DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched World War Z today, and enjoyed it a lot. I think the Cardiff section got added after the original ending didn't work at all.

I thought World War Z was pretty terrible, although I did enjoy the final act in Cardiff. What happens in the original ending? Not read the book.

The book is nothing like the film. The book is an oral history, all first-hand accounts well after the fact. It jumps around in the timeline of the war, jumps between nations and characters. There's no formal narrative structure at all.

It's a great read actually. Would have made a really good tv series, an hour per character as it were. But it's clearly not designed to be made into a film.

Had a choice of three threads for this, went for this one.

Watched the documentary about speed metal guitarist "Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet". He seems a lovely guy and I remember hearing a lot about him at the time, this was pre Internet, about how he had to stop playing at an early age due to ALS / Lou Gehrig Disease.

It was clearly a labour of love, as evidenced by the kick starter nature of the project. It isn't very well directed but the story is there, as is his remarkable talent.

• Paid Members
Had a choice of three threads for this, went for this one.

Watched the documentary about speed metal guitarist "Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet". He seems a lovely guy and I remember hearing a lot about him at the time, this was pre Internet, about how he had to stop playing at an early age due to ALS / Lou Gehrig Disease.

It was clearly a labour of love, as evidenced by the kick starter nature of the project. It isn't very well directed but the story is there, as is his remarkable talent.

I want to watch this, but I've not managed to make it through either of the trailers without turning into a blubbering mess.

• Paid Members

I only really knew him through his Cacophony stuff. When Marty got the Megadeth job, his solo albums were available here, but I never saw Jason's and as I wasn't a fan of David Lee Roth, I didn't really follow what Jason was up to until the metal magazines started reporting on his health problems.

• Paid Members

And only American mags too. What's that? You want to hear what Greg Howe or Blues Saraceno actually sound like? Not surprising, seeing as we've been saturating our magazines with them for the last 6 months. Just dial this 555 number and........ oh. =(

Anyone got any recommendations for martial arts tournament films along the lines of Mortal Kombat?

Erm if you just want the tourny stuff as opposed to the outworldy things then

Best of the Best

Bloodsport

The Quest

Sidekicks

The Karate Kid (original)

The Undisputed Series

Edit- I took Enter The Dragon as a given

Edited by patiirc

• Paid Members

There's two Shootfighter movies starring Bolo and Johnny Lawrence from Karate Kid which are very watchable straight to video martial arts tournament fare.

The other one which springs to mind is Fire Power, with Gary Daniels, Chad McQueen aka Dutch from Karate Kid and some fella called Jim Hellwig.

Death Cage with Matthias Hues, and pretty much anything you'll find with UFC names splashed across the front cover these days will have a tournament format and some needless, but welcome none the less, tits.

If you're willing to stray outside of the tournament format, then pick up Tiger Cage 2 and In the Line of Duty, two early 90's Donnie Yen / Yuen Woo Ping collaborations that deliver some fucking delicious contemporary martial arts action.