DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

In a successful attempt to procrastinate on doing my work, and spurred on by the novelty of having a TV for the first time since I moved house I watched a couple of films in my hotel room last night.

Ratatouille My abiding memory of this is Triple A's scathing review on how fucking awful the tie-in game was, so my expectations were not high going in. However, I got totally sucked in. Pretty standard moralistic cartoon tale but I liked the set up - it was all about food and cooking which was a new one on me, and I don't watch a lot of these kinds of films anyway so there was still plenty of entertainment to be had even if it was a little by the numbers.

Also I used to hate Patton Oswalt but have warmed to him a bit recently, so I think that helped.

Sliding Doors. Yeah, I know. Fuck off. Anyway.... It's actually pretty well written. The characters feel pretty real and quite rounded.. It's not standard romcom fair not only because it's not funny but also because it's not utterly predictable.

I mean, yeah, I thought they were all twats. But Gerry was a real shit heel so I could get behind the good guys.

• Paid Members

Finally watched Taken 2 earlier in the week. It's taken forever largely because every review i'd read for it made out like it was absolute dog shit.

As did anyone of sane mind, i really enjoyed the first one and had been lead to believe that all the action centered around his daughter in the sequel. As it goes, the set piece which is focused on her i really enjoyed with the whole maps / grenades thing, and it's not as if they try and pretend she's in the movie for her brawn is it given she's in a bikini for the preceeding 20 minutes or so.

Neeson has clearly slowed down since the first movie, and the editing dosent disguise that particularly well, but i love the character. That mix of physicality and smarts is great, given leads usually stray in one direction or the other.

You know i'm a sucker for a good villain, and despite being, in himself a fairly harmless old man, he's a nasty fucker. The whole, cut throat, hang upsite down thing is nasty, and telling anyone who you're going to personally ensure that their daughter is abused to within an inch of her life is an 11 on the 'orrible scale.

As good as the first one? Absolutely not, but it's paced great, and still an enjoyable watch.

Dredd was on last chance on Demand an'all, so i'm gonna try and squeeze that in at the weekend if i havent missed the boat.

• Paid Members
Off to see 'Rush' tonight, which looks right up my street.

One the subject of DVDs i've finally cracked open the boxset of 'Band Of Brothers' some 10 years after everybody else it seems, up to episode 5 so far and it's phenominal and i'm told gets even better

Rush is really, really good. It doesn't play like a true story, if that makes sense, and Hemsworth makes for a magnificent dickhead.

Off to see 'Rush' tonight, which looks right up my street.

One the subject of DVDs i've finally cracked open the boxset of 'Band Of Brothers' some 10 years after everybody else it seems, up to episode 5 so far and it's phenominal and i'm told gets even better

Rush is really, really good. It doesn't play like a true story, if that makes sense, and Hemsworth makes for a magnificent dickhead.

Bruhl was the standout of the movie for me. Terrific stuff. It's a really good movie as you say. The race scenes were a bit loud though. Ridiculously off putting.

• Awards Moderator

More a heads-up than anything, but there's a Powell & Pressburger double bill on Film4 on Monday. It's quite a good week for Film4 all round, actually, they're also showing Passport To Pimlico and Das Boot later in the week.

Then again, I'm looking forward just as much to watching my recording of Sharknado (which was on SyFy last night) so what do I know!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

The Hunt.

Vinterberg isn't a laugh a minute director, and this film about a teacher falsely accused of sexually assaulting a girl doesn't get many laughs. Mads Mikkelsen is his usual fantastic self in this. Well worth a watch.