DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

For what it's worth theres a flawless copy of Upgrade knocking around the usual places. Not a secret camera in an oversized hat jobby or anything.

Yeah, I was just hoping to catch it at the cinema. Ahh well, it's better than nowt.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

There are 2 cinemas in the town where I live.  They aren't showing hip new releases, but they are showing films that have been out for a few weeks at both of them.  As they're run by the same company they could better utilise their screens for my benefit.

My 'lottery dream' (there's a thread in that) is to open a proper independent cinema in this neck of the woods. I hear about wondrous places showing obscure films, or devoting a week to a director or genre, or showing a whole trilogy / series... yeah, I'd love some of that. 

16 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Neither Upgrade or American Animals are showing round here, yet I can still see Christopher Robin, Mamma Mia: HWGA, The Incredibles 2, The Meg and The Equalizer 2 at both cinemas (run by the same chain) in the town.

Upgrade is'nt showing at any cinema in Liverpool. The huge Odeon in the city centre and the big independent FACT usually cover anything thats showing atm here. Upgrade is a total pain in the arse though. Saw it on pirate and loved it. Would love to see it at the cinema. Can't be arsed driving to Manchester to see it again though.

The Dinner

Cracker of a cast; Rebecca Hall,Laura Linney, Richard Gere, Steve Coogan,and whilst it's so hard for me to watch Coogan and not see Partridge, that is incredibly unfair as I think he's really bloody good in this, dodgy accent aside.

Sierra Burgess Is A Loser

Another sweet film from Netflix,if a bit heavy handed. One criticism that might belong in the "I'm Old Now" thread, the music was bloody loud, and louder than the dialogue in some places.

Bad Moms

More fun than it had any right to be, and I Iove Kristen Bell.

• Paid Members

The Wild Bunch (1969)

I was going to say "what a great western". Really though, that wouldn't be fair. "What a great film" is more appropriate. I was unaware of it until recently, and I watched it there this evening and I'm very glad I did. William Holden and Ernest Borgnine lead a group of outlaws on one last hurrah, and it's do or die. A tale of ageing gunslingers, determined to try and make it out the other side following a daring heist, but seemingly aware that the odds of that working out aren't exactly in their favour. Well worth your time. 

48 Hrs. (1982)

It's not as good as I seem to remember it being but it's still an enjoyable buddy cop film. Nolte and Murphy's personality clash are pretty perfect for this kind of film, but there are better examples, particularly in the 80's, if you wanted to watch something from this genre. Still, it's a fun and easy 90 minutes. 

Wild Bunch is bloody ace.  It's one me and my brother always argue about.  I'm a fan of Peckinpah but my brother isn't.  Obligatory "Apparently, more rounds of ammunition were used in The Wild Bunch than in the Mexican Revolution, or something" factoid.

• Paid Members

I'm not a fan of Peckinpah either and I didn't like The Wild Bunch when I saw it 20 years ago, but I definitely need to see it again. But I've never really liked any of his films and I think I've seen most of them now.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm not a fan of Peckinpah either and I didn't like The Wild Bunch when I saw it 20 years ago, but I definitely need to see it again. But I've never really liked any of his films and I think I've seen most of them now.

Pretty much this for me. I remember really wanting to like it but it left me super cold. And I love people getting shot as much as anyone. I really should give it another go.

• Paid Members

I watched Blackkklansman. I'm not a huge Spike Lee fan - more miss than hit, for me (although he did give us Brolin v Olsen, am a right lads). However, this is undeniably excellent.

Funny, entertaining and very poignant. I won't deny that I had a silent tear run down my face come the end.

Also, Adam Driver. Recognise!

Inferno.

Yeah, it's a Dan Brown nonsense but I thought the first two were watchable guff, mainly down to the always watchable Tom Hanks.  This is probably better than the one with Ewan McGregor but it's still guff.  The plot has more holes than my lungs.

• Paid Members

Fifty Shades of Grey - A film so bad I was actually angry with myself for sitting through. I knew it was supposed to be horrid but it's next level repulsive. Putting aside the HUGE problems I have with the abuse for entertainment narrative, it's just badly made too. I couldn't believe the inept music choices that just destroyed the flow of the movie and practically slapped the target audience in the face with patronising glee. The sex scenes are dull as dishwater. There's no heat, no tension and no excitement. Just saddness and depression. A horrible representation of BDSM, sex and relationships.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

They don't get a lot better.  The virgin reveal always makes me laugh though.

Spoiler for the end of the series...

Hide contents

She changes him and they live happily ever after.

Haha. Needless to say I won't be watching any further.