Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

Oof!

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/nov/24/jack-whitehall-review-o2-arena-london

And then there’s all those jokes about pooing in the swimming pool, pooing at Chernobyl, farting in front of his ex, farting in a urinal. That Whitehall’s show is full of crap becomes, by the end, less matter of opinion than statement of irrefutable fact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Had no idea who he was when I put it on, but Nate Bargatze's special on Netflix is superb. Absolutely loved his delivery and timing, well worth seeing.

Iliza Shlesinger, on the other hand, is stealing a living. Five fucking Netflix specials. She's very shit.

She's good looking and connected, so doesn't matter. My American ex went to some college semester abroad on a boat thing with her and she was an obnoxious entitled moron of the highest order apparently.

On a comedy note, I managed to snag 3rd row tickets for Doug Stanhope in Dublin next year in the presale.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Bit of a belated post…..Alexei Sayle was excellent in Manchester the other week. I’ve never seen him live before but loved his Radio 4 show & have always had a soft spot since first seeing him in The Young Ones as a kid. I was a little apprehensive going in as I know he hasn’t toured in years & thought he might’ve mellowed in his advancing years (he’s 67!). Not a chance, about an hour & ten minutes of shouty, ranty politically charged gold. There were occasions where it was clear that he was still working parts of the show out (this was only the 2nd night of the tour) but that’s to be expected. Nice supporting turn from Peter Brush too which was an unexpected treat.

Not sure how many tours he’s got left as he mentioned retirement onstage so I’m really glad I didn’t miss this. My first time at HOME in Manchester too which is a lovely theatre.

• Paid Members

Going to see a Stewart Lee double bill in Peterborough on Friday night.  Snowflake and Tornado shows back to back.

I'm really excited - a rarity these days - I last saw him perform "If you'd prefer a milder comedian..." and would put it down as probably the best live performance i've ever seen.   

I saw the same shows in Leicester Square Theatre last October and thought they were brilliant. I think it was a 'work in progress' show too so imagine he's only improved them since then. Was my first time seeing Stew live and he did not disappoint!.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Marc Maron's new one on Netflix is predictably fantastic, plus it has a good heap of anti-Marvel stuff in there just to cheer me up even more.

Rob Delaney's Jackie on Amazon was also excellent, but the best one I've probably watched recently was Michelle Wolf (Netflix).

• Paid Members

Given every gig everywhere has been pulled a lot of comedians are ramping up online content (if not just to keep busy). Scott Bennett is doing a 'Live From My Shed' webstream tomorrow night at 8pm which you can find on his facebook page & should be reliably excellent.

• Paid Members

Watched Ryan Hamilton: Happy Face last night, and it wasn't bad at all, would like to see more from him. Taylor Tomlinson's special on Netflix also has some great stuff in it, I think she's got a series on the way as well.

• Paid Members
On 3/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Marc Maron's new one on Netflix is predictably fantastic, plus it has a good heap of anti-Marvel stuff in there just to cheer me up even more.

I'm in two minds on this one. Having read Stewart Lee's last book recently, he talks in that about how American has only recently picked up the British "narrative stand-up" format, where the show has a central narrative arc, and relies a lot on callbacks and so on, rather than just being a string of jokes, and I found watching Maron with that in mind that it felt very constructed in that sense, and that if a British comedian had followed the same structure it would have felt a bit old hat.

But then the way it was lit and shot, and Maron being an actor as much as a stand-up, made it feel more like a one man show than a stand-up special, which conspired to make some of the weaker or more obvious jokes fall a bit flat.

But then with all that pretentious bollocks put to one side, it had some great jokes in it, so what does it matter? The ending was a bit overly contrived and over-long, but it was a decent show.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm in two minds on this one. Having read Stewart Lee's last book recently, he talks in that about how American has only recently picked up the British "narrative stand-up" format, where the show has a central narrative arc, and relies a lot on callbacks and so on, rather than just being a string of jokes, and I found watching Maron with that in mind that it felt very constructed in that sense, and that if a British comedian had followed the same structure it would have felt a bit old hat.

But then the way it was lit and shot, and Maron being an actor as much as a stand-up, made it feel more like a one man show than a stand-up special, which conspired to make some of the weaker or more obvious jokes fall a bit flat.

But then with all that pretentious bollocks put to one side, it had some great jokes in it, so what does it matter? The ending was a bit overly contrived and over-long, but it was a decent show.

I don't think it's quite Maron's best and his style has clearly changed over the course of the specials he's done, and also through becoming more of a student of the form. I think he admitted 7 or 8 years ago he was barely watching any stand-up at that point.

I really liked the structure to it though and although I think recall bits can usually be contrived, he actually pulled it off really well here because it wasn't used as a one-liner. For me, he's one of the best and most consistent around. Plus he should have been in Spenser Confidential more.