DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

If you've seen the director's first film, Beyond the Black Rainbow, then you'll know what you're getting. If you haven't, it's 110 hours of artsy lens colouring and 10 minutes of Nicolas Cage killing people and yelling. It's just shit.

Murder On The Orient Express

Very stylish and Branagh is a likeable Poirot, but this felt like a bunch of friends in a vanity project.  Cracking cast but the lack of tension made it more like a video Christmas card than a bone fide thriller.

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Murder On The Orient Express

Very stylish and Branagh is a likeable Poirot, but this felt like a bunch of friends in a vanity project.  Cracking cast but the lack of tension made it more like a video Christmas card than a bone fide thriller.

I had mixed feelings about it. It's a perfectly watchable murder mystery, but I just found it really underwhelming, lifeless and flat with underdeveloped characters. The cast is really good, but no-one is really given too much to do or given a chance to impress or shine. It should be much better than it ended up being, and should have had at least some memorable scenes or stand-out performances, but it didn't.

• Moderators

I really enjoyed The Predator. There were problems with it, and the sequel the ending set up for is a film I have zero interest in, but overall I thought it was good fun. I thought it was genuinely funny without being wacky, and the comedy didn't detract at all or make the action and story feel inconsequential.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

James Franco is brilliant in The Disaster Artist. I haven't actually watch The Room all the way through, just clips of the famous scenes on Youtube, but I still really enjoyed it.

Don't listen to @Devon Malcolm (though I'm sure he means well), it's a fantastic and incredibly interesting watch. The main point is to not watch it by yourself on the telly the first time as that final third can be a bit of a slog.

Me and the missus first watched it together at home and the initial novelty had worn off after the first 50 minutes. I'd recommend watching it at a screening (London and Birmingham have regular showings) and getting into the spirit of it all. We've been to quite a few since and they're tremendous fun. The audience participation takes it to another level and you actually notice a lot more baffling stuff than you would watching at home. 

For example, I didn't notice Lisa's weird neck lump until the second time I watched it at a screening and now it's one of my fave things about the movie. Same goes for the scene where Lisa seduces Mark, with Mark going on about "The candles, the music, the sexy dress" and I never picked up on what was wrong about it until a screening where the audience response was "What candles?? What music?? WHAT SEXY DRESS?!?".

That actually sounds like hell to me. I hate bad films and find no joy in them whatsoever but watching them in that environment would make it even worse. There's far too many good films I haven't seen to waste my time on the accidentally bad ones. Each to their own though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

That actually sounds like hell to me. I hate bad films and find no joy in them whatsoever but watching them in that environment would make it even worse. There's far too many good films I haven't seen to waste my time on the accidentally bad ones. Each to their own though.

It's definitely more of a social experience, at least for me. I could never watch it on my own or for a night in front of the telly, it would get dull fast. Watch it with a group of friends (or a cinema full of strangers) and preferably get yourself half in the bag too.

I know a lad who'll throw it on like it's one of his go-to cosy films and I can't wrap my head around that. Nothing sounds worse than voluntarily watching a terrible film by yourself.

18 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

James Franco is brilliant in The Disaster Artist. I haven't actually watch The Room all the way through, just clips of the famous scenes on Youtube, but I still really enjoyed it.

I mean, I've seen it a number of times, and have been to the Prince Charles Cinema screenings, love the book, love the film, love Franco, but I would say if you haven't seen The Room, you might as well watch the OSW review of it, as it's genuinely piss funny...

I must be in the minority that thought that James Franco in The Diaster Artist was overhyped. He has the Wiseau laugh and mannerisms down, but he never came close to nailing the accent at any point. The film itself is very good, but its worth reading Greg Sestero’s book to get the whole story.

As for The Room, everyone should see it once and it’s definitely better when watching with someone so you can both have a laugh. Unlike the ‘Deliberately Shit/In On The Joke’ genre that’s grown over the last few years with the likes of Sharknado, Birdemic, Samurai Cop 2, Shark Exorcist et al, it’s an interesting film, for lack of a better term, made by someone who didn’t seem to  have a clue what he was doing

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Josie And The Pussycats

I'd never seen this before and dismissed it as some teen music film.  I'd heard the soundtrack enough as this is one of my partners favourite films, the CD is in the car and as been played more than once.  Well it certainly isn't a teen film, it's a wonderful satire and genuinely funny.  I was thinking of The Simpsons and the Yvan Eht Nioj thing for a lot of it.  Tara Reid and Parker Posey were brilliant.

And "Backdoor Lover" by Du-Jour is a banger.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Josie And The Pussycats

I'd never seen this before and dismissed it as some teen music film.  I'd heard the soundtrack enough as this is one of my partners favourite films, the CD is in the car and as been played more than once.  Well it certainly isn't a teen film, it's a wonderful satire and genuinely funny.  I was thinking of The Simpsons and the Yvan Eht Nioj thing for a lot of it.  Tara Reid and Parker Posey were brilliant.

And "Backdoor Lover" by Du-Jour is a banger.

If you enjoyed it, you might like Riverdale on Netflix, which is also based on the Archie comics. Gets a bit ridiculous in places, especially with the "dark" atmosphere they imbue it with, but it's an engrossing watch, and the portrayal of JATP in that is also quite well done.