The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And wasn't Ron Atkinson the man behind it?

Not sure if he was the one who had the idea of the match, but he was the one in charge on the team, and the one to bring in the "Three Degrees", whose nickname alone is another example of the "casual racism" that was rife around the time...

People need to chill with the racism card in my view. It was in the 60's. Bet it was a good match as well.

Most of the people in the US are racist anyway.

On the football thing. It's like that Man U player they are going on about. They are moaning cos of some song fans sing. 

He is black of course he is going to have a big dick, I remember asking the white girls round my ends before why do you go with the black lads.

They said "cos they have big dicks".

I really don't see what the problem is to be fair.

• Paid Members

You know what's saddest of all about this idiot. Is that people will actually reply to him in all seriousness rather than disregarding him as the piss poor troll that he is. I mean, is that really the best that you've got?

• Paid Members

Thats the documentary that I saw about it a few months ago...

Taking it back to the "Black vs White" wrestling card, I was speaking to one of my uncles in the pub last night about it. He was in his Teenage years in the mid 60's and remembers this sort of thing happening often. He says that there wasn't much racial "hatred" at the time(more casual racism that was used almost as a term of endearment, believe it or not...), and most people he knew had a "West Indian mate". His was the comedian/footballer Charlie Williams! He thinks the card in question wasn't put on to draw heat due to peoples prejudices, but was more to do with the fact the "Black" side were more mysterious and exotic, so would draw people in who were curious what they would be like. Their billed home countries point to this also...

• Paid Members

7 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Thats the documentary that I saw about it a few months ago...

Taking it back to the "Black vs White" wrestling card, I was speaking to one of my uncles in the pub last night about it. He was in his Teenage years in the mid 60's and remembers this sort of thing happening often. He says that there wasn't much racial "hatred" at the time(more casual racism that was used almost as a term of endearment, believe it or not...), and most people he knew had a "West Indian mate". His was the comedian/footballer Charlie Williams! He thinks the card in question wasn't put on to draw heat due to peoples prejudices, but was more to do with the fact the "Black" side were more mysterious and exotic, so would draw people in who were curious what they would be like. Their billed home countries point to this also...

100% this. I would have hoped that was obvious to most people, but the reactions from some people in this thread suggest not.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

100% this. I would have hoped that was obvious to most people, but the reactions from some people in this thread suggest not.

In an ideal world it would have been, but I remember the casual racism in the 70’s and early 80’s on tv wrestling which is what cast the doubts in my mind.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He thinks the card in question wasn't put on to draw heat due to peoples prejudices, but was more to do with the fact the "Black" side were more mysterious and exotic, so would draw people in who were curious what they would be like. Their billed home countries point to this also...[\quote] 

100% this. I would have hoped that was obvious to most people, but the reactions from some people in this thread suggest not.[\quote] 

Indeed. There are people I know of an older generation for whom someone not white moving into the street was the most interesting thing of the year. 

Edited by Tommy!
What the fucks going on with the quote function.

• Paid Members

Historically, in the US at least, most territories wouldn't book a black man as a heel until the late '70s/early '80s at least, as they were genuinely scared that white fans would riot at the sight of a black man brutalising a white babyface.

While I don't think it was ever quite that prevalent in the UK, there was definitely the aforementioned sense of exoticism - most black wrestlers were faces, and usually billed as being from the West Indies, Jamaica, Borneo, Barbados etc. to that end. Though, again, that carries a fair amount of casual racism on its own - the idea that the black lad has to be from somewhere else, you can't just bill him as being from Peckham. Same with Asians being given the surname "Lee" and doing martial arts gimmicks. Racism is a lot more complicated than just calling 'em names.

I've seen a wrestling poster somewhere that honestly bills something like "A 300-Pound Gorilla and Four Coloured Boys". Can't remember the year, but was pretty astonishing stuff.