Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Bossman clearly deserved that Nailz beating. Let's look at the history....

The Bossman arrived in the WWF in 1987 right, and at that point he was fresh from his stint as a Prison Guard. Considering what a badass he was you'd have to assume he'd been in the Prison game a few years, perhaps even from the late 70s. When he got into wrestling he was a right bastard, beating down jobbers, hurting the likes of Hogan and Savage and being horribly threatening to Elizabeth. It just stands to reason that he was like that in his prison guard days. Poor Nailz was there for parking tickets (just ask Bobby Heenan) and the Bossman was a massive cunt to him. Nailz's life was ruined by a bent judge, a stupid jury and Big Ray Traylor overseeing baton-rape sessions in the prison showers for years on end.

It wasn't until years later that the Bossman saw the light and began upholding the wrestling law, that doesn't excuse his evil past.

• Paid Members
Poor Nailz was there for parking tickets (just ask Bobby Heenan) and the Bossman was a massive cunt to him.

That's right. And poor Nailz didn't even realise he'd done anything wrong, because when he was out buying some flowers for his mother the wind blew the ticket off the screen.

And then when he was in a position to get Vince McMahon sent down the jury disregarded his testimony. That's twice he's been done over by juries. It'd be a wonder if the poor guy had any faith in law, order and justice left.

I remember seeing the pics in the WWF mag before seeing it on tape, an incredible kicking.

I saw them and the fact I can remember them shows the impression they left because I was only about 5. They were really graphic pics for the time and left 5 year old me with no doubt about how real it was. And that Nailz was a hard bastard, then I was disspointed the only tape I had him on was knocking Virgil's block off at Summerslam 92. I probably assumed Boss Man was dead or something.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Boss Man had it coming. Let's not forget, his babyface turn was all about him refusing to take money from DiBiase - even though that's exactly what he'd done (or at least been privy to) at the Rumble the previous year. Let's be fair, being a prison guard can't have been that lucrative otherwise he wouldn't have been moonlighting as a tickler anyway. By turning down more lovely money from the Million $ Man, he proved himself to be stupid, and a hypocrite too. Now that I think about it, not only did Boss Man frame Nailz for whatever violent crime he clearly didn't commit, but I bet he was paid to do so some years earlier by DiBiase, and one day we'll find out that actually mild-mannered Nailz was actually one of DiBiases staff, that he had sent down in dissatisfaction for poor service. Came back from the shop with Silk Cut instead of Bensons, or something like that.

Having said that, I do still love the Boss Man and expect him to return in time to win the Rumble.

• Paid Members
Just finished Halloween Havoc 1995 and it is hard believe that it was the same WCW that would be putting on some of the best wrestling television ever less then a year later.

Bit of convo on the (lack of) quality of 1995 WCW here.

The Flair/Arn stuff has been dismissed by the players involved as unnecessary, forced and rubbish, but I thought a lot of it was really believable. On the *principal* of the matter, I should be annoyed that it was pissed away in favour of another Horsemen reunion, but I adored the short-lived incarnation of Flair-Arn-Pillman-Benoit. Furthermore having some Horseys around prevented EVERY Nitro from being headlined by Hogan/Sting/Savage vs Beefcake & Haku or whatever.

Just finished Halloween Havoc 1995 and it is hard believe that it was the same WCW that would be putting on some of the best wrestling television ever less then a year later.

Bit of convo on the (lack of) quality of 1995 WCW here.

The Flair/Arn stuff has been dismissed by the players involved as unnecessary, forced and rubbish, but I thought a lot of it was really believable. On the *principal* of the matter, I should be annoyed that it was pissed away in favour of another Horsemen reunion, but I adored the short-lived incarnation of Flair-Arn-Pillman-Benoit. Furthermore having some Horseys around prevented EVERY Nitro from being headlined by Hogan/Sting/Savage vs Beefcake & Haku or whatever.

Can't believe I missed that thread.

Pillman's mental antics are the only thing that saved the Horsemen reunion imo and I actually enjoyed the Flair/Arn feud even if it did end in an anti-climatic way.

The mid card in late 95 has been pretty entertaining so far (I'm slowly making my way through the Nitro years minus Thunder) but I really can't wait until I get to 1996.

• Paid Members
The transition from 95 to 96 wcw is a thong of joy in retrospect, beautiful

Thong of joy...sounds like something from Ann Summers. Is it a new invention?

But yeah, late 95- late 96 WCW is like night and day. DDP's career is the same in that time period as well. Feuding with the Booty Man in early 96 to being one of the top guys a year later working with Savage and Hogan and being well over.

I loved that time in WCW, the early part of the NWO era when you didn't know what to expect minute to minute never mind week to week.

JBL's announcing is really annoying these days. Everything is him acting like everything Josh says is stupid and saying things like "Of course!!!!" if something like "do you think that will have an effect on his arm?" is asked. It's annoying.

Oh, and when he rattles off each guys accolades it's fucking annoying too. I'd rather have Booker back at the desk.

I've suspected from the start that JBL went to Wikipedia or Google (or something similar) and put together a print-out of the championship records and similar accolades of those he was going to be commenting upon--because he's really not that familiar with the current product--and now basically forces them into commentary so he sounds smart and has something to add.

Booker was atrocious, though, adding little and repeating the same things over and over, so I'm not saying I agree with bringing him back. Wrestling commentary is decidedly harder than it looks, but it's astounding that the national companies are so locked into the ridiculous concept that only a select few on the planet can do it. And the WWE manages somehow to find the worst stiffs, when they try out someone else, making it sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy a la "Look, we tried out Gerald Jabroni and he stunk, so now we'll put Michael Cole on yet another show."

Sting vs The Prisoner (Nailz) from Slamboree 1993.

Check out that huge "Boss Man" chant at the beginning there.

Nailz really was absolutely shit, wasn't he? He gives Sting virtually nothing in that match and completely no-sells his comebacks to the point the announcers are joking about him wearing a punch-proof vest. I really can't think that was the intention, though the choice to give Sting such a flukey win when Nailz was a non-announced last minute replacement is quite odd. You'd have thought they'd have given Sting a clean win to make good on the Norton no-show, unless they actually expected Nailz to have legs as a more long-term program with Sting. Does anyone know?