NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

The Bayley vs. Carmella match was based on their friendship which has only really been covered on Breaking Ground.

Ā 

Ā 

It was first mentioned on Breaking Ground, but every week since Carmella became number one contender they have mentioned the friendship on NXT tv.

Ā 

Both ladies have done individual promos talking about being friends, they have done two different promos together mentioning it, and the commentators have commented on it each week.

So even if you have never watched 'Breaking Ground', seeing the last month of NXT tv was enough to have you up to speed on Carmella & Bayley's relationship and their individual goals.

A few points, with Corbin, I find he's been the constant same for his tenure in NXT. His basic one dimensional stare will only take him so far. They need to turn him up some more but finding the right way to get him there and what tweaks need making.

Ā 

Cameron. Granted she fucked up the clothesline to Bliss, just sloppy, still! Been there since 2011 and so it seems she's still finding her way on her rebuild. She doesn't look ring savvy for the Development she's received. Has Eva Marie improved since the beginning of her push several weeks ago, I'm still undecided. She sells terribly and I dont buy it. Plenty of women with a greater skill set already to go but they put out these two ffs.

You wouldn't boo those women though. The women's division needs to be more than "women's wrestlers! *clapclapclapclapclap*" to stay interesting and have anyone caring about the result. Edited by King Pitcos

I'm not being argumentative here, but I don't know what you mean about there being an explanation of his blank expression in a legitimate story.

Ā 

It hasn't been explained.

The person behind the character said in 'Breaking Ground' that wrestlers are expected to be expressive, but Baron Corbin goes on TV each week with only one facial expression.

It's been explained because we know his blank expression is from playing football. That is part of his character. He also rides motorcycles. He is also pegged as a future star, but believes he is ready and doesn't want to wait for his time. He is so arrogant that he will go to bars by himself and get annoyed with fans, while respecting his elders like Scott Hall. Corbin has loads of character development from Breaking Ground.

Ā 

Kayfabe may be dead but things like Total Divas and Breaking Ground are blurring the lines between what is scripted and what is real. If Breaking Ground isn't there for character development then what is it? Is that all real? Because everyone on there is presented in a light that suits the character they portray on NXT.

• Paid Members

I'm coming round to Corbin. However, a massive reason of this is because of Breaking Ground, which has really helped flesh his character. But without that programme, I don't think I'd be anywhere as interested in him. I certainly wasn't before I watched Breaking Ground.

Kayfabe may be dead but things like Total Divas and Breaking Ground are blurring the lines between what is scripted and what is real.

Ā 

I don't think of those programmes as being linked to the weekly WWE & NXT shows, but I can see from the last few replies that many people do. So that's fair enough.

Ā 

I watched an episode of Total Divas last week in which Paige & Brie Bella went for a nice stroll along San Jose high street to bitch about Eva Marie the day before they faced each other in a babyface vs heel tag match at WM31.

Same with Tyson Kidd being out on double dates with Jimmy Uso when they were feuding over the tag titles.

Ā 

When Sasha Banks interrupted Bayley's celebration on NXT the week after winning the Title last year and challenged her to an Iron Man Match, it was one of my favourite segments of the whole year. Sasha started by acknowledging Bayley was the better woman in Brooklyn and fought back tears talking about how well received that match was, but then got it together enough to stay heel and lay down that challenge.

Ā 

So when we saw the true sequence of events on Breaking Ground (Those two earlier that day having a laugh as mates waiting for a meeting with Triple H in which he told them he wanted them to do an Iron Man Match) it was very interesting and enjoyable, but enforced the line separating the weekly NXT show and Breaking Ground in my opinion.

Same thing with Dana Brooke's injury. We didn't know she had any injury during her match with Asuka at Takeover: Respect and assumed she hadn't wrestled since because of the beating handed to her in that match.

But on 'Breaking Ground' we were shown them practising with each other in the Performance Center days beforehand when Dana really picked up an injury.

Corbin's blank expression is part of his appeal, precisely because it isn't blank at all. It's confident, smug, arrogant, and that comes from years of drilling his routine both in football and wrestling. It's that alpha lion mentality of not giving a shit because no one (in his opinion) can touch him. Breaking Ground may have fleshed him out, but having not seen that show beyond flicking through the first two episodes, I still see the development coming through in his performance. If he started emoting all over the place and giving promos with Samoa Joe's cadence, he'd lose his appeal and individuality to me. He does more with two moves and one reaction to a crowd member's comment than anyone. That moment when he barked "HA!" at Gargano when he hit Deep Six was golden, because you know it takes a lot to get a reaction out of him.

Yep, more Eva Marie please. I'm waiting for the moment someone completely undeserving wins one of the two singles belts. I liked that they teased it before but didn't pull the trigger. Next time they'll have to go for it though. The heat will be nuclear. I almost thought Asuka was going to join her and Nia Jax for a second. Think those three would be quite a badass heel unit. I mean I don't see Bayley losing that belt clean, probably nor should she before she joins the main roster after Mania. I don't think it will be as good though if face Asuka defeats Bayley in Dallas (that's happening right?) and then Eva wins it from her down the line.

Well Dopper the on screen stories usually take place months before they appear on the "reality" programs, at which point those fueds should all be finished up and everyone has moved on to the next thing. They are redundant by the time these shows air but the characters grow as a result

Ā 

We all know everyone is actually mates in real life anyway, so they choose not to hide that in the pursuit of creating real characters we actually believe. The lines are blurred intentionally so we don't know where the script starts and stops

I can't argue with any of that, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of whether Baron Corbin has evolved over the last 18 months.

Ā 

It's my opinion that saying his character has improved/advancec based on just him being interviewed and filmed riding a motorbike on Breaking Ground is giving him undeserved credit.

Ā 

I've watched some of the early Takeover's recently and everything before and after the matches when Corbin was a babyface doing squash matches back then is the same as he does now as a main event heel. Him waving a dismissive arm at the boos at ringside is the only addition.