Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

While observing John Cena's entrances over the years, I often wonder if that many people actually dislike John Cena or if they just boo him for show.

He comes out to mostly cheers, and then this overriding booing generally starts. It's difficult to put into words, but is it more of a case of a few ROH types 'Look at me, i'm being hip and booing someone i'm not supposed to', rather than any overriding hatred.

Not true. He was massively booed at TLC and Raw during his entrance, just to name a few recent examples. Some people don't like him, and for the most part it isn't any sort of ROH smarky nonsense, he's can just be quite an irritable twat sometimes.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen a ROH event since about early 2006 and indeed the small amount of indy stuff I see these days is in the form of deathmatch tournaments. It's nothing to do with smarkiness or what have you, I just find it incredibly hard to cheer such an annoying dork. I can relate to pretty much nothing about him besides having the same number of limbs. It's the same with my mates who are into wrestling. These guys and girls don't watch anything other than WWE or, in a couple of cases, TNA, so they can't really be given the indy workrate fapper label and yet none of them like him either. (CM Punk, Hell No and Damian Sandow seem to be the general favourites at the moment). Really this forum is the only place I've ever knowingly encountered an adult who's a Cena fan. Nothing wrong with that and you're all entitled to your own opinions but that's always struck me as odd.

But for something completely different: this is from the Raw tapings for next week so SPOILER alert but does this not sound absolutely incredible?

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Santa Claus opens RAW but Alberto Del Rio comes out and hits him with his car. They do a stretcher job and take Santa away in an ambulance

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

While observing John Cena's entrances over the years, I often wonder if that many people actually dislike John Cena or if they just boo him for show.

He comes out to mostly cheers, and then this overriding booing generally starts. It's difficult to put into words, but is it more of a case of a few ROH types 'Look at me, i'm being hip and booing someone i'm not supposed to', rather than any overriding hatred.

Not true. He was massively booed at TLC and Raw during his entrance, just to name a few recent examples. Some people don't like him, and for the most part it isn't any sort of ROH smarky nonsense, he's can just be quite an irritable twat sometimes.

Careful, that won't sit well with the Cena blowhards. If you don't like him then you MUST be a smarky ROH loving prick.

• Moderators

No, just not a cool cat. The adults booing Cena in the crowd look like life's rejects, basically Punk and Heyman looking and acting fuckers without the success, whereas the adults who cheer him just look like better and happier people. Cena reminds people of what they're not in life. He was better than them in school, and he's better than them now.

No, just not a cool cat. The adults booing Cena in the crowd look like life's rejects, basically Punk and Heyman looking and acting fuckers without the success, whereas the adults who cheer him just look like better and happier people. Cena reminds people of what they're not in life. He was better than them in school, and he's better than them now.

Ah yes, JEALOUSY. That's it!

• Moderators

While I was a bit tongue in cheek there, to an extent there's probably some truth to it. Cena is the popular, muscular, handsome and successful man at the top. 90% of male wrestling fans are losers. Cena's everything they're not and never will be. I'd not be surprised if jealousy played a part.

Top Gear is very prowrestling-y isnt it? 2 Babyfaces and one heel in every segment. They work the audience in believing its done all live and off the cuff. But everything is clearly planned out in those specials abroad.

Bet you alot of those 'Wrestling is fake' guys watch Top Gear and think its all real :)

While I was a bit tongue in cheek there, to an extent there's probably some truth to it. Cena is the popular, muscular, handsome and successful man at the top. 90% of male wrestling fans are losers. Cena's everything they're not and never will be. I'd not be surprised if jealousy played a part.

Fair enough. He's just...annoying. And so very dull.

No it's because he can't wrestle and is not a cool dude like CM Punk.

The exact same thing could be said about the Rock though, and he's not hated like that. I would imagine however that if the 1999 version of the Rock stayed exactly the same for 8 more years straight, people would be bored/annoyed by him by then as well.

It's the sheer amount of time that he's been doing the same act that grates with me. He's obviously talented and clearly a top bloke, he can also have great matches when it counts on the big stage. I completely understand from a business point of view why he's positioned like he is, but I don't have to enjoy it. It's the same with jeff Hardy in TNA. He's always in a prominent spot because he's a big star who makes them money, but that doesn't mean I have to love his un-relatable, oddball character either.

• Paid Members

Cena is a funny one. He's one of my favourites because he always delivers in big time matches and because he's a believable, fleshed out, realistic character. He's mega popular with kids and I love that. I love that he's a top role model. If I had a son I'd be well happy with him wanting to grow up to be like Cena. I'd much rather see a bunch of happy kids in attendance at WWE shows than a sea of smelly bastards fitting the description that Butch gave.

I do find so many of his promos and facials to be horribly cringe-worthy and I understand why lots of people don't like him, but I find the way he handles himself in face of his critics to be the coolest thing about him and that's what always wins me over in the end. He's a character with morals and principles who sticks to his guns and never backs down. I think that's pretty cool.

The exact same thing could be said about the Rock though, and he's not hated like that. I would imagine however that if the 1999 version of the Rock stayed exactly the same for 8 more years straight, people would be bored/annoyed by him by then as well.

That's true, but it's not an apt comparison because people didn't start booing Cena last week. About two weeks after he first won the belt, people were cheering weaselly shitheel Christian for insulting him. I can't remember what crowds were like for Cena's feud with Jericho, but there was a lot of anti-Cena sentiment during his feud with Angle that went through the end of 2005. By 2006, Edge was already doing the "at least I've got fans older than seven" routine against him. I don't think there are many people who hate Cena now but loved him in 2008. Anyone who was a fan but turned against him (based on comments on the Internet, at least) seemed to do so either when he turned babyface in 2003 or when he stopped rapping.

Edited by King Pitcos

That's true, but it's not an apt comparison because people didn't start booing Cena last week. About two weeks after he first won the belt, people were cheering weaselly shitheel Christian for insulting him. I can't remember what crowds were like for Cena's feud with Jericho, but there was a lot of anti-Cena sentiment during his feud with Angle that went through the end of 2005. By 2006, Edge was already doing the "at least I've got fans older than seven" routine against him. I don't think there are many people who hate Cena now but loved him in 2008. Anyone who was a fan but turned against him (based on comments on the Internet, at least) seemed to do so either when he turned babyface in 2003 or when he stopped rapping.

Yeah, that's indeed true. You've gone and killed my small defense of Cena there, just when I was trying to be all fair and balanced.

So, with that being the case, is it fair to say that Cena just isn't a great Face then? Considering pretty much from the start there were large portions of the regular fanbase who just didn't like him, and that's never changed. Perhaps Butch is right and it's all just jealousy? Again though, if that's the case then he's still not portraying a very good Face, if the character he portrays is someone that "90% of wrestling fans" are naturally going to dislike.