DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

On 9/16/2018 at 12:16 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Murder On The Orient Express

Very stylish and Branagh is a likeable Poirot, but this felt like a bunch of friends in a vanity project.  Cracking cast but the lack of tension made it more like a video Christmas card than a bone fide thriller.

I ended up seeing that at the cinema twice for various reasons, and both times the audience was primarily made up of elderly people, and mostly women. They all seemed to be more than happy with it at the end, and lets be honest, that age group aren't usually shy in letting the world know if they aren't happy about something.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

As for The Room, everyone should see it once and it’s definitely better when watching with someone so you can both have a laugh. Unlike the ‘Deliberately Shit/In On The Joke’ genre that’s grown over the last few years with the likes of Sharknado, Birdemic, Samurai Cop 2, Shark Exorcist et al, it’s an interesting film, for lack of a better term, made by someone who didn’t seem to  have a clue what he was doing

Yeah, I find The Room unfairly lumped with shite like Sharknado and the Asylum movies. There's a big difference between bad films and films that are bad on purpose. There's something very heartwarming about a terrible movie that the writer/director put his heart and soul (and finances) into, whereas these "OMGZ GIANT SHARKS AND Z-LIST CELEBRITIES MEGA LOLZ! RANDOM!" films are made to entertain the same audiences who always go out of their way to point out that Die Hard is their favourite Christmas movie. 

Red Letter Media's 'Best Of The Worst' series offers a brilliant insight into bad movies and why they can be so entertaining, whilst also shaming the movies which are shamelessly bad (and boring).

• Paid Members

I've ranted about my issue with The Room beyond finding it just an incredibly boring film before so I'm not going to rake over old ground. But I did find it amusing that James Franco of all people would be the one to apparently get such a handle on material by a man like Tommy Wiseau. Birds of a feather and all that.

I watched Abigail's Party for the first time last night and it's just as brilliant as it's always been made out to be. I've not watched nearly enough Mike Leigh films but I'm really looking forward to Peterloo.

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched Abigail's Party for the first time last night and it's just as brilliant as it's always been made out to be. I've not watched nearly enough Mike Leigh films but I'm really looking forward to Peterloo.

Abigails Party has my favourite on screen

heart attack

, it's just wonderful.  For some reason I love how Tony sort of played for Crystal Palace!

Back in the mid 90s, someone I knew had a Mike Leigh party where you had to go as a character from his repertoire.  Obviously I thought this was terrible and didn't go.  My mate went as Colin from Meantime (Which again is note perfect) which consisted of him wearing a green parka and saying "I'm a painter and decorator" repeatedly.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

For some reason I love how Tony sort of played for Crystal Palace!

Yeah, that was John Salthouse improvising and basing it on the fact that he briefly played for Palace before an injury ended his career.

• Awards Moderator

Film fans!

If anyone is in London before the 20th January, I can not recommend ‘The Clock’ at Tate Modern highly enough.

They've taken thousands and thousands of movie clips that reference time or the passing of time, edited them together and synced them up with real time. 

So if you went in at 4pm you’d see the 4pm clips, 11.15am at 11.15am etc. We watched 8.30pm-9.30pm the other night and it was just so absorbing. Going from Sherlock Holmes checking his pocketwatch to Atticus Finch putting Scout to bed (another pocketwatch) to Hayden Christensen on top of Big Ben, with so many clips from films I’d never seen in between.

And once a month they’re showing the full 24 hours. 

It is genius - and I don’t use that word without meaning it. Go.

• Paid Members

20th Century Women is on Netflix and it's very good. The film is a lovely blend of funny and poignant, with a really good soundtrack (featuring Talking Heads and Bowie).

It's another tremendous performance from Annette Bening, who completely nails the twists of her character. Puzzling that she never got an Oscar nomination for this, but that's the Oscars for you.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

20th Century Women is on Netflix and it's very good. The film is a lovely blend of funny and poignant, with a really good soundtrack (featuring Talking Heads and Bowie).

It's another tremendous performance from Annette Bening, who completely nails the twists of her character. Puzzling that she never got an Oscar nomination for this, but that's the Oscars for you.

Yes, it's a fantastic film. I feared it coming in, especially with Greta Gerwig involved (I hadn't liked anything with her involved at all until this and Lady Bird) but it was one of the best films I saw last year.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Saw Searching tonight after some recommendations in this thread. Very cooly presented and loved how it all came together. At one point I thought the ending would be one of them open ones where we don't know what happened. A good watch nevertheless and agree that I will need to watch again to see if there was anything obvious I missed. 

Edited by Briefcase

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I know you're only vaguely alluding to something there but if I watch the film now and try to figure out where it's going you've eliminated one option for me to guess at.

Yeah, hate shit like that and "The twist was great"  Fuck off.

I Kill Giants.  Really sweet film about a sensitive subject, handled it really well.  Great performances and worth 2 hours of your time.  I'm told it captured the comic really well.

• Paid Members

A Simple Favour - really enjoyable thriller that falls apart a bit near the end as it can't really sort out what it wants to do. But it's otherwise excellent and surprisingly dark at times with its character. Manages to tread the line between comedy and thriller extremely well and that's hard to do. Great change of pace from Paul Feig, I would like to see him do more of this sort of thing.

Mile 22 - I can sort of see why people might crap on this considering what an idiot Marky Mark is but it's a more than decent action film that zips along nicely. Lauren Cohan completely outshines Ronda Rousey as well.