Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Been watching the nWo Revolution documentary. Billy Kidman has aged REALLY badly - you only see him as a talking head on it, but he looks fat as fuck. When you see him and David Flair now, it's amazing to think they used to be shagging Torrie Wilson and Stacy Kiebler.

Basically shagging women of that quality fucks you up one way or the other. Sort of like a Stardust kind of deal, it seems. Look at Savage! Ten years of Liz destroyed his brain if not his body. A few years of dipping into Sable nearly killed Brock Lesnar for Christ's sake, and Chris Candido used so much of his magic getting Tammy Lynn for the rest of his life, that the rest of his life was cut short.

Has being a "Tweener" ever actually worked or been good?

It's fairly hard to define Tweener in terms of booking. They are usually one or the other and just "in the process of turning."

Diesel post-Survivor Series 95 up until he turned full-blown heel was fucking awesome.

Kev was the archetypal tweener, in that he was a babyface with a chip on his shoulder that happened to be booked against two big babyfaces in Bret and the Undertaker before his proper turn. You cheered him or you didn't, based on whether you preferred him or his enemies.

Triple H was essentially booked as a tweener for two months in 2000 when even though he was chasing the babyface WWF Champion The Rock, he was also hellbent on destroying fully-fledged heel and Steph fan club president Kurt Angle, a rivalry in which the fans definitely preferred him. When they programmed him with Benoit and he left the Rock alone for a bit, it was a signal that he should be viewed as a baby, and the build towards him challenging Angle for his newly-won title seemed in the offing, but they obviously kiboshed that by turning Hunter on Austin. I think that was a fairly decent tweenerish period for Hunter as there sounded lots of fans willing to cheer him (because if you're good enough, people cheer, and he was shit hot in 2000), but they needed another heel to keep Austin occupied until 'Mania rather than just throw him straight into challenging Angle or Rock for the gold. Rikishi wasn't cutting it.

How about Rock in summer 1998? He had a good two months or so where he was still leading the Nation, a heel group, but programmed against heels and heavily cheered. Well, actually that period is a complete mess since Mankind was a sympathetic baby, and Shamrock and Undertaker were both turning even though neither got a defined moment of "this is a heel turn." At least we knew to cheer Austin and Foley and boo Kane.

• Paid Members

The turning of hot rod in mid 80's was initially strange. He and orton split as heels and then he had a feud with orton, Adonis and don the rock (I think he was the 3rd member).

Anyway, there's an episode of SNME where he actually makes a run in to save hogan from a double beating, only for hogan to later say something along the lines of 'stay out of my way you daft scotch bitch, I don't trust you'.

We eventually all began to love him, but at that exact time, you see him save hulk, and then hulk says he doesn't trust him with a look of angry hulk face.

My tweener input

Just caught up on a couple of weeks of TNA. I massively behind the pushing of Christian York for some reason. Seems like he's really got a fire lit under him to make the best of this opportunity. Also, TNA could do worse than take someone with bags of experience and a bit of TV exposure who's been off the radar for years and give him a shot. Seems like a good hand in the matches he's had so far and the crowd seem behind him. It's at least got me interested in what happens to him.

He's got something, hasn't he? There's more than a hint of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson about him. He wrestles smoothly and cleverly, like a cross between Jerry Lynn and Scott Steiner or something. His promos aren't great, but I don't think his character needs to talk much, the storyline is absolutely built in.

If I'm honest, if they played it right they could make an incredible story out of him. Just keep building and building him slowly, humbly, until everyone's raring for him to get a world title shot. I could see him v Roode being a great affair.

Interesting exchange on Twitter between Xpac and Rip Rogers, where Xpac accuses him of being a thief and stealing from Jerry Lynn in Global and then admits shitting in his bag in the WWF. Basically ends with them hugging it out.

Edited by moofasa

• Moderators
Has being a "Tweener" ever actually worked or been good?

Bryan and Kane were tweener for a few weeks weren't they? At any rate, there was no real turn and they wrestled Kofi and Truth as much as they did the Prime Times.

285731.jpg

I wouldn't say that Austin was ever never a heel or baby. In fact his turn was well defined and always acted to the principles of whichever role he was portraying.

To celebrate 15 years since its inception (or relaunch) the wwe have put up some videos of light heavyweight title defences.

If you never watched Dean Malenko vs Scotty 2 Hotty's Backlash (including the insane finish), check it out...

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/the-be...ht-championship

• Paid Members
Just caught up on a couple of weeks of TNA. I massively behind the pushing of Christian York for some reason. Seems like he's really got a fire lit under him to make the best of this opportunity. Also, TNA could do worse than take someone with bags of experience and a bit of TV exposure who's been off the radar for years and give him a shot. Seems like a good hand in the matches he's had so far and the crowd seem behind him. It's at least got me interested in what happens to him.

He's got something, hasn't he? There's more than a hint of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson about him. He wrestles smoothly and cleverly, like a cross between Jerry Lynn and Scott Steiner or something. His promos aren't great, but I don't think his character needs to talk much, the storyline is absolutely built in.

If I'm honest, if they played it right they could make an incredible story out of him. Just keep building and building him slowly, humbly, until everyone's raring for him to get a world title shot. I could see him v Roode being a great affair.

That's not a bad shout there. I agree with both of you for the most part, i'm interested, into him and want to see him succeed. Seems like he's going to get some decent TV time. He definitely has something, i like his look and his story. He comes across to me like TNA have found that perfect free agent that you'd find hidden away when looking for someone on EWR and you snap him up stat and give him a massive push right away. I like your Randy 'The Ram' comparison and think making use of similarities there could be a great way to go. I feel TNA could have found a right little gem with York.

Not sure why, maybe because the world is ending soon but, those 'End of the World as you know it' vignettes that ended up being for Jericho have entered my mind this evening. How swish were they? And how fucking disappointing was it when they effectively amounted to nothing.

Surely, SURELY how that all panned out couldn't be the original plan when those vids were put together. Could it?

• Paid Members
Only just realised that the fit ref in tna was Tiffany in WWE. Am I thick???

If we have to answer the question based purely on the issue of Taryn/Tiffany, then no. I had forgotten Tiffany, and wouldn't have clocked Terrell as her if I didn't read rasslin spoilers.

Coincidentally I was watching the Edge DVD today and had I not bought it, I would never have remembered Johnny Swinger's brief sojourn as "Johnny Parisi" on the weekend shows.

By further coincidence, Edge uses the word "moveset" in reference to Batista. Someone else tell him, I'm not telling him.

To soften the blow, here is a picture of Bamber meeting the Countdown tart :

thumb.bamba1.gif