Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Megan: Um I believe I was called a 'thick cunt'?

Anyways I'm sorry I shall bow down to the UKFF fascist elite and never again question Al Snow's greatness.

Edited by HWM

• Moderators
You lot are a right bunch of angry weirdos ain't ya?

Been watching some Raws from 1997 lately. For me it's wwes single greatest year, in terms of raw at least. The transition to gimmicks that were less goofy was complete and it all felt in tune with the culture at the time and it had yet to become the disposable trash that is the Attiude era. There's so much going on just in the space of a couple of episodes, most of it focused around the Hart Foundation. Bret alone was feuding with Austin, HBK, Taker, not to mention the rising tension between him and Vince. You also see the rising stars of Austin, Foley and his faces, HHH, the seeds for HBK's turn and the formation of DX, the story of Kane, tag feuds and stables, LOTS OF FUCKING STABLES. Fuck DX. It's all about the Nation. what an awesome idea for a stable, goading whitey and his underlying fears. And it made the Rock.

Yeah, I even liked DOA despite involving the Harris Brothers (Bikers are cool when you are 12 and a bit racist). I think the only stable I really couldn't be doing with during that time was The Truth Commission. But yeah, I enjoyed 'Gang Warz', FUCK DA HATERS.

This thread has turned into a really odd debate.

It seems people are trying to justify holding Al Snow up as a person who knows what's what, so that his personal dislike of the term "moveset" can be endorsed. What one has to do with the other, I don't know?

I imagine if it was Edge who claimed the phrase "moveset" was bollocks we'd be hearing how great he is and why he knows what he's talking about. Likewise, had Al Snow used "moveset" in one of his shoots, I can almost hear him being described as a "never made any money, never drew and money, chinless, shit-jacket-having perma-jobber".

It's just a word. Who gives a fuck.

--

For the record, I like Al and Value his opinion, but moveset doesn't bother me. It's wrestling, we put up with words like Stinkface and Spinneroonie. It's all silly shit really!

Edited by Dirty Eddie

Al Snow also had a cracking match with himself.

Seriously though, his best match at WrestleMania III theory is tremendously flawed.

How so? Pro wrestling is a con. It's about making money.

Not necessarily. I don't make any money off it. Therefore I appreciate the art form more and would rather watch Steamboat-Savage over Hogan-Andre.

• Paid Members
Al Snow also had a cracking match with himself.

Seriously though, his best match at WrestleMania III theory is tremendously flawed.

How so? Pro wrestling is a con. It's about making money.

Who said it wasn't? That was done before the match occurred, not while it was happening.

I'd also like to point out that, despite the medium of the internet making it difficult to portray, my original Al Snow discussion was being done in a light hearted manner.

I do, in general, think that this forum can be far too serious at times especially with certain posters. It's only wrestling and I'd wager not many of your lives/livelihoods depend on it. Lighten up maybe?

• Paid Members

Wrestling is objective as well. The main event of WrestleMania spawned 18 months of monster business. Andre could barely move and people ended up paying to see Hogan and Andre at Survivor Series, WrestleMania IV, SummerSlam, numerous house shows and on Saturday Nights Main Event. It was the biggest business wrestling had ever seen. Obviously the WrestleMania III match had something the people wanted to see. The "who makes the best burgers" stuff is just an old Jim Cornette line to justify why Robert Gibson was better than Demolition Smash.

Its also the reason the Boogey Man and Great Khali were more over than Dean Malenko and Joe Hennig. When the industry leader controls the business, the WWE make the best burgers.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Megan: Um I believe I was called a 'thick cunt'?

Yes, in response to you making childish insults. See my earlier point about ignoring things to suit your own point of view.

Childish insults in changing his name round? Like calling you Midas Megan, would you find that childish Mr. Megan?

• Moderators
I imagine if it was Edge who claimed the phrase "moveset" was bollocks we'd be hearing how great he is and why he knows what he's talking about. Likewise, had Al Snow used "moveset" in one of his shoots, I can almost hear him being described as a "never made any money, never drew and money, chinless, shit-jacket-having perma-jobber".

If Edge had said that, I wouldn't have known. I've always found Edge overrated and dull along with the other jaundiced blonde Canadians (except for 1998 in WCW), and so would never have known his opinion on the matter. I only know he doesn't like it because Air Raid knows of my distaste for the faux term and my distaste for Edge and knew he'd get a fun rise out of me.

I think one of the better examples of Al Snow getting the connection with audience and being a good worker is how he managed to get Steve 'Party-Time' Blackman so over.

Yeah, my favourite skit from that is when Blackman twatted the old woman when Al made him do stand up.

Wrestling is objective as well. The main event of WrestleMania spawned 18 months of monster business. Andre could barely move and people ended up paying to see Hogan and Andre at Survivor Series, WrestleMania IV, SummerSlam, numerous house shows and on Saturday Nights Main Event. It was the biggest business wrestling had ever seen. Obviously the WrestleMania III match had something the people wanted to see. The "who makes the best burgers" stuff is just an old Jim Cornette line to justify why Robert Gibson was better than Demolition Smash.

It's fair enough if you view it objectively but remember that a lot of people watch it subjectively and don't really care who makes what money (probably mainly, like I mentioned before, because they aren't making any money off it anyway). We're fans.