor overall but it did entice a few chuckles out of me. I just found it too much like Pineapple Express, which is just the drizzling shits. I did admire how much they took the piss out of themselves though.

• Paid Members

I've the office to myself in work and I'm watching Surviving The Game. It's still so ludicrously entertaining, despite the inappropriate score.

Next up after this is either Hard Target, Street Fighter 2 - Animated Movie or Fortress, to finish off the day.

I quite enjoyed This Is The End. Was bordering on pretentious at points but the scene where

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Seth Rogen pisses in his own mouth on the confession cam, creased me up for some reason

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Scott Malbranque

R.I.P.D.

A very average sci-fi comedy that feels like a poor attempt at copying Men in Black, but failing in pretty much every way. It is poorly written, wastes a good cast, has quite poor CG-effects for its budget ($130-million), most of the attempts at humour miss the mark, the story is very weak, and Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds as the leads have very little chemistry (and yet as bad as their characters are, Reynolds and Bridges are still pretty much the only thing that keeps the film barely watchable). Sadly it is probably the worst film I have seen at the cinema in 2013.

• Awards Moderator

Had a bit of a cinema weekend with the g/f this weekend. Rush on Saturday and a preview of Blue Jasmine on Sunday.

Rush is fantastic, and that's coming from someone who's not really into F1. The race scenes are spectacular, full of action-packed moments, and it very confidently manages to balance things between Hunt and Lauda so that you end up rooting for each of them just as much as the other, when it could have been so easy to pick one of the two to focus on. Really great, best film Ron Howard's done for ages. Absolutely recommend it.

Same with Blue Jasmine, actually. It's not my favourite recent Woody Allen (Midnight In Paris will take some beating) but it's bloody good. Cate Blanchett is utterly stupendous as Jasmine, just superb, and she's backed up with a cracking script and supporting cast - Sally Hawkins, Andrew Dice Clay, Peter Sarsgaard, Louis CK, Bobby Cannavale, Alec Baldwin and even Michael Stuhlbarg turns up as a lecherous dentist. Not a weak link among them but Blanchett deservedly steals it. And Woody, for his part, has crafted something special with this one. Well worth seeing.

Oh, also saw Wreck-It Ralph, that was good too! I like films.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator