Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Joe_the_Lion said:

Good for them. His matches are usually quite good (can't think of a great singles outing off the top of my head), he's not a a particularly great promo and he's never been in a money feud on the big stage. Fuck all about his career screams all time great. He's a good hand, nothing more.

Good for you.

• Paid Members

This Meltzer/Dustin Rhodes thing had me intrigued, so I did a search for various terms and cross-referenced them with the Twitter account @observerquotes, which exclusively tweets out excerpts from 90's Observer issues. Here's what I found (Observer quote followed by the date);

"Dustin Rhodes really does work hard and may down the line turn into a superstar on his own merits. [6/91]"

"MOST IMPROVED (Observer Year End Awards)

1. DUSTIN RHODES (78) 692
2. Steve Austin (71) 665
3. Cactus Jack (75) 618
4. Billy Black (73) 445

[1/92]"

"They introduced Goldust (Dustin Rhodes doing a transvestite gimmick--more on that later). [8/95]"

"The Goldust gimmick could very conceivably be a career killer. It was well produced, but that's about all good I can say about it. [8/95]"

"Goldust's new costume was almost lewd and his match with Bam Bam Bigelow was another disappointment. [11/95]"

"Once Goldust took off his wig, he looked like a banana with black ears. [10/95]"

"Goldust's ring entrance was impressive but it's hard to take that costume seriously in the ring. [11/95]"

"Goldust still isn't over. [11/95]"

"The Razor Ramon vs. Goldust IC title match has been scrapped because of the feeling Goldust isn't over enough. [12/95]"

"Goldust gave Razor Ramon a teddy bear as a present and Ramon ripped up the bear. This whole angle is so ironic. [1/96]"

"Razor Ramon is complaining long and loud about his program with Goldust. The babyfaces in the clique hate the gimmick. [1/96]"

"MOST EMBARRASSING WRESTLER

1. HULK HOGAN 112

2. Goldust 107

3. Yetti 52

4. Renegade 29

5. Henry Godwinn 28

[1/96]"

"WORST MATCH POLL

Ultimate Warrior vs. Hunter Helmsley 143

Undertaker vs. Diesel 42

Roddy Piper vs. Goldust 40

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega 38

Bodydonnas vs. Godwinns 18

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels 11

[4/96]"

"It appears WWF has gotten sensitive about the charges of too many transvestite/lesbian/pervert type characters. [7/96]"

"As WWF has shown with Undertaker and Goldust, if you've got an elaborate entrance, people take the gimmick as being star quality. [9/96]"

"WORST MATCH POLL

Faarooq & Crush & Vega vs. Funk & Goldust & Gunn 83

Rocky Maivia vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley 17

[3/97]"

"Mero as a heel, Goldust back as a heel, Interrogator, Blackjack Bradshaw and Road Dog & Billy Gunn, all came off lame. [11/97]"

"Goldust's waistline is becoming more reminiscent of his fathers with every passing week. [12/97]"

"Dude Love showed up, which brought Dustin "Honest, I'm straight again, please cheer me" Rhodes out. [5/98]"

"Dustin Runnels dedicated the win to Jesus Christ. I guess he knows that for his career to go anywhere he needs divine intervention. [6/98]"

"Goldust, well, he's just Dustin Runnels. [10/98]"

"Dustin Runnels has fallen greatly from his working prime, which in reality was many years ago. [10/98]"

Dave obviously preferred Dustin when he was a white-meat, boots'n'pants babyface in dubya-see-dubya. As soon he went to WWF and donned the Goldust gimmick, he was out.

• Paid Members
On 6/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

" transvestite/lesbian/pervert type characters." Fucking hell!

I'm assuming this was the "goldust tickles his balls through his suit at house shows" and Marlene trying to look up Sables skirt spell?

Although that cover's lesbianism and perverse actions, I'm not sure where transvestism comes into it.

Must be Tuna Meltzer getting salty about Piper's kilt, the racist.

Edited by Tommy!

"almost lewd", "he's just Dustin Runnels", "a banana with black ears"! Who says Meltzyweltz doesn't have a sense of humour?

Back to podcasts, I've really enjoyed listening to The Lapsed Fan recently - they did an amazing job covering the Von Erichs, and lately they've tackled No Holds Barred. I cracked up to them reading out some of the contemporary reviews. If you're interested in Zeus, Vince and what a weird film it was, I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the Austin and Henry pod. Not convinced by everything Henry claims and his timelines seem way off at times but his stories are good and he's such a good dude. Apart from times where I feel like he's exaggerating a bit, he does come across quite genuine. His staunch defence of Vince was very interesting and felt organic rather than him shilling and his thoughts on being World Champion and the sense of validation it gave him were really nice.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Enjoyed the Austin and Henry pod. Not convinced by everything Henry claims and his timelines seem way off at times but his stories are good and he's such a good dude. Apart from times where I feel like he's exaggerating a bit, he does come across quite genuine. His staunch defence of Vince was very interesting and felt organic rather than him shilling and his thoughts on being World Champion and the sense of validation it gave him were really nice.

The story about being left high and dry in the ring with no opponent made for a good tale, but I can't help but feel Henry barged into Vince's office in a temper and Vince hurriedly said, "uh, just channel that anger?" Rather than it being some masterplan to bring out his intensity.

21 minutes ago, big7thletter said:

I love podcasts these days but i am sick of hearing them when the wrestler phones in. It always sounds terrible and muffled. Wish they could just not bother doing it unless they were in person

If your a decent indie talent, chances your going to be booked somewhere. I get what you’re saying, but they can’t afford to turn down bookings so they can go meet up with Wade Keller and the like

• 2 weeks later...