Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Stephanie Wiand's on Twitter:-

How bizarre, I was looking her up on Wiki the other day after watching Rumble 95 to see what she went on to do (she didn't have an entry). She seemed rather incongruous on WWF telly although she was excellent and appearing genuinely confused whenever something weird was happening. Although my prevailing memory will always be standing next to Linda McMahon looking about 15 years older than c. 2000 Linda, with her horrendous haircut and hideous lemon yellow jacket with the massive shoulder pads.

• Paid Members
And uses WWE promo packages ripped straight from the DVD by the fucking look of it.

Ping him a PM, see what he says.

Stephanie Wiand's on Twitter:-

How bizarre, I was looking her up on Wiki the other day after watching Rumble 95 to see what she went on to do (she didn't have an entry). She seemed rather incongruous on WWF telly although she was excellent and appearing genuinely confused whenever something weird was happening. Although my prevailing memory will always be standing next to Linda McMahon looking about 15 years older than c. 2000 Linda, with her horrendous haircut and hideous lemon yellow jacket with the massive shoulder pads.

I was watching The Best Of The King Of The Ring last night and was reminded of her when she interviews Jerry Lawler on the way to the ring for that 'Kiss My Foot' match with Bret Hart. She was a good laugh, I thought. Probably would have looked out of place during the Attitude Era, though.

• Paid Members
I was watching The Best Of The King Of The Ring last night and was reminded of her when she interviews Jerry Lawler on the way to the ring for that 'Kiss My Foot' match with Bret Hart.

There was a decent slice of now-forgotten humour in King of the Ring '95, even though bell-to-bell most of it was turd. The big smiley face on Razor as Dok Hendrix translates Savio Vega's interview from Spanish is tremendous : "There's no way I'm going to beat Mabel!" "I'm going to have to go back to stealing hubcaps!" - Razor just stands there, smiling sweetly.

Anybody here like joshi? I just watched the Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto hair match and woah blimey. Dump, the monster heel battering Chigusa with kendos and nun-chucks and stabbing her in the face with scissors and Chigs screaming in pain and getting flattened. Obviously one of the points of a wrestling match is to manipulate the viewers emotions but this was maybe done too well here, to the extent that I was feeling uncomfortable watching the end and the trim. Are you a weirdo that wonders what it's like to hear thousands Japanese schoolgirls cry in agony? You'll dig this. Harrowing.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
Anybody here like joshi? I just watched the Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto hair match and woah blimey.

Did you know the result before you watched it?

I watch a bit of Joshi. I've seen JWP, Stardom and Wave live in the last year and a half.

stabbing her in the face with scissors and Chigs screaming in pain and getting flattened.

Get out.

Edited by air_raid

So what show is worth watching to keep up to date with the WWE? I can't be arsed with three hours of RAW. I haven't watched anything much for a quite a long time. Is SmackDown any good? Are any of the hour long shows worth a watch? An hour's probably my ideal length really.

• Paid Members

So I watched Goldberg v Perry Saturn from Spring Stampede 1998 last night for the first time and it's a cracking match, isn't it?

What was the thinking behind giving Saturn so much offence in that match, though? Were they really big on Saturn at that time? Raven didn't get half that much in the US Title match.

Anybody here like joshi? I just watched the Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto hair match and woah blimey.

Did you know the result before you watched it?

Yeah, and it royally pissed on Taker/Shawn :cool: Seriously, it's drama at its best.

Is anybody else looking forward to TLC? It'll be good to see five newish guys in the main or semi-main event or whatever. We'll get some idea of what they're doing with these Shield chaps and we'll see if they're finally gonna pull the trigger on Dolph. Plus we get Antonio Cesaro vs. R-Truth which I know everyone is pissing themselves to see.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

So what show is worth watching to keep up to date with the WWE? I can't be arsed with three hours of RAW. I haven't watched anything much for a quite a long time. Is SmackDown any good? Are any of the hour long shows worth a watch? An hour's probably my ideal length really.

Smackdown's rotten. It has absolutely no significance. Superstars is a shell of it's Masters/McIntyre days, NXT should be interesting, but it just isn't the NXT Yellow Brand filled with Regal's humourous in-jokes, dead crowds and general don't-give-a-fuck nature that we all loved so dearly. Saturday Morning Slam is the sort of program that makes you feel nine-years-old again with brilliant, original matches that just make you smile. Main Event seems to be having a load of good press, and seems to be one match with build-up vignettes, interviews and stuff, like a pre-fight show for UFC or something. That said, I've not seen too much, so I'm not the best one to comment.

My advice is, if you have Sky Sports, tape the first repeat of Raw instead of the live version. It's trimmed to two hours but still manages to fit pretty much everything in, because most of the cuts are just the excessive ad breaks for American TV. Watching the 3 hour broadcast, even the next day recorded, is an arduous task as you spend about 15 minutes watching the Raw logo and that structure that looks like the Millennium Stadium waiting for the US ads to finish.

The best WWE programme on today is still Vintage Collection though.

Edited by Forrest

Main Event is definitely the best hour that WWE produces. It presents a match with video clips and interviews that give it some context, it usually features another match and angle setting up next week's main event, and it recaps Raw's biggest story of the week.

If you could stretch to watching two hours of WWE a week and no more, I think it'd be best spent watching Main Event and one of the recap shows (Afterburn or This Week in WWE or whatever else they're called). Raw's too long, Smackdown's boring and irrelevant, Superstars is the reserve team, NXT is nothing. A one-hour recap show playing the week's highlights probably makes it all seem more exciting. It probably has Matt Striker presenting though.