DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

This last two weeks I've watched the complete Friday the 13th Blu-ray collection and the complete 7hour Crystal Lake Memories documentary Blu-ray. A fantastic use of my time. The doc is amazing. One 7hour sitting give or take a brief break or two and its always engaging. I'd never seen the Jason Takes Manhattan trailer until the box set.

Check out the signed cover I got from Dark Delicacies

CrystalLakeMemories.jpg

Where did you buy the documentary from? I ask as I've bought it off the US Amazon but is a week late being delivered (should have been here last Tuesday after ordering it on the 12th September)

• Paid Members
Paranormal Activity 3. I thought the bit

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Between the start and the end, and including them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); was a let down.

I haven't even seen the first one yet. I'm not sure I care enough about them to even bother with that much.

• Paid Members
Paranormal Activity 3. I thought the bit

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Between the start and the end, and including them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); was a let down.

I haven't even seen the first one yet. I'm not sure I care enough about them to even bother with that much.

I think I've seen them all at the pictures, and yet I think they're all shite. I have a history of that, letting people convince me to go see films that I don't have any hope of liking. I went to see the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies with different people each time, and they were all wank (the third one was on a special level of shite, though).

• Paid Members
It's like Sons Of Anarchy. It's taken me three films or seasons to make me realise they're shit.

I was like that with NYPD Blue. Absolutely no idea why I watched it for so long.

• Paid Members
Where did you buy the documentary from? I ask as I've bought it off the US Amazon but is a week late being delivered (should have been here last Tuesday after ordering it on the 12th September)

I preordered it from darkdel.com. They put on a signing with cast and crew and it has an exclusive bonus DVD with 4 more hours of interviews. The only other place to get the bonus disc is crystallakememories.com.

Has it shipped from amazon? because I'd cancel it and get it from there.

• Paid Members
To be fair most of the grumbles seem to be about the version of JGTH. Someone actually pointed out that the digital download version you get with it is actually the unrated version is that true? Oh and JGTH unrated has one of the best deaths of the series. Gutted its not included.

I believe that's correct but because its a US digital download I've no idea how easy it would be to get it in the UK. Its frankly mental that there's a HD transfer of the unrated cut and Warner just couldn't be bothered to put it on there.

I preordered it from darkdel.com. They put on a signing with cast and crew and it has an exclusive bonus DVD with 4 more hours of interviews. The only other place to get the bonus disc is crystallakememories.com.

Has it shipped from amazon? because I'd cancel it and get it from there.

Its shipped and I believe its finally showed up today, only to be left undelivered because of an extra charge (which I believe to be customs) of just under

• Paid Members

I hate Jason goes to hell, it's all about parts 3 & 6 for me (although I do like Freddy vs Jason & enjoyed the remake) but the best horror movie kill ever is in Jason x

Anyway, I watched The Man with the Iron Fists yesterday. I'd wanted to see it for ages and I was happy to see it had turned up on the newly added section of sky movies on demand. It was my day off so despite it being 1 in the afternoon I watched it as nature intended a grindhouse martial arts film made by a rapper to be watched- with a couple of joints & beers which I'm sure helped my enjoyment (and I did really enjoy it.)

Directed by RZA, written by RZA, music by RZA and starring RZA, it was obviously his project (with help from Eli Roth) and it's great that he got to make the crazy film he wanted but I really wish he'd had the modesty to cast someone else in the lead role, he's ugly, skinny, quiet and worst of all, seriously lacking in charisma and screen presence and the film suffered because of it. Everything else came together pretty well for me, I thought Russell Crowe would have a tiny cameo but he had lots of screen time and he was the opposite of RZA in that he looked like he was having a great time, he was gloriously over the top and totally owned the screen when he was on it, apparently he only took the role because of a previous working relationship with RZA (although I can't think what from) but getting him on board was a real coup and he elevates the whole thing. Every fight scene was different which kept them fresh, just over the top enough to be really fun as well, Batista's in it as a guy who turns into brass to defend himself every time he gets hit and the special effect for that was great (probably the thing I enjoyed most in the film) and I really liked the unexplained fantastical elements like that.

I really enjoyed it and would gladly recommend it to anyone who thought a 19th century martial arts grindhouse film made by a rapper sounds watchable as it won't disappoint. I'm sure it never occurred to RZA to cast anyone other than himself but it's a shame as with a different lead it could've been really great. Although I should point out that I know nothing of RZA and was watching it purely as a guy who likes these kind of movies, maybe to a huge Wu-Tang fan he's amazing in it.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
That's one of those films I know I will watch eventually but is pretty low down on my list as I've not really heard any good reviews for it until yours, which is still not exactly glowing praise.

Do you mean my review doesn't praise it or me enjoying it counts against it due to my dubious taste? Seriously though you should give it a go, RZA himself was the only thing I didn't particularly enjoy about it but it was great getting to see a guy get to make the film he really wanted and it was a lot of fun.