Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Have you watched his new show and what did you think of it?

I thought it was ok, not great. Seems like he had a bunch of stuff he wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to make it all funny and then said it anyway. 

I don't have a problem with him wanting to do 'serious' stuff, but if he's going to do that then I'm going to judge the content by that measure and ultimately he said a bunch of stuff that was neither funny nor particularly thoughtful/thought provoking.

When he was doing jokes they were good though.

13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Have you watched his new show and what did you think of it?

I thought it was ok, not great. Seems like he had a bunch of stuff he wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to make it all funny and then said it anyway. 

I don't have a problem with him wanting to do 'serious' stuff, but if he's going to do that then I'm going to judge the content by that measure and ultimately he said a bunch of stuff that was neither funny nor particularly thoughtful/thought provoking.

When he was doing jokes they were good though.

I have watched it, and hated it.

I don't want to get into a whole "what is comedy and how far can you go" debate but in my opinion, most of what he said was completely unnecessary, and that's what I have the biggest issue with. 

You can tell jokes about pretty much anything (despite what some people might say), and some of my favourite comedy comes from 'dark' subject matter, but when you punch down, and continue to punch down against marginalised communities, then it just isn't comedy anymore. 

I was a bit disappointed, but hes his own man, he can say and think what he wants. He's still one of my favourite comedians of all time, and that won't change. But if it means giving his future output a miss, then so be it.

• Moderators

That wasn't my takeaway from what I watched at all. I didn't see someone deliberately making a target of a marginalised group. I saw someone continuing to struggle to understand a community and their struggles and ultimately still just not getting it. It also really exposed the limits of his insight, showing up that he filters everything through the lens of his quite singular perspective on race. Which I think is the prime reason he continues not to understand a different struggle without trying to directly contrast it to his experience of racial issues.

I was ultimately a little embarrassed for him, but don't really feel like the show was hateful in its intent nor particularly damaging in actuality.

35 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That wasn't my takeaway from what I watched at all. I didn't see someone deliberately making a target of a marginalised group. I saw someone continuing to struggle to understand a community and their struggles and ultimately still just not getting it. It also really exposed the limits of his insight, showing up that he filters everything through the lens of his quite singular perspective on race. Which I think is the prime reason he continues not to understand a different struggle without trying to directly contrast it to his experience of racial issues.

I was ultimately a little embarrassed for him, but don't really feel like the show was hateful in its intent nor particularly damaging in actuality.

Yep, good point. Which comes back to my 'completely unnecessary' thought. It's just massively jarring, and like you say embarrassing. He just doesn't get it, and equates it in a completely irrelevant way.

There was an excellent thread (will try and find it) from a trans woman on it, saying that the trans community above all find being trans quite funny so they don't really have an issue with Dave. Its almost like hes created this "beef" himself.

Edit: Slightly misremembered, but well worth a read. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yep, good point. Which comes back to my 'completely unnecessary' thought. It's just massively jarring, and like you say embarrassing. He just doesn't get it, and equates it in a completely irrelevant way.

There was an excellent thread (will try and find it) from a trans woman on it, saying that the trans community above all find being trans quite funny so they don't really have an issue with Dave. Its almost like hes created this "beef" himself.

Edit: Slightly misremembered, but well worth a read. 

To misquote The Dude, That’s her opinion man. No one speaks for an entire community. In her experience that may well be true. That is her truth. But I don’t see how she has any right to suggest the entire Trans Community think it’s all a laugh. Everyone I know who’s watched it, and are Chapelle fans have either said it’s crack or boring. I’ll get to it at some point, but not in a rush.

36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

To misquote The Dude, That’s her opinion man. No one speaks for an entire community. In her experience that may well be true. That is her truth. But I don’t see how she has any right to suggest the entire Trans Community think it’s all a laugh. Everyone I know who’s watched it, and are Chapelle fans have either said it’s crack or boring. I’ll get to it at some point, but not in a rush.

Did you read it? She’s not saying the entire trans community think it’s all a laugh, she explains why they don’t think it’s a laugh. Obviously she’s still generalising and talking on behalf of people but as a straight white male I’m not about to question how she or anyone else should take those jokes.

For my money comedians should be allowed to joke about whatever they see fit and people should be allowed to call them out if they think what they say is shit. I find the dialogue around these issues to be incredibly helpful in opening my own eyes and helping me form a more educated opinion on matters. 

Probably not what Chapelle was going for though to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I find the dialogue around these issues to be incredibly helpful in opening my own eyes and helping me form a more educated opinion on matters. 

I think this is really great. So much of what we see, read and hear is reduced into black or white stances and in my opinion, usually people have a more nuanced approach or opinion.

We had a big debate in the office last week about the issue of "women erasure" and how people felt about that. No one got angry, no one lost their shit, we all listened and spoke to each other and had a rational, thoughtful chat and got to understand where everyone came from. Was really refreshing. 

I believe that we should listen to the marginalised communities in these instances and include them in decision making as I'm sure most of these issues are things that groups of people who aren't actually affected by them, make mountains out of mole hills.