NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

That gigantic gentleman wearing a bright red tshirt in the front row is going to be very distracting over the next few weeks.

Dear God, how many seats do you think he had to buy?

I'm another Corbin fan, and I think a lot of it has to do with watching him on Breaking Ground.  In fact, I like most people in NXT based on Breaking Ground.  I can even tolerate Mojo Rawley somehow, as irritating as he is.

Bloody can't wait for Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe.  Is that next week?

• Paid Members

I think dopper makes a great point about Corbin. He just looks so vacant all the time. Not angry, not sociopathic, not disgusted. Just vacant. I really wanna like the guy, because proper heels are non-existent if nothing else, but it's just so hard to find anything about him to really get into. On the bright side, he doesn't come across at all cool or likeable so he does work as a heel.

Corbin has undoubtably improved between the ropes, but I haven't seen any improvement or development of the character since day 1.

The man said himself on more than one occasion in 'Breaking Ground' that it's so different coming from American Football where you're encouraged to show no emotion to wrestling where your expressions are so important. So he knows that he should be more animated, but still only shows that one blank look. He looks at the crowd blankly during his entrance, looks blankly at his opponent before locking up, and looks blankly at the hard camera after winning a match.

This contradicts itself. You say there is no character development then go on to say how it was explained to you why he has a vacant look on his face. The fact that it was explained why he shows no expression in a legitimate story is character development. If we didn't know why he always stares into the distance then you'd have a case for no character development.

Fair enough if you don't like it and don't think it works, but to say Corbin has had no character development is flat out wrong.

Corbin has undoubtably improved between the ropes, but I haven't seen any improvement or development of the character since day 1.

The man said himself on more than one occasion in 'Breaking Ground' that it's so different coming from American Football where you're encouraged to show no emotion to wrestling where your expressions are so important. So he knows that he should be more animated, but still only shows that one blank look. He looks at the crowd blankly during his entrance, looks blankly at his opponent before locking up, and looks blankly at the hard camera after winning a match.

This contradicts itself. You say there is no character development then go on to say how it was explained to you why he has a vacant look on his face. The fact that it was explained why he shows no expression in a legitimate story is character development. If we didn't know why he always stares into the distance then you'd have a case for no character development.

Fair enough if you don't like it and don't think it works, but to say Corbin has had no character development is flat out wrong.

Breaking Ground isn't a legitimate story in the context of NxT. On the show proper none of that has been covered and nor should it. He's just a vacant staring mopey sod with a face in his torso. If he can teach it to talk we could have him do a Krang gimmick.

I'm not being argumentative here, but I don't know what you mean about there being an explanation of his blank expression in a legitimate story.

It hasn't been explained.

The person behind the character said in 'Breaking Ground' that wrestlers are expected to be expressive, but Baron Corbin goes on TV each week with only one facial expression.

Breaking Ground isn't a legitimate story in the context of NxT.

It sort of is though.  The Bayley vs. Carmella match was based on their friendship which has only really been covered on Breaking Ground.

A few points, with Corbin, I find he's been the constant same for his tenure in NXT. His basic one dimensional stare will only take him so far. They need to turn him up some more but finding the right way to get him there and what tweaks need making.

Cameron. Granted she fucked up the clothesline to Bliss, just sloppy, still! Been there since 2011 and so it seems she's still finding her way on her rebuild. She doesn't look ring savvy for the Development she's received. Has Eva Marie improved since the beginning of her push several weeks ago, I'm still undecided. She sells terribly and I dont buy it. Plenty of women with a greater skill set already to go but they put out these two ffs.