Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

Been watching a load of stand-up through the Just for Laughs and Comedy Central channels on YouTube, falling into those rabbit holes while watching John Mulaney stuff.

One of the best bits I've seen is by Logan Guntzelman. Probably not to everyone's taste but I love her delivery.

• Paid Members

He seemed to be barely used in the last series of SNL and then only to do meta jokes about what a fuck up he is. He does seem like he's a genuinely troubled guy, and I feel quite sorry for him, but he's not remotely funny. And that's quite a big thing to be lacking for a comedian. 

I find him quite likeable in a 'there's a decent guy underneath it all' kind of way but that stand up had absolutely no structure. It really didn't show mich apparent craft and it wasn't anywhere near as edgy as he or Netflix thought it was. 

The Louis CK stuff made me chuckle though.

It'll be interesting to see how King of Staten Island turns out.

it'll be 40 minutes too long

Edited by Mr_Danger

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Adam Rowe released his self funded 'special' via youtube at the weekend. First time I've seen a comedian release one that wasn't recorded in front of their own audience, he did this at one night at the London Comedy Store filming 2 x 20minute club sets (early show & late show). Right now (or at least when we still had live comedy) I'd put him head to head with any headliner in the UK, a tough bloke to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sunflower by Garrett Millerick is one of the best hours of stand up I've heard in a long time. It's got rave reviews at Edinburgh in 2018 and had a sold out run at the Soho Theatre but it somehow passed me by. He's one of the best on the circuit and even managed to get a spot on Conan in the US as his first ever TV appearance.

It's on Spotify and I thoroughly recommended it: https://open.spotify.com/album/3xqk4gFO9NwyWOiGpmPXAY

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...