DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Dark Side of the Moon  : The acting was a lot better than the lack of budget visuals – particularly for a film from 1990 – would have you believe on first impression. Some parts

with the divvil were cheesy and wound up beating you over the head with the character

, but there were some really good ideas in there and with a bigger budget, I reckon they could have made something special. Thoroughly enjoyed it and can see where WS Anderson got some ideas for Event Horizon from.

Night of the Running Man : How this movie doesn’t get more love is beyond me. Andrew McCarthy, bollocks deep in the arsehole that dropped out of his career, gives a very, very good twitchy lead performance and proves he’s not just the smarmy version of James Spader. It’s quite a grim and gritty outing and comes highly recommended from me.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Glad you quite liked it, Branquey! The devil sound effects were quite crappy but it's not a bad little film.

I actially watched Night of the Running Man last week, it was quite interesting that the lead was such a prick, not something you see often in a film like that.

• Paid Members

The Nice Guys (2016)

What a movie this was! I tried watching it about a year and a half ago and my WiFi/the stream was a disaster at the time, and it took me about 2 hours to watch 40 minutes of it. Then I came accross it on Netflix a few days ago and said "this will do me lovely" and I was able to watch it the whole way through. I laughed my balls off the whole way through it. Gosling and Crowe were fantastic in it. Is it any wonder people are getting excited about Shane Black being involved with The Predator, when he's coming out with stuff as good as this was. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Watched Argo last night. Very good drama/caper. I'm sure most of you have seen this already what with winning all the awards and actually looking interesting. But if not it's based on the true story of the CIA creating a fake film crew to extract 5 Americans in hiding in Iran in the early 80s.

Affleck really is a top notch director. It's a very gripping and tense watch at times. I watched the extended cut as I've read that it actually does add to the film rather than bloat it and certainly it still felt tight to me.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! Fuck you, I love musicals. Ok so I do think this could have been shorter but ultimately it delivered in the warm and fuzzy feels department. If you're wondering does Abba actually have enough hits for this sequel the answer is no. Some (not all) of the song choices are definitely scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Thankfully they do the right thing and revisit some of the classics from the first film as well as having a few new genuine hits amongst the padding.

Police Story is probably my favourite Jackie Chan film and I think you could make an argument for it being one of best action movies of all time. In a completely different way to something like Die Hard, T2, Commando, Demolition Man, Con Air, Hard Boiled or Hard Target. Much like those films though it makes me feel like a excited little kid  again every single time I watch it. It's a warm blanket of insane stunts, badassery and the odd bit of classic JC comedy. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and find it by any means necessary. The new Eureka Blu-ray is 100% the best it has ever looked by a country mile but has a couple of audio issues on the initial release that have led to it being recalled. I had a pre-order and got hands on it. The issue really didn't bother me but they are sending a replacement disc anyway.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Affleck as actor and director. Live by Night was a misstep but it still wasn't too bad. I hope he's not too perturbed by its reception because he was shaping into the best crime director around.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Caught Searching again last night now it's on general release.  Sometimes a thriller can be even more fun on a subsequent viewing as you notice clues and possible foreshadowing and this was one of those kind of viewings.

Thumbs up across the board.

That’s good to hear, I’m looking forward to watching this.

• Paid Members

Started watching Rogue One last night. Fucking boring as all hell, turned it off about 45 minutes in and I can usually sit through a boring/shit film just to see the slog through. I'll probably pick it up again tonight. Oh, and all the shoe horned references are really embarrassing. "Look! This is like old Star Wars! You like that, don't you? Look! It's the man from the Cantina! Isn't this great?". Get fucked.

Edited by Accident Prone

I started watching Upgrade last night but got a bit sleepy and really wanted to give it my full attention as it looks fucking ace. Upon noticing how much the chap looks like Tom Hardy I imdb'd him only to discover a bunch of roles I always thought were played by Tom Hardy.