I think in daily use most wrestling fans overlook the pun in the name, but whenever I've mentioned it to non-fans I've found myself overpronouncing the letters self-consciously.

• Paid Members

I saw somewhere recently (might have been Cultaholic) that TNA was originally going to stand for something like 'Tuesday Night Action', but then got changed nights. That would, at least, have seemed like it wasn't just a forced gag. As it is, it sounds like it started with the initialism and then they worked out the title.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

As it is, it sounds like it started with the initialism and then they worked out the title.

Which is still further than NXT's gotten.

"T&A" meaning "tits and ass" was never really a British thing but it certainly was in America. The name was a massive hindrance to the promotion, everytime anyone said it on any kind of mainstream media thing there was always raised eyebrows and the wrestler would always have to explain it stood for Total Nonstop Action.

Impact Wrestling isn't the best name but it's better than TNA. I liked GFW the best of the name they used.

In retrospect they should probably have just bought the rights to the NWA in 2005 or whenever it was when they seperated.

19 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

In retrospect they should probably have just bought the rights to the NWA in 2005 or whenever it was when they seperated.

I was only thinking that the other day ..as for the early TNA days I've a soft spot for it up until 07-08 then it went down hill

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I can only ever read GFW as "Geoff Wrestling".

01-1.jpg?w=584

I'd watch. Geoff vs. The Butcher from AEW please. Or Geoff vs. PAC in a Quayside Death Match.

(Thanks for the image @Astro Hollywood - https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/tag/byker-grove/ everyone)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Like most members of this forum I'll bet, it was Byker Grove that allowed me to become a fan of Ric Flair.

Whenever I saw him in magazines I always thought he looked old and boring, and certainly didn't belong on my walls alongside colourful characters like Tatanka and Marty Jannetty.

But then I saw one of the Byker kids (Frew, possibly) had a Flair poster in his bedroom, and I figured if the Nature Boy was cool enough for a BBC set designer's image of British youth culture, then he was cool enough for me. Up went the posters.

Ric Flair was something that was impossible to explain to a non-wrestling fan, or anyone who'd not seen him.  I remember seeing clips of this old man in red pants in WCW in the 90s and thinking "he looks embarrassing".  I didn't really see any of him until he arrived in WWE, when he really WAS old.  And had a noticeable lisp.  And was completely brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...