DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Event Horizon - Still outstanding. It's still - to me - the best Sci-Fi horror of all time. The only thing that has always annoyed me in the movie is the character of Cooper. He's a nothing character and his delivery of every line is appalling (I felt the same about him in Phone Booth).

Anyway, I have the adaptation novel and the score and I'm going out to my car on lunch to put the cd in and read the book and be happy

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Event Horizon - Still outstanding. It's still - to me - the best Sci-Fi horror of all time. The only thing that has always annoyed me in the movie is the character of Cooper. He's a nothing character and his delivery of every line is appalling (I felt the same about him in Phone Booth).

Anyway, I have the adaptation novel and the score and I'm going out to my car on lunch to put the cd in and read the book and be happy

I've always felt weird about Event Horizon; I love it and don't love it at the same time. As a film, it's magnificent. My problem (and it really is just my problem) is that I always had trouble with "cross-pollination" of sci-fi with supernatural horror. Just feels like the two shouldn't mix. The fact that most sci-fi/supernatural horror has been mostly shit (the Hellraiser and Friday 13th sequels set in space being prime examples of it) hasn't helped.

But, by the same token, Event Horizon is fucking great because it demonstrates exactly how supernatural sci-fi horror should be done, I guess. It's pretty much what Hellraiser IV should've been. Excellent performances all round, horrendously claustrophobic and fraught atmosphere, well-paced plot - a well-crafted film.

• Paid Members

Jason X was great though. One of those films that had no right to be as much fun as it is. Jason X isn't a supernatural film anyway, it's a slasher film.

I don't think there have ever been that many sci-fi / supernatural horror crossovers anyway. The Dark Side of the Moon did it pretty well in the early 90s, might even have been an influence on Event Horizon, which is brilliant. I can't think of many others at all. I don't see any reason why the two 'shouldn't' mix.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Jason X was great though. One of those films that had no right to be as much fun as it is. Jason X isn't a supernatural film anyway, it's a slasher film.

I don't think there have ever been that many sci-fi / supernatural horror crossovers anyway. The Dark Side of the Moon did it pretty well in the early 90s, might even have been an influence on Event Horizon, which is brilliant. I can't think of many others at all. I don't see any reason why the two 'shouldn't' mix.

Like I say, I fully acknowledge it's my problem. You're right that there's no reason whatsoever that they shouldn't, especially when something as good as Event Horizon exists. I'm sort of softening on it these days, especially as The Dark Tower book series has become one of my favourites.

Other crossovers I can think of (and I appreciate there's a level of ambiguity as to the supernatural element): Sunshine (which is ace), and Solaris (which I've only seen bits of).

• Paid Members

Pandorum was another belter in that particular genre. Was pretty much Dead Space - The Movie, or The Descent mixed with Event Horizon. Job was done on me. I had my boxers pulled over my jeans gripping each side like a handle, throughout.

Also echo the love for Jason X. When I was selling my first house (a disaster period in my life) after me and the ex broke up and I was living on my own, I pretty much watched Unbreakable, Cube 2 : Hypercube, Hudson Hawk and Jason X on repeat to cope with things. Don't ask me why, but they helped me a lot.

• Paid Members

Sunshine was great until the end. Pandorum was really good, mainly because of the boy Foster.

Solaris isn't a horror film so you can't really lump that in with these.

If you can find it, I would recommend The Dark Side of the Moon. It's a bit cheesy in places but has a really good atmosphere and is pretty good considering its budget and cast.

• Paid Members

Will check that out myself too.

BTW I've been looking at the possibility of a subscription to BFI Player. Seems to have a wealth of stuff on there I'd like to watch. Can anyone else speak to whether or not it's worth it?

EDIT: They have a shit-ton of stuff for free, too.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Come on lads. The greatest horror sci fi cross over is Alien. It's a haunted house movie....in space!

I do have a soft spot for Event Horizon though, although Paul W S Anderson hasn't made a decent film since and i'm 90% sure it was the fact he had Adrian Biddle as his cinematographer and a seasoned bunch of British pros sorting his shit out.

• Paid Members

Oh, there have been loads of sci-fi horror films that have been good, Carbomb was talking more about supernatural ones. Unless he did actually mean the whole sci-fi horror genre.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Oh, there have been loads of sci-fi horror films that have been good, Carbomb was talking more about supernatural ones. Unless he did actually mean the whole sci-fi horror genre.

No, just the supernatural ones.

Think I'd agree that Alien is probably the best sci-fi horror ever. Pitch Black is bloody good too.

• Paid Members

It's a genre I really like. There's a whole load from the 1950s that I love, and the 80s and 90s were really good for them as well. I think I did a list of my favourites once on Letterboxd but I'll be buggered if I can find it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, chokeout said:

Come on lads. The greatest horror sci fi cross over is Alien. It's a haunted house movie....in space!

I do have a soft spot for Event Horizon though, although Paul W S Anderson hasn't made a decent film since and i'm 90% sure it was the fact he had Adrian Biddle as his cinematographer and a seasoned bunch of British pros sorting his shit out.

Not having that. It is an undisputed fact that if Jason Statham is in a film and he punches something then it is automatically a great film. Death Race says PWSA has made at least two good films.