DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Maybe when you're up in the night with mini Chest?

Yeah I will give it another watch soon. 

She sleeps through the night! No night shifts for me for quite some time now... 👍

(Well, not with her anyway. I do stay up too late in my own on occasion playing God of War).

• Paid Members

Just out of Mile 22 and I concur with D-Mal. It's a good little action film. I still think it's nuts not to have Ronda fight but she impressed me with the little dialogue she had. I think the film suffered from way to much shaky camera/over editing in the fisty cuff fight scenes. A real shame because if they had been given room to breath it could have been great. Instead it's just good imo.

• Paid Members

Flash Point - Donnie Yen's bad ass 2007 police action drama. Now I watched this years ago back when it came out and I wasn't that impressed. The thing is I was for sure after a hard hitting relentless martial arts showcase and whilst the fights are great it's really much more of police action drama and pretty bloody good one at that.

Donnie's an intriguing dude. Historically I've never truly got on board with him. He's got a bit too much of a heel streak in him to be a straight up loveable hero. That said I seem to be warming to him in my old age. He'll never replace Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee or even Tony Jaa in my heart but damned if the fella doesn't have a butt load of charisma.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DEF said:

Flash Point - Donnie Yen's bad ass 2007 police action drama. Now I watched this years ago back when it came out and I wasn't that impressed. The thing is I was for sure after a hard hitting relentless martial arts showcase and whilst the fights are great it's really much more of police action drama and pretty bloody good one at that.

Donnie's an intriguing dude. Historically I've never truly got on board with him. He's got a bit too much of a heel streak in him to be a straight up loveable hero. That said I seem to be warming to him in my old age. He'll never replace Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee or even Tony Jaa in my heart but damned if the fella doesn't have a butt load of charisma.

Flash Point is an excellent film. Trivia: it's the first kung-fu movie to feature an MMA-style fight sequence, with ground & pound in guard. Credit to the choreographers for not only trying something new, but also making it look great right out of the gate. Not sure, but I think it was probably Sammo Hung, who for my money is THE best martial arts choreographer and movie martial artist ever.

I've always liked Donnie Yen, and always felt he hadn't got the recognition he deserved, until Rogue One. As a movie martial artist, he's easily the equal of any of the big guns. If you haven't seen the first Ip Man film, watch it - he's great in it. I haven't seen the next two yet, but have been told they're pretty decent too.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Flash Point is an excellent film. Trivia: it's the first kung-fu movie to feature an MMA-style fight sequence, with ground & pound in guard. Credit to the choreographers for not only trying something new, but also making it look great right out of the gate. Not sure, but I think it was probably Sammo Hung, who for my money is THE best martial arts choreographer and movie martial artist ever.

I've always liked Donnie Yen, and always felt he hadn't got the recognition he deserved, until Rogue One. As a movie martial artist, he's easily the equal of any of the big guns. If you haven't seen the first Ip Man film, watch it - he's great in it. I haven't seen the next two yet, but have been told they're pretty decent too.

Yep I love Ip Man. It's a superb movie. He's very good in it too. It was probably the film that made me start falling a little bit in love with him rather than my aforementioned apathy. 

Action Choreography was done by Donnie himself and Hua Yan on Flash Point. I love Sammo though he's magic. I love his action Choreography and his on screen charisma is off the charts. Prodical Son is one of my favourites.

EDIT - I've just reread what I said about Donnie and I think I came off more negative than I meant to be. I like Donnie and always have but there's always been a slower build to me becoming a little bit obsessed with him. Same with Jet Li.

Edited by DEF

That German suplex at the start of Flash Point.

Like you say, Donnie's got a bit too much of a glint in his eye to be full on face, but that's why Ip Man is so great. Him being such a calm presence but building to the absolutely clinical beating in the climax is magnificent. Adds an edge to what could have been a tired Miyagi-type in other hands.

51hJmh6DKzL._SX342_.jpg

sunday_in_the_country-half-sheet.jpg

A.K.A 'Vengeance Is Mine'.

"Farmer (Ernest Borgnine) turns the tables on a killer (Michael J. Pollard) and his partners when they seek refuge at his homestead following a bank robbery and the killing if innocent civilians.

The trio of criminals senselessly kill a young couple alongside the country road near Ernie’s farm in order to switch cars. Of the three actors, it’s Michael J. Pollard who is the “name” actor of the group. He’s also the psychopath and the one responsible for all the violent killings. When they realize that road blocks have been set up, they move by foot through the brush and fields, finally staking out Ernie’s farm."

Prior to buying this movie, which was recently released on Blu Ray (with a DVD version included too and both discs are region free), I'd never actually heard of it. So glad I noticed it and took a punt on it though. Borgnine is excellent as the everyday farmer who takes great pleasure in turning the tables on the murderers and playing games with them. Right from the off you're already rooting for someone to take them down when they mercilessly kill an innocent couple on the roadside. Definetly recommended.

Edited by zep81

• Paid Members

Just finished watching "Hell House, LLC", which is a found footage mockumentary about a mysterious tragedy that occurred at a pop up "Haunt" that are big in the States. Wasn't expecting much going in(other than the fairly positive reviews, but I often find myself at odds with reviews), but I really enjoyed it. It's really creepy and a good premise too.

The sequel has been released this past week, so I'm going to give it a bash either later or tomorrow.

1270159-l.jpg?v=1402527600

"On a dark road, taxi driver Kyung-chul (Min-sik Choi) comes across a scared female motorist stranded in a broken-down vehicle. He pulls over -- but not to help her. When the woman's head is discovered in a local river, her devastated fiancé, Kim Soo-hyeon (Byung-hun Lee), a trained secret agent, becomes obsessed with hunting down her killer. Once he finds Kyung-chul, things get twisted. After brutally beating the murderer, Kim lets him go free, and a demented game of cat and mouse begins"

Can't believe I missed this back in 2011. Very bloody and violent Korean revenge movie about a serial killer who, not known to him, murders the wife of a secret agent, who then  relentlessly pursues him to ensure that he experiences the same terror he instilled in his victims. But the roles keep switching and it becomes an excellent and gritty cat and mouse story. It's a very interesting concept that does make you question the hero as well as the villain.

Tremendous film that the Koreans know how to do so well. Very recommended.