Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

@BomberPat - Interesting you bring up Lee in relation to Maron. Marc has mentioned a few times how much he likes Stew and his style. He had him on WTF a few years back and its a genuinely great chat. I think Maron really related to what he tries to do, so Its not surprising Maron has gone down that route now with the narrative structure.

I really enjoyed it anyway. Maron is always engaging.

• Paid Members

I was watching some John Mulaney bits on YouTube and this one, about babysitters, is going to keep me up all night from repeated cackling.

And the fucking clocks are going forward too.

Go Faster Stripe are offering free downloads of their stand up shows in return for donations to the Trussell Trust. At the minute the one available is Rachel Fairburn's Her Majesty (https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=videofull&id=39062) but the rest of the scheduled shows to be available are:

Richard Herring - We're All Going To Die - 2nd - 9th April

Stewart Lee - Pea Green Boat - 9th - 16th April

Adam Buxton's Old Bits - 16th -23rd April

Kevin Eldon is titing about - 23rd - 30th April

Robin Ince - Happiness Through Science (probably) - 1st - 6th May

John Hegley and Tony Curtis - 6th - 13th May

I'll admit to having no idea who this guy is until last night, and I've watched this routine at least 10 times since then.

Andy Daly as Jerry O'Hearn, an "observational comedian" who says absolutely nothing for 5 minutes. I think it's incredibly clever, I reckon others will just hate it.

• Paid Members

Andy Daly is a fantastic comedian and actor. He did a TV series called Review with Forrest McNiell about a host who decides to review life experiences that I can't recommend highly enough. He's in the first series of Eastbound and Down. 

Top stuff lads. Had a look at him and think I've seen him in bits and bobs but will go off on a search.

That routine has fucking killed me. It's just so clever without having to be all "meta" about it.

"How much did all the cost you, a certain amount of money?" Amazing.

Louis CK's new special is very good, better than I thought it would be too. I don't know what the general consensus on him is these days after his wanking was exposed like.

Stanhope is having a news blackout for 30 days also, and is doing a pod a day during it. Good auld listen.

Edited by DCW

I'll echo the Louis CK comment earlier. Its very good. His bit about the controversy is also a very clever way to discuss it and I thought was a way better way on dealing with it then Asiz Anzari's weird whispering stuff. I totally get people who never want to watch him again. I watched it more out of a morbid curiosity but found myself laughing out loud at parts.

• Paid Members

I thought Louis came across horribly in his new one, I pirated it and hate-watched it purely out of morbid curiosity. Loads of the jokes fell apart under the slightest bit of scrutiny and his "treading the edge of clever and offensive" schtick kind of falls apart when his jumping off point is already being a gross barely apologetic sex offender. Really found myself judging his audience for cheering so much like he was a returning hero as well.