Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Sting vs The Prisoner (Nailz) from Slamboree 1993.

Check out that huge "Boss Man" chant at the beginning there.

Nailz really was absolutely shit, wasn't he? He gives Sting virtually nothing in that match and completely no-sells his comebacks to the point the announcers are joking about him wearing a punch-proof vest. I really can't think that was the intention, though the choice to give Sting such a flukey win when Nailz was a non-announced last minute replacement is quite odd. You'd have thought they'd have given Sting a clean win to make good on the Norton no-show, unless they actually expected Nailz to have legs as a more long-term program with Sting. Does anyone know?

More incredibly I think Nailz was under contract and then WCW forgot about it and his contract rolled over year after year.

Edited by Chilli_Mondeo

• Paid Members

They did that a lot in the early 90s according to Cornette. He said they forgot to send Missy Hyatt and the Iron Sheik (who they had as pretty much a jobber) notice and both contracts rolled over. 100K a year each. Mental.

I didn't know it was meant to be Sting vs Norton instead of Nailz. I know Norton wrecking jobbers in seconds every week on Worldwide. He looked like a killer. Sting vs Norton could have been a cracking match at that time. Norton can't have been there more than a couple of months in 93. What's the story there?

I didn't know it was meant to be Sting vs Norton instead of Nailz. I know Norton wrecking jobbers in seconds every week on Worldwide. He looked like a killer. Sting vs Norton could have been a cracking match at that time. Norton can't have been there more than a couple of months in 93. What's the story there?

Norton's version of events is he injured his knee, but the more common story is he found out they had no plans for him past the job to Sting on the PPV and decided it wasn't worth doing it when he had his Japan deal.

Today, I set a new record when I was able to get through this week's entire episode of Superstars in ten minutes. 2 matches, one of which was a divas match, and a replay of the full CM Punk-Vince McMahon saga from Raw last week (which was actually longer than the matches) does not a TV show make.

Going back to a discussion we had a couple of weeks ago, the Raw thread wasn't started until 10am today, meaning that this one is probably a bunch of crap?

No idea, but I imagine way fewer (or perhaps nobody) people on here stay up for Raw now and stay awake for all of it now that it's three hours long.

Today, I set a new record when I was able to get through this week's entire episode of Superstars in ten minutes. 2 matches, one of which was a divas match, and a replay of the full CM Punk-Vince McMahon saga from Raw last week (which was actually longer than the matches) does not a TV show make.

Is that what it

Superstars is a pile of turd. Matches that last forever between wrestlers who have neither a personality nor the attention of the fans. Now Raw's three hours and they've got Saturday Morning Slam and Main Event, the tapings are long enough without four lots of Tyson Kidd vs Curt Hawkins type matches to bore the crowd.

• Moderators

Saturday Morning Slam is a show for young kids, featuring a couple of features on wrestlers and a kid friendly match with no blows to the head or neck. Tyson Kidd vs Daniel Bryan this week was great, especially the Johnny Saint Special. It's a great little show.And Main Event is just fucking terrific. It's an hour featuring a main event between upper mid-carders and main eventers given time with great packages before it to build the people in it at the start, and a shorter match featuring the lower carders at the end. It's a bit Saturday Night's Main Event in that respect.

Saturday Morning Slam is a kids' show where Kofi and Brodus beat up heels and then dance, with B A Star updates. Main Event is strange, because it's a C-show which is far above it's remit, with CM Punk and Sheamus on it and IC title matches, but I don't expect it to last.

• Paid Members

Main Event is one long match (with pre-match hype videos on the guys and post match interviews) and then a little filler bout at the end.Saturday Morning Slam is 30 minutes. It's one or two very short matches, with the guys told not to do any moves that attack the neck or head (and the spots usually edited out if they do.) Depending on who's on, the results are somewhere between World of Sport and an All Star spot show. They also throw in a video vault feature which is just a few brief clips - for example this week it was "Jake had a snake, Austin was a rattlesnake, Orton is a viper."(Edit: Yeah, what ^ they said.)

Edited by JNLister