DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

E. L. James made it impossible for anyone to make something decent out of her shite books, because she had too much creative control over the film. It's why the sex scenes are so bloody dull and the dialogue is hilariously rubbish (lile her books).

Edited by ColinBollocks

I've always liked a bit of Peckinpah. The Wild Bunch is by far his most accessible film though. Straw Dogs is horrid but Dodgy Dustin puts in a cracking turn. Convoy was a bit of a childhood favourite. Ernest Borgnine *was great  in most things wasn't he.

*Assuming he is no more or at least retired.

• Paid Members

Borgnine carked it 6 years ago unfortunately but yeah, always a joy to see him in anything.

Here he is getting battered by a one-armed Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock, one of the greatest films of the 1950s and probably all time.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Film4 are showing a double-bill of Predator

Hang on. ITV have given up the licence to show Predator? Next they'll bin off Shaun of the Dead, and then what will ITV4 show? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Hang on. ITV have given up the licence to show Predator? Next they'll bin off Shaun of the Dead, and then what will ITV4 show? 

Hot Fuzz two more times a week.

Final Score.

Straight to DVD bollocks with Big Dave trying to show emotion with his face too often and Pierce Brosnan phoning it in, which is exactly what the plot deserved.  Great moment when

The Terrorists take over the Sky studio and shoot Tony Cottee live on air, shame it literally wasn't Redknapp but there you go

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

E. L. James made it impossible for anyone to make something decent out of her shite books, because she had too much creative control over the film. It's why the sex scenes are so bloody dull and the dialogue is hilariously rubbish (lile her books).

I bet it was a man who wrote it. Like the original "Emmanuelle" book.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I bet it was a man who wrote it. Like the original "Emmanuelle" book.

I worked in TV with EL James when in fact, at that time, she was innocent little Erika Leonard. This would have been 2006/2008 ish. It was years latter I found out about her pen name. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Borgnine carked it 6 years ago unfortunately but yeah, always a joy to see him in anything.

Here he is getting battered by a one-armed Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock, one of the greatest films of the 1950s and probably all time.

A friend of mine who's a massive martial arts buff and martial arts movie aficionado told me that that was the first ever Western movie scene to show Eastern martial arts. 

• Paid Members

Ahh, fair enough! It did get me thinking about other westerns with martial arts in them. There's some in Red Sun although that's a bit of a cheat because it's got Toshiro Mifune in it. Quality film though, exactly as cool as you'd expect a Mifune / Charles Bronson / Alain Delon western to be.

• Paid Members

I didn't know Mifune did a Western. Thanks for that, will see if I can get hold of it.

The only other Western I know to feature martial arts was Kung Fu, but, obviously, a series rather than a film.