Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

I remember Fleisch v Barker and Lynn v Williams being cracking matches when they showed it on TWC, and Drew McDonald v Robbie Brookside being one of most dreadful pieces of crap that I'd ever seen. I don't remember anything about the other matches.

I really enjoyed Styles vs. Storm when I saw it on TWC. Not sure what I'd think if I saw it again now, but at the time it made me big fans of both guys.

JBL's announcing is really annoying these days. Everything is him acting like everything Josh says is stupid and saying things like "Of course!!!!" if something like "do you think that will have an effect on his arm?" is asked. It's annoying.

Oh, and when he rattles off each guys accolades it's fucking annoying too. I'd rather have Booker back at the desk.

• Paid Members

In fairness, Josh is pretty stupid.

I really enjoyed Styles vs. Storm when I saw it on TWC. Not sure what I'd think if I saw it again now, but at the time it made me big fans of both guys.

I actually saw the rematch before I saw the Uprising match, and it was a fairly big deal in terms of making me interested in the FWA to see more of Storm as previously the only guy on the British scene at the time I'd had any exposure to was Doug. Having seen both matches several time since, the Uprising match is very good, but the Frontiers of Honor rematch would likely be remembered as the superior if it wasn't for the slightly-blown finish - the timekeeper and crowd both fail to quite realize the ref has counted 3 after Styles' breathtaking springboard 450. I have memories of Tighe/London from the same show being quite good too, but unsure if it actually was, or I was just easily impressed back then.

JBL's announcing is really annoying these days. Everything is him acting like everything Josh says is stupid and saying things like "Of course!!!!" if something like "do you think that will have an effect on his arm?" is asked. It's annoying.

Oh, and when he rattles off each guys accolades it's fucking annoying too. I'd rather have Booker back at the desk.

The fuck!?

I haven

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

In the Raw thread this week, LaGoosh said about how he found Jinder Mahal to be an odd fit with Heath Slater's 'Encore' group, and would prefer him replaced with Curt Hawkins.

I find it a little grating too, but I think it's just because they need to turn the volume up on it, no pun intended.

They've just gone from being three guys with totally disparate gimmicks to three guys who hang around each other and play air guitar, with no other change. If it was a case of them saying "we don't have much in common but we were sick of getting beaten up, so we've banded together in an unholy lower-midcard alliance to be stronger in numbers" I'd have no problem with that, but they're saying they're "a band" with Mahal still there in his "rich Indian man" jacket & turban.

They wouldn't need major changes - Slater can stay pretty much as he is (although dumping the shit-brown tights would be a good idea), just change his war-cry to "I'm the leader of the band, baby!" and make him the singer/frontman.

Mahal needs to drop the turban for a Hendrixian headband and swap his current jacket for a nice purple velvet one, and he's the "virtuoso" guitarist. He can keep his current tights and boots as the colours fit quite nicely with that gimmick.

Drew needs to wear sunglasses, and maybe grow a fu manchu tache. Add a Ramones t-shirt & some ripped Levi's and he's your brooding Scottish bass player.

When Hawkins gets back from his surgery, get him back in the pleather trousers he wore when tagging with Vance Archer, mess the hair up a bit and he's your hard-living drummer.

Then, film a series of "music video" vignettes where they're clearly not playing the instruments, (still never get them to attempt anything BUT air guitar in front of an audience) and you've got a nice little midcard heel stable.

After watching this weeks Raw and Smackdown.. I had a real buzz watching them just like I did each week watching during the last boom period.Does anyone else feel that we are heading down that way now with compelling must see story lines and crowds that pop for anything?

Edited by Freddyjoe

Three man band doing air guitar was hilarious. They need to solidify the stable a bit more, as it is still just a bit too random, but there's tons of potential there IMO.

JBL makes smackdown almost infinitely more watchable. He calls out Matthews for being the terribly dull and shit play by play commentator that he is.

• Paid Members
After watching this weeks Raw and Smackdown.. I had a real buzz watching them just like I did each week watching during the last boom period.Does anyone else feel that we are heading down that way now with compelling must see story lines and crowds that pop for anything?

Raw did the lowest rating it's done in forever last week, and there are no signs of a boom period, including the fact that raw isn't very good. So no

• Paid Members

Raw did the lowest rating it's done in forever last week, and there are no signs of a boom period, including the fact that raw isn't very good. So no

It was a very decent show by current standards, as many have said, one of the best in quite a long time.

Regardless of how good this and upcoming episodes are, i don't know if it will make any difference to the ratings. Even if Hogan jumped to WWE, would it really rescue the ratings and create a spike? I personally don't believe it would and may just have to accept that wrestling just isn't popular at the moment and it is clearly struggling to gain new interest.

I have possibly just spoken a load of bollocks, but i think its fair.

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen Dustin Runnels' new 'character'? The Dark Child. Here it is: The Dark ChildPity he looks like he filmed the promo in his front room because I think this could be an ok promo with some effects behind it.

I don't think he's The Dark Child, that's what he's called his opponent, Chance Prophet (whoever that is). He's still Goldust.

• Paid Members

Is that Goldust mask Dustin basically saying "I'm not showering on these Indy shows, I'm whipping the mask off and fucking off home". Must be a bastard putting on and taking off that paint every night.Worked for the Great Muta. He went from paint to mask without much of a struggle. And now Dustin doesn't have to dye his hair. Everyones a winner. Also, he can flog those masks at the gimmick table. Why didn't he think of this before?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay