Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

What’s with other promotions using former PPV names? Had WWE let the trademarks on “Rebellion” and “Bash at the Beach” lapse or something?

That's exactly it, I know Cody snapped up Bash last year but I think WWE let some them go long before that.

  • Paid Members
Posted
28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That's exactly it, I know Cody snapped up Bash last year but I think WWE let some them go long before that.

So what does that mean for the past events? I mean, clearly nothing as the events are still on WWE Network, but how can WWE still continue to market the name if they no longer own it?

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

So what does that mean for the past events? I mean, clearly nothing as the events are still on WWE Network, but how can WWE still continue to market the name if they no longer own it?

Fair use. By definition they can't be infringing on AEW's intellectual property by promoting events that happened about thirty years before AEW even existed.

Secondly, AEW would actually have to complain, which they won't do, because they don't want a legal battle with WWE. Especially not one that they'd definitely lose.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

https://whatculture.com/wwe/impact-wrestling-returning-to-its-tna-roots

I don't hate this at all tbh. Whereas I can understand the need to move away from the tarnished image of TNA, it does hold name value (be it good or bad) and maybe by now even an element of nostalgia? 

Obviously leading to a Moose (Tna) v Tessa (Impact) match down the line.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members
Posted

Just caught up with this thread. Returning to "TNA" is a bit crap, IMO, because it was always a crap name that was intended to be smirky, and had outstayed its welcome by the first ever event, like the Be-Sharps. Sure, "Impact Wrestling" was always a bit shit too, but I don't think it warrants going back to even shitter ground.

Other than that, the only other thing I have to say is that Mike Jackson's ring gear is awesome.

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

NJPW

AJPW

NOAH

Also:

Joint Promotions

Dale Martin Promotions

Premier Promotions

Celtic Wrestling

WWWF

Chikara

DragonGate

BJPW

UWFi

Kaientai Dojo

JAPW

WCCW

IWA:MS

IPW:UK

 

And any number of old NWA:something promotions. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They're literally called IMPACT.

My response was to do with the talk of changing back to TNA

But as Its been proven I was talking nonsense anyway though I was thinking of more mainstream companies always seemingly having 3 letters.

I must admit I totally had a brain fart on not thinking of the Japanese companies however

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

To be fair, there was a point where every bloody promotion on the independent scene (read: not WWF/E) was using the three-letter formula. Only exceptions I can think of are IPW:UK, IWA:MS and NWA:UK Hammerlock. TNA were at one point NWA:TNA, but I think they dropped that only a few years later. 

Edited by Carbomb
  • Moderators
Posted

Or you'd get something like Pro Pain Professional Wrestling pronunced as 3PW because chants and that 

Posted

Enjoying Celtic Wrestling's place in the cultural zeitgeist. No other promotion would dare do an arm wrestling match for a car as a tournament final and then end it in a no-contest so the owner of said car didn't have to give it away. ?

Posted
1 hour ago, AshC said:

Enjoying Celtic Wrestling's place in the cultural zeitgeist. No other promotion would dare do an arm wrestling match for a car as a tournament final and then end it in a no-contest so the owner of said car didn't have to give it away. ?

'No other promotion would dare'.

Yeah there's a reason for that 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...