Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

Aye. The Steve Austin Show has been really good since it returned. The Mark Henry interview is one of Steve's best too.

Hopefully Austin realises the necessity to get good guests on most weeks. He got into a proper rut before he had a break from his show.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Aye. The Steve Austin Show has been really good since it returned. The Mark Henry interview is one of Steve's best too.

Hopefully Austin realises the necessity to get good guests on most weeks. He got into a proper rut before he had a break from his show.

Pretty sure he's very aware of that, but even for a big name like Austin securing a decent interview each week isn't easy. I don't know if he explained the podcast hiatus but I thought it was because he felt burned out by two shows a week and the constant struggle to put out new content that was up to the very high standards he sets for himself.

They will have lined up these new guests over the past few months, but it'll be tough to keep up week to week. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pretty sure he's very aware of that, but even for a big name like Austin securing a decent interview each week isn't easy. I don't know if he explained the podcast hiatus but I thought it was because he felt burned out by two shows a week and the constant struggle to put out new content that was up to the very high standards he sets for himself.

They will have lined up these new guests over the past few months, but it'll be tough to keep up week to week. 

Indeed, but I hope he realises that if it's turning into him interviewing his non-wrestling mates again week after week, he's probably best taking a few weeks off until he sorts out a guest list. I assume his ad revenue / listens were probably on the decrease too around the time he realised he needed to regroup.

The JR podcast is fantastic. Clearly isn't a fan of what they've been pumping out so far (and he's correct), and tried his hardest to not say "it's mostly shite" during his "we're working hard / they're good guys" talks. He pretty much said he thinks the current announce team are crap (and he's correct) and creative is naff (correct, again).

Edited by ColinBollocks

12 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Indeed, but I hope he realises that if it's turning into him interviewing his non-wrestling mates again week after week, he's probably best taking a few weeks off until he sorts out a guest list. I assume his ad revenue / listens were probably on the decrease too around the time he realised he needed to regroup.

The JR podcast is fantastic. Clearly isn't a fan of what they've been pumping out so far (and he's correct), and tried his hardest to not say "it's mostly shite" during his "we're working hard / they're good guys" talks. He pretty much said he thinks the current announce team are crap (and he's correct) and creative is naff (correct, again).

I've been really pleasantly surprised by Grilling JR. 

I thought it would be a proper slog but he just doesn't give a shit anymore and is happy to talk about anything. 

It actually works as a great alternative to Something to Wrestle (which I've gotten burned out on lately). Where Prichard will fucking always defend the company and the shit things they did and go into spin mode, JR will just say 'that was horrible' or 'yeah that was a rib' and talk about why the creative was shitty or the intent was vindictive. 

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah there was an element of burn out involved, although I also heard he had serious misgivings about creative that led to a massive row - he pretty much refused to use the material he was being given and was hell bent on not showing up, so he got on the plane and went home. He took his ball and went home.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Ah right. I absolutely loved his podcast and for the first three years or so I never missed an episode, even when he had fuck all to talk about - I just found him so entertaining being himself. Eventually it did wear thin though and I started to miss more and more of them, especially as other podcasts made their way onto my subscription list. By the time he went on hiatus I was only bothering to listen when he had a major guest on, so I figured I'd probably missed an explanation. 

Just listened to the MJF interview on Austin's podcast. You can tell when Stone Cold is enjoying bouncing off someone and you know Steve is absolutely buzzing by how much this 22 year old kid just gets the business. Everything from 1:31:00 onwards is brilliant and probably what he wanted from the Ambrose interview.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Just listened to the MJF interview on Austin's podcast. You can tell when Stone Cold is enjoying bouncing off someone and you know Steve is absolutely buzzing by how much this 22 year old kid just gets the business. Everything from 1:31:00 onwards is brilliant and probably what he wanted from the Ambrose interview.

You can tell Austin's into it when he decides to start kayfabing with someone - he knew he could push to get MJF some headlines by working a bit of an angle with him.

It's one of the things I enjoy from the few episodes I've listening to, you can tell Austin still has a genuine passion for wrestling - mostly for the old Texas stuff that you can tell means a lot to him, but while he's obviously not keeping his nose to the ground about every little thing on the indies, when he has to research a guest he has on, he's usually pretty excited about whatever it is he's seen and keen to talk about it. 

Though I probably get more of a kick out of him interviewing old school guys, if only for the inevitability of, "so tell me, what was so special about this Eddie Gilbert cat?".

Maybe the best mix of "Austin shoots the breeze about old wrestling" and "Austin gets excited about new stuff", with a hefty side dose of "this guy is actually bonkers", the two part PCO episode is endlessly entertaining. I normally get put off by a podcast being much more than an hour, but it flew by.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, good ol' Terry doesn't disappoint!  Apparently back in 1990 he suggested to Vince that he turn heel on Warrior after the finish of WM6 and start calling himself "Triple H - Hollywood Hulk Hogan".  Has he told story before?  It was a new one on me.