Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

Yeah, I've never understood the appeal of stadium shows either.

I'm happy in a biggish theatre, having seen a few in Blackpool Opera House.

A new one for me this year (hopefully) is a comedy gig in a park. John Bishop, Jason Manford, Katherine Ryan, Al Murray, Paul Chowdry and Judi Love in Southport. Not a bad line up.

I have a bit of a guilty pleasure for comedians who bomb onstage. Some of these are unbelievably cringe ..

Different times thankfully

This one is the jackpot, to be fair he had the crowd for the first 30 seconds or so

Edited by RancidPunx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched Bo Burnham’s latest Netflix special last night. I don’t think I’ve seen any of his stuff before other than his acting in Promising Young Woman and this is certainly an acquired taste. I really liked it, more a nodding appreciation kind of thing than a side splitting laugh fest although it definitely has its moments. As things stand it’s my second favourite Netflix musical comedy special after Lonely Island’s Bash Brothers musical, which more people should see.

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from my previous post I gave Bo Burnham’s 2016 Netflix Special Mark Happy a go and it was nowhere near as good as Inside is. Musically he’s very good but he’s clearly moved on with his content. A pretty good advert for wokeness not ruining comedy.

• 2 months later...

I saw John Bishop last night at my local venue.

He started by saying he doesn't usually have a support act, but due to Comedians losing so much work due to COVD lockdowns he wanted to give a couple of young talents a break by bringing them along with him.

After they both did their 15 minute sets (Mat Reed who was ok and Scott Bennett who was fantastic) Bishop came out after the interval and it quickly became apparent he only had about 20 minutes of material which he stretched out for an hour.

"Giving these lads a break" was seemingly an excuse for not being ready for this tour.

It was worth going as I am now aware of Scott Bennett, but Bishop doing a story about being in the Liverpool FC directors box and listing every ex-player who was in the room felt like it lasted an eternity. "Ronnie Whelan and his wife were there... err... Phil Thompson was there .... and his wife ..."

21 hours ago, dopper said:

I saw John Bishop last night at my local venue.

He started by saying he doesn't usually have a support act, but due to Comedians losing so much work due to COVD lockdowns he wanted to give a couple of young talents a break by bringing them along with him.

After they both did their 15 minute sets (Mat Reed who was ok and Scott Bennett who was fantastic) Bishop came out after the interval and it quickly became apparent he only had about 20 minutes of material which he stretched out for an hour.

"Giving these lads a break" was seemingly an excuse for not being ready for this tour.

It was worth going as I am now aware of Scott Bennett, but Bishop doing a story about being in the Liverpool FC directors box and listing every ex-player who was in the room felt like it lasted an eternity. "Ronnie Whelan and his wife were there... err... Phil Thompson was there .... and his wife ..."

Did he at least talk about crashing his car to avoid, as it was described at the time, a big chicken?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Manford and Bishop have alot of awesome acts doing support spots because it's tough as fuck breaking through at the moment. Scott Bennett just did a bit for the Apollo. Worked with him, one of the hardest working circuit acts, he'll hopefully breakthrough soon. He's great.