Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

He'll be back in WWE eventually I imagine, if the rumours of him signing for TNA aren't true (he was backstage at Bound For Glory). There was always something missing from Morrison in singles. He's like Kaz in TNA. He's great with Christopher Daniels, but there is something that screamed "I wish there was someone to fill in the awkward silences".

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

He was always great in any Internet stuff he did on his own and his persona and shiz with Miz would have done fine doing it on his own and would have eventually naturally turned him face anyway I reckon. But he never got the chance to do it. The Miz being the actual star argument is always silly because he was pushed into his best fit and Morrison was taken out of his. If Miz turned face instead he'd have flopped too. Morrison was cursed by Miz being an obvious heel there and Morrisons obvious other talents blinding people into believing his was an obvious face, which he isn't. Cursed by his blessings. His completely in love with himself and Tyler Durden-esque presentation of perfection character with a total dorky side was a load of fun and clearly him at his most natural, his most comfortable and his most entertaining. That ship has long sailed now though and won't come round again.

• Paid Members
Road Dogg and Billy Gunn would've amounted to nothing had they not found each other

I never understood why Road Dogg didn't do better singles-wise; dynamite on the mike, knew how to work, got ridiculously over and wasn't exactly generic-looking either.

Morrison, well - that's an odd one. I remember him actually doing a couple of decent promos back when he was Johnny Nitro, so it's odd that he seemed to regress in terms of promos. The guy has phenomenal natural charisma, though; he just looks like a star, pure and simple. Considering TNA's current lack in the X-Division, he'd be an excellent fit for it.

• Paid Members

Being a relic from a group of its time and still wearing a DX shirt 18 months after they were hot didn't do him any favours. He was like the Boss Man. People had such an idea scarred in their brain of the role he played in his prime, him doing anything different was never going to work. Being fucked up in every match he ever wrestled didn't help either. Also he's admitted on his shoot interview he didn't know how to work as a single and always preferred tag wrestling.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Being a relic from a group of its time and still wearing a DX shirt 18 months after they were hot didn't do him any favours. He was like the Boss Man. People had such an idea scarred in their brain of the role he played in his prime, him doing anything different was never going to work. Being fucked up in every match he ever wrestled didn't help either. Also he's admitted on his shoot interview he didn't know how to work as a single and always preferred tag wrestling.

Fair enough. I knew he had drug problems (there was that whole fiasco with him telling Laurinaitis to fuck off over the phone when John offered him a route back to WWF/E), but I didn't know about his shoot interview. As for being a relic, I suppose he wasn't much different from X-Pac in that regard. A big shame, really.

Road Dogg and Billy Gunn would've amounted to nothing had they not found each other

I never understood why Road Dogg didn't do better singles-wise; dynamite on the mike, knew how to work, got ridiculously over and wasn't exactly generic-looking either.

He did fairly well during that period when Rock was in the Corporation. Intercontinental title, hardcore title, he was often the most popular member of DX. He was a good all-round midcarder, and you could pop him in a tv main event now and again. But he was too limited to go any higher than that in that era. Then the heel DX reunion killed him off, and he went to shit.

Morrison, well - that's an odd one. I remember him actually doing a couple of decent promos back when he was Johnny Nitro, so it's odd that he seemed to regress in terms of promos. The guy has phenomenal natural charisma, though; he just looks like a star, pure and simple. Considering TNA's current lack in the X-Division, he'd be an excellent fit for it.

Morrison's heel promos were usually poor and only ever mediocre at their very best -- I'd like for a Youtube link that'd prove me wrong there, but there isn't one. He had a good gimmick, a great look, but he just never pulled it off to the standard that you'd hope for given the aesthetics. He wasn't cut out for wrestling speeches. He always sounded awkward and robotic, which worked a lot better on The Dirt Sheet with Miz there as a human to play off than it did with Johnny on his own in the ring with a mic. He took public speaking and acting lessons during time off injured as well and it didn't do much help. The glass ceiling might as well have been made of water in his case, he was never going to get close enough to find out. He was better off being used as a silent midcard babyface, a more marketable Evan Bourne. But with a weak roster and a desire for new stars and miracles, WWE kept pushing for more out of him and getting upset with him when he didn't have any more.

• Paid Members

Morrison's heel promos were usually poor and only ever mediocre at their very best -- I'd like for a Youtube link that'd prove me wrong there, but there isn't one. He had a good gimmick, a great look, but he just never pulled it off to the standard that you'd hope for given the aesthetics. He wasn't cut out for wrestling speeches. He always sounded awkward and robotic, which worked a lot better on The Dirt Sheet with Miz there as a human to play off than it did with Johnny on his own in the ring with a mic. He took public speaking and acting lessons during time off injured as well and it didn't do much help. The glass ceiling might as well have been made of water in his case, he was never going to get close enough to find out. He was better off being used as a silent midcard babyface, a more marketable Evan Bourne. But with a weak roster and a desire for new stars and miracles, WWE kept pushing for more out of him and getting upset with him when he didn't have any more.

Hmmm, it's strange - I seem to have remembered

as being better than it actually was. And my mistake, he was Morrison by this point.

I never caught any of his MNM stuff, unfortunately.

• Paid Members
That video reminds me -- I think JTG's pretty good at talking and at wrestling, and he looks decent, but I've lost all interest in seeing him do anything. I don't know if that's racist.

For many it's probably more apathy. Not him being a darkhorse.

• Paid Members
That video reminds me -- I think JTG's pretty good at talking and at wrestling, and he looks decent, but I've lost all interest in seeing him do anything. I don't know if that's racist.

Of course it isn't. He's just suffering from the same problems a lot of the lower/midcard are, and it's affected your enjoyment: endless matches with no storyline. In his case, even worse - he's pure jobber now.

Also, hasn't he changed to generic wrestling gear from his "street" look? Best way to start killing interest in that sort of gimmick, I'd guess.

• Paid Members

JTG had something Brother Yasshi about him, from the little I've seen of Yasshi anyway. I'd like to have seen him a bit more like that as a heel. He seems and completely comes across on tv as just totally disgruntled now though. He was always a million times better than Shad though, who was total shit.

JTG had something Brother Yasshi about him, from the little I've seen of Yasshi anyway. I'd like to have seen him a bit more like that as a heel. He seems and completely comes across on tv as just totally disgruntled now though. He was always a million times better than Shad though, who was total shit.

Don't forget though, we are all still living in Shad's Time. *

promo

I love the bit where some sweat/snot drips from big Shad onto the microphone. Ooozing talent.

(* Which is of course a different time to Vader Time, which is from now until the end of time. Both of these "times" also fall under the Era Of McGillicutty. )