DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Me and the young one watched Triangle, I'll probably give it another watch but I think it tries to be too clever for its own good. It's still a cracking film to watch if you've got nothing else to do.

We both cackled at the absurdity of when "the killer" just lobs the gun at Jess.

I Saw The Devil 

I don’t think I’ve been so uncomfortable watching something ever.

It felt like a snuff film for the most part.  I’ve never wanted someone to be tortured as much as the bad guy in this, which is what you’re watching it for really so it did it’s job in that regard I guess.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I do love I Saw The Devil, but someone, probably @Devon Malcolm noted how the bad guy is like The Terminator, the amount of shit that happens to him!

It just took me completely out of it, it was just utterly ridiculous. There's a couple of great scenes in there but it just goes on forever.

• Paid Members

I absolutely despise I Saw The Devil. It's well made and everything but it's such a depressingly horrible film with no redeeming qualities. Full of nasty rape and murder scenes that add nothing to the plot other than highlighting how fucking horrible it is. It's a long, long film, it says absolutely nothing and made me hate the world.

The first 20 minutes was horrible viewing for me and left me feeling depressed, for the bad guy to then go on and do even more horrible things over the next 2 hours just left me with a sour taste in my mouth

I was expecting the end to be across the lines of “the hero” bringing the bad guys family in and killing them all in front of him but it just felt like the bad guy was constantly winning and that pissed me off

Last night I watched Philadelphia for the first time, after laying eyes on a synopsis and discovering it's not the random romance flick I'd assumed all these years.

I was hooked from the start, but by god, the scene with that nails-on-a-blackboard opera music after the party really took me out of it for a while. I honestly don't know what it was supposed to make me feel, but it just irritated the fuck out of me and turned me against Hanks' character for a few minutes. In a film bulging with social commentary, it was this prolonged, pretentious fawning over the glorious depth of fucking opera that felt like the only imposition.

Good movie though. Tom's got a bright future I reckon.

11 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Amazing you didn't know what that film was about. I've never seen it but at the height of my awareness of the AIDS epidemic as a kid this film was a pretty huge cultural reference point.

And this.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Amazing you didn't know what that film was about. I've never seen it but at the height of my awareness of the AIDS epidemic as a kid this film was a pretty huge cultural reference point.

AIDS wasn't really on my radar as a ten-year-old, so I've only ever heard the film referred to in sentences like "Tom Hanks, known for such hits as Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, and Sleepless in Seattle," and "Ah, Tom Hanks. If there's one film that always makes me cry it's Philadephia." Nothing's ever given me a hint at its subject matter till last night.

Apart from that Santino segment, which evidently washed over me at the time (as many WWE pop culture references do).