Jump to content

Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*


Recommended Posts

Posted
Not everyone thinks like that. For WWF employees Hogan/Andre might be the "best match ever" but over twenty years on there are still fans, experts and wrestlers who all put Savage/Steamboat in their top ten matches ever.

Experts?

Posted (edited)

People who were usually on the same team are battling against each other in this argument. How refreshing.

 

Rather than span multiple pages of going round in circles, can't we just agree that the term 'best' is vague? Though, as ShortOrderCook said, I'd argue you'd get laughed at for saying Avatar is the best film ever. As a fan of wrestling or films or albums, 'best' would be perceived by the majority as the one you enjoy the most. By someone in wrestling, perhaps Hogan vs. Andre is the best. For someone in music, chances are they'll enjoy Definitely Maybe to (What's The Story?)... I'm trying to think of a better example than that. Master of Puppets over Black Album? Someone help a brother out. Anyway, the point still stands.

 

Edit: Kylie and Jason Donovan. Cheers, Eddie. I think people need to relax and appreciate things as fans more than businessmen. I appreciate the business side, but it's not what I watch it for. If someone in a pub said Savage vs. Steamboat was the best match (unlikely pub conversation but I've had weirder scenarios talking about wrestling), you wouldn't shoot them down in flames with statistics of house show figures and buyrates...would you?

Edited by Sphinx
  • Moderators
Posted

I would have said it was vague until you said it. Now I'm of the opinion it's not actually vague in the slightest.

Posted

The term 'best' is surely subjective though. To suggest that whatever/whoever sells the most records, pulls the most fans etc is 'the best' is down to personal preference. I am a huge Iron Maiden fan, and having seen them live many times and having DVD etc, I believe they are the best band/ music act in the world....however it's possible that other bands like one Direction, Adele etc sold more records last/this year. Does that make them ' the best' compared to Maiden? Or that people prefer that style of music?

 

I enjoy watching both Hogan-Andre and Savage-Steamboat. I think the IC title match was the best match on the card, but agree that it was the main event that created the most interest for the show. It just was t necessarily the 'best' match.

Posted

If you go back to 1987 in the kayfabe era the best match is the one the crowd reacts to the best. Surely that is the main event.

Posted
Yeah, I did see that. Hasn't he put them through to the authorities or something? Good on him, if so.

 

Yeah he said he had, hope so, as he's recently tweeted, the two lads kept going on about how it was just banter as soon as he mentioned the police

 

Looking at some of their other posts, it's safe to say they're a pair of wankers

Posted

I was very surprised to see the Hulk Hogan in a camel clutch at the start of New Girl. Also Schmidt's belief of how a camel clutch is applied was terrible. Nick Miller knows.

  • Paid Members
Posted

No-one will agree with me probably, but i'm cranky this morning and need to declare my hatred of the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak.

 

It only exists because someone back in the mid 00's, realised he happened to have not lost a WM match. But in the meantime it's been built up as something more than it is, and I think it was Arn Anderson in a video package said it was like winning dozens of Superbowls in a row, which is a mad comparison to make.

Posted
But in the meantime it's been built up as something more than it is

Like everything in wrestling then. Very few matches are promoted or treated as "two men in swimming trunks have a gay pretend fight." Undertaker's streak is more prestigious than anything else in wrestling by many miles. If balding old alcoholics are getting hyperbolic about something, the streak is the most credible.

Posted

Sable must return, "She was mine before she was yours", put the pictures up at the big screen at Wrestlemania, I wanna see the pictures. Wooo!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...