Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Did anyone see the strange Brodus Clay vs. David Otunga match from Superstars? Natalya was a guest on commentary where she said that she was infatuated by The Great Khali because he reminded her of Stu Hart, due to both of them being great mat technicians. Khali was the special guest referee, but nobody could understand any of his instructions because they were in Punjabi and Hornswoggle was guest timekeeper, but he was attacked with a bunch of flowers by Rosa Mendes. Utterly bizarre.

Yeah saw this posted on the WWE account on Youtube...a new low for Superstars it seems

• Paid Members
Was it not Ahmed at Royal Rumble 97?

Yes.

Yeah, and Jaques Rougeau's dad valiantly trying to continue commentating from his wrecked equipment and table.

That would be Jacques Rougeau Sr ;)

That PPV made me never want to watch Mexicans again. The sight of four of them padding out the Rumble and getting zero reaction in the process was one thing, but that six-man was terrible. It felt like it lasted an hour, and the performances were embarrassing. At one point Perro walks slowly out of the corner to avoid Guerrera charging long before Guerrera reaches the corner, so he looks really stupid colliding with the buckle, then Perro walks slowly back to the corner to grab a schoolboy. Utterly woeful. Plus the cheek of Vince to talk about "high risk manoeuvres par excellence" after the match which ended after Perro managed to miss a double stomp off the top, was off the page.

Come to think of it, Vince had a really rough night on the whole (actually fairly rubbish) show. Despite JR correcting him at least twice he consistently referred to Jerry Estrada as Heavy Metal then during the Rumble itself he managed to mistake Marc Mero for Latin Lover.

EDIT -

Fuck it, I'll say it. Vince was a terrible commentator. I know there are one or two lads that think he was great, but no commentator in wrestling history ruined more matches or nearfalls than Vince. Even as a kid, before I knew he owned the place, if Vince said something, you always knew the opposite was the case.

At In Your House 2 after Sid powerbombed Diesel, "Sid's the champion!!" - no, he isn't.

At SummerSlam '95, "I believe Bob Holly is going to defeat the thus far undefeated Hunter Hearst Helmsly" - he definitely won't.

On Thursday Raw Thursday when Hunter gives Rocky a neckbreaker, "That'll do it, Hunter Hearst Helmsly with a victory..." - a neckbreaker?? Give over.

Worse still was his obnoxious cheering for the faces. Nothing wrong with criticizing the heels for doing nefarious things, or even claiming "poetic justice" or similar when they get their comeuppance, but shouting "cover him Randy!" when Savage has an advantage over Flair, or shouting "YES!!!" in such obvious glee when Shawn Michaels pins Sid, is just plain annoying. Be objective, you tosser! Yes, I know we're supposed to cheer the good guys, but you're supposed to be playing a professional play by play man. Don't cheer for the "goodies", it actually used to make it harder for me to cheer for them! Monsoon, JR (despite his other flaws) and several other commentators got the balance right between deriding the heels for cheating but not out-and-out rooting for the babys. The only noted exception was when the WcW commentators would root for any of their guys agaist the nWo, which in the context of the storyline made perfect sense.

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator
Did anyone see the strange Brodus Clay vs. David Otunga match from Superstars? Natalya was a guest on commentary where she said that she was infatuated by The Great Khali because he reminded her of Stu Hart, due to both of them being great mat technicians. Khali was the special guest referee, but nobody could understand any of his instructions because they were in Punjabi and Hornswoggle was guest timekeeper, but he was attacked with a bunch of flowers by Rosa Mendes. Utterly bizarre.

Yeah saw this posted on the WWE account on Youtube...a new low for Superstars it seems

What? This sounds fantastic!

Okay, no, it sounds pretty ridiculous and probably not very good at all, but it makes me want to watch it to witness the strangeness, which is more than I could say if it was just Clay vs. Otunga.

Just watched the team Austin (HBK, Dudleys, RVD, Booker T) vs team Bischoff (Steiner, Y2J, Christian, Orton, Henry) from survivor series 2003 and holy shit why have I not seen this? Probably the best SS elim match there is. Amazing star power, high stakes (Austin has to retire if his team loses), hot crowd and one of the best HBK performances there is. He's great as the bloody babyface in peril struggling to overcome three of the heel team after the rest of his team have been eliminated. It's noticeable how different wwe matches looked back then - higher intensity, faster paced, less predictable and somewhat overbooked - all popcorn stuff. Austin kicking in Bischoff was sweet but nobody bought the retirement thing. The Molly Holly/Lita match was surprisingly good too. Her character stunk but Holly was pretty decent and although I never thought Lita was any good she sure as fuck was over. The 'Ambulance' match between Kane and Shane was completely daft and enjoyable, backyard wrestling on a big stage. Goldberg/HHH was an overbooked mess but a pretty fun one at that. I'm surprised the crowd weren't more into Goldberg.

• Paid Members
I'm surprised the crowd weren't more into Goldberg.

They were probably unmotivated due to expecting a boring, far-too-long Triple H main event with a guy that was NOT suited for the long Triple H main event, since that's what was served up at Unforgiven.

And yes, Shawn's Superman performance in that match was absolutely superb. It's fairly universally bummed on here.

I'm also a massive fan of the less ballyhooed Wildcard match from Survivors 95 where Shawn takes a ridiculous beating and works his arse off, incredibly still being sprightly at the finish. As his big comeback match after Syracuse, he rightfully gets a monster pop and carries himself like he knows he's the Man as well. Mr Perfect asks Vince "do you think Shawn Michaels has what it takes to be the World Wrestling Federation champion?" and Vince coyly replies "We're going to find out" like the sly old foxy stoat he is. That was pretty much the exact moment I thought "Shawn is the man, or at the absolute worst, the man in waiting. If Bret can't get the belt off Diesel, they really should consider letting Shawn have a turn."

Ugh, Shawn's body of work is absolutely without equal. I hate that.

Just found this theme on youtube. It's Gangrel's theme from the indies apparantly, when he was Vampire Warrior. It's kick-ass.

EDIT: Just realised this would have been much better in the youtube thread, woops.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

That's a Sting outfit in Kofi's warehouse pictures, isn't it? Presuming it's just something that Sting left behind that was picked up in the WCW purchase, as I don't recall WWE ever doing a Sting parody/humiliation segment?

• Paid Members
That's a Sting outfit in Kofi's warehouse pictures, isn't it? Presuming it's just something that Sting left behind that was picked up in the WCW purchase, as I don't recall WWE ever doing a Sting parody/humiliation segment?

There was about a million Sting impersonators that came from the Power Plant that showed up in matches in 2000 when Russo ran out of ideas for a Sting finish. Probably one of theirs that they picked up when they raided the Power Plant when the sale went through.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Just found this theme on youtube. It's Gangrel's theme from the indies apparantly, when he was Vampire Warrior. It's kick-ass.

EDIT: Just realised this would have been much better in the youtube thread, woops.

I'm stealing an idea from the comments on that video and setting that as Gangrel's WWE '13 theme. He's also getting a push on Raw due to the epicness of that.

Lister, your missus is a keeper! :laugh: