DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I really enjoyed Rogue One. Lots of action, lots of drama, great to see Donnie Yen getting more mainstream Hollywood work, and I'm now firmly of the belief that there is no better, more terrifying introduction to Darth Vader than his full-on assault scene in that film.

Absolutely - Vader has never been more frightening to me than in that scene. I love Rogue One, want to watch it again now instead of going to work. I was so cynical about Solo beforehand but it was such great fun, it’s a real shame so few people (comparatively) saw it. Enfys Nest for the win.

Agreed with Onyx on the horrible state of Star Wars fandom at the moment.

Even as a massive Star Wars fan I can’t argue with anyone who’d put Paddington 1 or 2 above it. Lovely, lovely couple of films.

The Nice Guys

Indeed excellent. Deserved of all the praise its got on here.

Bushwick

Enjoyed this, apart from the lead actress being atrocious. Bit ramshackle and the ending descended into cliche way too rapidly, but Big Dave was great, and soundtracked by one of my favourite rapper and producers ever, Aesop Rock.

That Awkward Moment

Bloody loved it, what can I say. I love Zac Efron. 

• Paid Members

Searching is very good. Certainly elevated by its unusual presentation but also by John Cho, who is a fantastic actor who has killed it in both Columbus and this as lead actor. Well worth seeing.

Searching

Fucking Hell that first 5 or so minutes nearly had me in tears, was hooked the whole way through, will probably watch again tomorrow just to get my head around it all and try to see if I missed anything, gave me chills that’s for sure.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Yeah, I wasn't remotely interested in The Nun as I didn't like either of The Conjuring films. I'd imagine it has a bunch of stuff in it to connect it to The Conjuring 2, which it's a spin-off from.

• Paid Members

As part of my "Films I Haven't Seen Still At The Ripe Old Age Of Thirty" project, I watched The Warriors last night. Really enjoyed it, definitely feels like it holds up to modern standards. Very inclusive too, loved that all the gangs had no discrimination against race or creed (can't say the same about the homophobia though, which is weird considering what they were all wearing. Very flamboyant stuff).

Also, I watched Red Letter Media's review(s) of Rogue One on my lunch yesterday and I'm relieved to see that at least someone agrees with my opinion on it. I love those hack frauds.

• Paid Members

American Animals is absolutely great. Does some brilliant genre-shifting stuff and if you liked what Bart Layton did with The Imposter then you should feel much the same about this. This guy is a huge talent.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

American Animals is absolutely great. Does some brilliant genre-shifting stuff and if you liked what Bart Layton did with The Imposter then you should feel much the same about this. This guy is a huge talent.

Ace isn't it? I had no idea the lead guy was Irish either until looking up the cast afterwards. Loved how they managed to almost put a new spin on a well trodden genre with the almost 'semi-doc' approach.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I don't like Martin McDonaghs' films for the most part, and this reminded me of one of them.

This really isn't much like his films at all. There's humour in it but it's there for a reason rather than just for the sake of it. I think you'll be in safe hands. Have you seen The Imposter?

• Paid Members

I think if you like that then you will like this, even though this isn't a documentary. I don't want to give away much about it but the styles are quite similar and he's dealing with true life crime cases in both films. Hope you enjoy The Imposter, I thought it was an amazing piece of work.

• Paid Members

Oh, I've seen American Animals. I watched it the same night I watched Upgrade, and I did like it but didn't love it. I'd watched Upgrade first and was buzzing after that. It was a 2am job and I was banjaxed at that stage so it probably didn't get a fair crack that it deserved. My mate has been banging on at me to give it another whirl, so I shall...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Oh sorry, I misunderstood! Didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you or owt on it. I reckon you will like The Imposter a fair bit more.

Fuming that Upgrade wasn't on at a decent time round here, I was looking forward to that all through the summer.