NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

They could introduce someone new with the gimmick too, but is there anyone not on NXT's primary roster yet who could pull it off?

Hugo Knox? He's quite the tank, isn't he? And completely homegrown, so he hasn't 'paid his dues' in the Full Sail fans' eyes.

• Paid Members

The only way you can really get someone over as a heel with the Full Sailers is by casting them as a "Vince and Kevin Dunn" choice. If they had Vince, or even Dunn, make an appearance extolling the virtues of someone, it'd get them over as a heel instantly. Apollo Crews is the obvious choice. Imagine Vince standing in the NXT ring shouting "Look at... Look at the BODY on this guy. Look at the MUSCLES on this guy!" And have Apollo say he's looking forward to one day wrestling Roman Reigns in the main event of WrestleMania. Vince tells him "I can see it already, pal." Basically, the Drew McIntyre ch-ch-ch-chosen one gimmick.

Ā 

They could introduce someone new with the gimmick too, but is there anyone not on NXT's primary roster yet who could pull it off?

Ā 

Crews would indeed be an obvious choice for that kind of role, but it would be a shame to frame him as a 'Dunn deal' guy because although the heat would be great in the short term, once the Sailers and their ilk have bought into that narrative, it's a tough tag to shake off and will hurt his chances in the long term of being universally accepted as a top babyface on the main roster, which I'm guessing is what they are hoping to achieve with him. Unlike most body guys that come along (an increasingly rare breed), Apollo is actually pretty good, pretty young and most importantly, has amassed some internet points from his independent background that hopefully will carry some weight with the more difficult kind of fan.

Ā 

Sadly he already seems to be getting a bit of a Roman reaction whenever he faces the other internet favourites, so I think they should do as little as they can to promote the idea that he's a chosen one.

Ā 

With NXT looking light on the heel side at the moment, I'd maybe push Tye Dillinger in the sort of role you mentioned. He's not a long term answer, but he's ready and he's good enough. With a little work to the 'Perfect 10' gimmick, combined with some perceivably favourable treatment from the office, he should be able to get on the wrong side of the fans. The guy probably deserves a shot too.

With NXT looking light on the heel side at the moment, I'd maybe push Tye Dillinger in the sort of role you mentioned. He's not a long term answer, but he's ready and he's good enough. With a little work to the 'Perfect 10' gimmick, combined with some perceivably favourable treatment from the office, he should be able to get on the wrong side of the fans. The guy probably deserves a shot too.

Ā 

I saw a video at weekend that looked like he may have suffered a bad injury, so he may be out for a while, although I must admit, I haven't seen anything confirmed on that

Sadly he already seems to be getting a bit of a Roman reaction whenever he faces the other internet favourites, so I think they should do as little as they can to promote the idea that he's a chosen one.

Ā 

Ā 

Those reactions make me think WWE are already swimming upstream with him. Unless he loses his physique or most of his matches, Team DW will decide he's the Dunn deal anyway and turn on him more and more. At least if the company embrace that they can get out ahead of it, and if he puts in enough of a shift combined with his indie background and the extra internet points you get for being a baddie, he can win dem back around when the time comes. I've no idea how well he can work heel, though.

Ā 

When WWE are so vociferous in signing the big indie names that homegrowns can't even sniff the NXT title, the reliable formula of "Vince hates guys from the indies, so I will love them" has hit shaky ground. It's not a solid enough base for someone now, especially when it's a wrestler who ticks enough Vince boxes to be a potential face of the company. And they don't want to get themselves into another Roman Reigns situation where they plan things for months, cross their fingers all the way and then shit themselves at the last second because they're scared of the reaction from Full Sail types.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I'm surprised they've turned on him to be honest. He was a bit of an indy darling, wasn't he? When he first sat in the crowd after the signed, the crowd were chanting for him like mad weren't they? Funny old lot they are.

• Paid Members

Right lads, I'm a awful dope and I'm aware of that, but why are the NXT crowd called the Full Sail Crowd?

When I do be reading this, I feel like Joey in Friends once it went onto anything other than the 'V' section of an Encyclopedia.

The regular venue they run is called "Full Sail (University)". Simple as that really!

Edited by tiger_rick

I'm surprised they've turned on him to be honest. He was a bit of an indy darling, wasn't he? When he first sat in the crowd after the signed, the crowd were chanting for him like mad weren't they? Funny old lot they are.

Ā 

They haven't turned on him.

Ā 

The Full Sail crowd didn't get behind him when he faced Balor, which must have been expected when Apollo faces the super-over #1 babyface on the roster.

The crowd have been quiet during some of his squashes, and the London crowd were silent during most his match with Corbin which felt like it would never end. But there hasn't been an actual backlash or anything.

Ā 

Yet.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

Apollo Crews is still a work in progress. They pushed him as an indy darling coming in with international pedigree but hes still in the early stages of his career and hadn't quite made that level yet.

Ā 

He's still improving and playing catch up. Hell be fine.