DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

That's some coincidence. I had Tau and Infini lined up for tonight.

Is Tau really shite? I'm not Ed Skrein's biggest fan anyway, so if you're recommending I swerve it, I'll just stick to Infini and a bit of Corrie instead.

Also, just on a side note, I have the novelization of Event Horizon and it's going for ignorant amounts of money (with respect to a paperback) on auction sites. If I wasn't so sentimental I'd be 70 quid richer...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

It starts off quite well but then becomes really boring and pointless. Skrein is alright and Maika Monroe wears some shorts at one point, otherwise it's not really worth it.

2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

I really enjoyed Upgrade. It was much nastier than I was expecting & it had a 90's throwback feel to it. The only gripe was the lead actor looked so much like a skinnier Tom Hardy it was almost distracting.

Another decent find was American Animals. True story about a bunch of college students who decided to rob some valuable art from their college library. It's a well trodden genre but they put a different spin on it with voice overs/cut away scenes involving the actual wannabe criminals. Highly recommended.  

I thought Tom Hardy had an unusually small part in Prometheus until I Imdb'd this guy after Upgrade.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I liked Rogue One. I preferred Solo.

You're the first person I've ever heard say that, and I loiter round some grottily pro-Star Wars areas of the Internet. 

Rogue One is getting almost universal praise as a really great standalone film (I loved it at first and it gets better with each watch). Solo is fine, but completely ephemeral. Han starts as a scoundrel... and ends as one. Just romps around a bit. Dead person cameo aside, it's just fluff. 

• Paid Members

But I'd say the same of Rogue One. With Solo I think it strengthened a couple of the series' main characters but with Rogue One it was a case that we knew what happened at the end anyway, and the journey there wasn't as interesting as it should have been.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

You're the first person I've ever heard say that, and I loiter round some grottily pro-Star Wars areas of the Internet. 

Rogue One is getting almost universal praise as a really great standalone film (I loved it at first and it gets better with each watch). Solo is fine, but completely ephemeral. Han starts as a scoundrel... and ends as one. Just romps around a bit. Dead person cameo aside, it's just fluff. 

I second Devon. Maybe it was the low expectations and brilliant turn from Donald Glover. But I thought Solo was great fun and sad people avoided it due to the behind the scenes drama. Saying that, I think Star Wars now has the worst fan base since Wrestling

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Saying that, I think Star Wars now has the worst fan base since Wrestling

Unquestionably, since Last Jedi. I've never seen a usually joyful, light-hearted fandom tear itself a-fucking-part over whether one film in a forty year franchise has wrecked it. /r/starwars is completely unbearable. TFN has imploded. Every single discussion comes back to whether Rian Johnson is a cunt or not. 

Agreed with johnnyboy. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Thanks for the reminder that Paddington is on Prime. I can't remember the last time I was charmed by a film in such a way. Both films are genuinely very funny and everyone is really good in the films. The worry early doors is it's going to be "quirky" overload, but they get it right.

The 2nd film, in particular, is very worthy of all the gushing praise it received. It wasn't until a scene near the end, where they clearly nod towards it that I noticed the film is inspired by It's A Wonderful Life.

Better than Star Wars.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Thanks for the reminder that Paddington is on Prime. I can't remember the last time I was charmed by a film in such a way. Both films are genuinely very funny and everyone is really good in the films. The worry early doors is it's going to be "quirky" overload, but they get it right.

The 2nd film, in particular, is very worthy of all the gushing praise it received. It wasn't until a scene near the end, where they clearly nod towards it that I noticed the film is inspired by It's A Wonderful Life.

Better than Star Wars.

I’m sure I read that Paddington 2 is eligible for the Oscars next year after a late US release. If so, campaign for Hugh Grant for best supporting actor

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Rogue One. Lots of action, lots of drama, great to see Donnie Yen getting more mainstream Hollywood work, and I'm now firmly of the belief that there is no better, more terrifying introduction to Darth Vader than his full-on assault scene in that film.