Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Do it. Loads of fun.

EDIT -

I'm randomly watching the Rockers vs Conquistadors from the LA Sports Arena in late '88 and the following interchanges from Heenan and Gorilla have really tickled me.

Monsoon : "Everybody looking to strip..."

Brain : "Are you kidding?"

Monsoon : "... Demolition of their titles."

Brain : "Follow through, would you?"

Monsoon : "Why don't you let me finish my sentence?" *

Brain : "(I) Stood up, started looking around, I didn't know what you meant!"

Brain : "The Rockers can match up against someone the size of the Powers of Pain, the size of Demolition...."

Monsoon : "...the size of the Brain Busters..."

Brain : ".. the size of the Brain Busters....wait, what?"

Brain : "There is a difference between intestinal fortitude and plain stupidity."

Monsoon : "You would know that if anyone does."

Brain : "Of course. What do you mean by that?"

* The reason it has tickled me is not so much the confused Brain humour but the fact that when he utters this line, Monsoon is dying to break out into laughter. Those two got such a kick out of working together, it was great.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Here's one. Those of us that have been knocking around a bit or were big Bret fans know that he spent most of 1989 working singles on the house show circuits against the likes of Bravo, Bad News, Honky, Andre, a couple of matches with Ravishing Rick in Italy and most commonly of all, Mr Perfect. Well, I only found out tonight that prior to Survivors he had a few go-arounds with Tito Santana as well. They all ended in double count-outs, the most throwaway finish for an utterly random pairing. Weird baby vs baby dynamic aside, I can't help but wonder how the matches were. Obviously there are quite a few Harts v Strike Force matches committed to film, but tag team is never quite the same.

Have any of you got any matches that you know took place on the house shows but have never seen and wish you could? Not matches that you have seen other versions of, like how Bret & Perfect and Flair & Steamboat were meant to have brilliant house show matches better than their televised fayre. I mean matches where you think "well blow me, didn't know they'd wrestled each other."

• Paid Members

Didn't Hulk and Jake have a mini feud after Jake's debut in 1986? The crowd were just cheering for the DDT so they dropped it and turned him babyface if I remember correctly.

No heel will ever top 1992 Jake the Snake for me. He was a complete and utter cunt, and was fantastic.

• Paid Members

While observing John Cena's entrances over the years, I often wonder if that many people actually dislike John Cena or if they just boo him for show.

He comes out to mostly cheers, and then this overriding booing generally starts. It's difficult to put into words, but is it more of a case of a few ROH types 'Look at me, i'm being hip and booing someone i'm not supposed to', rather than any overriding hatred.

Maybe that's true of a minority, but I think most of the anti-Cena sentiment over the years has been sincere. There have been times when close to 100% of the crowd has been against him; they're not all ROH fanboys.

I think there are lots of good reasons to hate him actually. I love the guy about as much as anyone over 12 that you're likely to meet, but whenever he's shared screentime with guys like Austin and Rock its very apparent what a poor imitation of previous company aces he is. He's one of the more cringeworthy performers I've ever seen in any TV format when he tries to do comedy, and even his serious promos that people like to buzz off usually involve him pulling some fucking bizarre faces.

Most of his proper feuds from the last couple of years have been based on a subtext that he's ruined wrestling one way or another (vs Rock, Punk, Lesnar), and there's at least a germ of truth to it.

• Paid Members
I think there are lots of good reasons to hate him actually. I love the guy about as much as anyone over 12 that you're likely to meet, but whenever he's shared screentime with guys like Austin and Rock its very apparent what a poor imitation of previous company aces he is. He's one of the more cringeworthy performers I've ever seen in any TV format when he tries to do comedy, and even his serious promos that people like to buzz off usually involve him pulling some fucking bizarre faces.

Most of his proper feuds from the last couple of years have been based on a subtext that he's ruined wrestling one way or another (vs Rock, Punk, Lesnar), and there's at least a germ of truth to it.

jon-popcorn.gif