Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

The Bernard Manning memorial school of comedy was it.

Lesson 2: sitting in your custard stained pants explaining how your not a racist because darkies and pakis enjoy your shows.

I am not entirely sure where this little rant came from?

What the tutors said was that no subject is off limits, just as long as you can justify your material from the heart, if you are confronted by anyone who questioned the nature of your material and the sentiment behind it.

Surely most comics should avoid Brexit on the basis of it being far too easy and the chance of crossing materials with all the other comedians doing it is pretty high. Plus, the reality of it is far funnier than anything you could make up. It's like Richard Herrings take on Trump, if you wrote that chatacter in fiction he'd be far too unbelievable.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Tons of comedians do material on Brexit. Some comics even have entire shows based around it. Matt Forde had 'Brexit Through The Gift Shop' in 2018 and 'Brexit, Pursued By a Bear' this year. Nish Kumar had 'It's in Your Nature to Destroy Yourself'. Club comics will often skirt around the subject as the audience will be very mixed. Touring acts, who have their own audience, will find it easier to do material on topics like that as the majority of crowd will already be on their side of thinking and they're less likely to lose a crowd or have some turn on you.

Exactly this. I've seen comics mention Brexit but nobody on the circuit is going out on a wekeend night & doing material that's either leave or remain as it's a sure fire way to alienate half of the room. Just last night I had a comedianwho does lots of topical stuff telling me that he could do stuff about Theresa May & it worked in front of audiences of all political persuasiosn. Boris Johnson far less so because he's seen as Mr Brexit & so crowds are getting pissy, they're opinions are so entrenched it's taken as a personal sleight.

Same goes with people like Frankie Boyle. His stuff wouldn’t really work in a comedy club as the audience are too varied. But once you get to the level he’s at and playing the rooms he does, then the majority of the audience are there to see him and already know the type of material he’ll be doing so are on board with it all. 

• Paid Members

Nah, I saw Frankie Boyle a bunch of times when he was still on the circuit & he smashed every time. Seeing him in front of an audience who weren't there for him was an absolute joy, you'd hear people laugh then instantly stifle it so as not to be seen to be laughing at his jokes. His success however led to bunch of new acts thinking you just had to get up there & say 'paedophile' and you'd get laughs. I saw some terrible deaths from edgelord open spots.

4 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Surely most comics should avoid Brexit on the basis of it being far too easy and the chance of crossing materials with all the other comedians doing it is pretty high.

But the point of Brexit material generally isn’t to get laughs, it’s to get agreement applause, so having the same take on it as the last thousand comics your audience saw isn’t going to hurt you.

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

But the point of Brexit material generally isn’t to get laughs, it’s to get agreement applause, so having the same take on it as the last thousand comics your audience saw isn’t going to hurt you.

That's just the reason I personally wouldn't want to do Brexit if I was a stand up S opposed to Mountevans workshops reason. Fair enough if you have a fresh or original take on it but the chances are you probably wouldn't and creatively it's a bit of a cop out. You might as well list things you remember from your childhood if you want agreement applause.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

That's just the reason I personally wouldn't want to do Brexit if I was a stand up S opposed to Mountevans workshops reason. Fair enough if you have a fresh or original take on it but the chances are you probably wouldn't and creatively it's a bit of a cop out. You might as well list things you remember from your childhood if you want agreement applause.

People care more about Brexit though. So if you know you’re in a pro-Brexit or anti-Brexit room, you’ll get the big claps and whoops just doing a thing that echoes and reinforces their beliefs. A comedian who wants to do anything creative or challenging with Brexit material has to step outside of that echo chamber, and any deviation from the party line runs a risk of alienating your fanbase. So I can understand why all the Brexit material exists, and why so much of it is just lazy shite. I just don’t enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just a heads up for anyone on here who isn't a prick. Alexei Sayle has announced his first proper tour in 7 years. On sale this Friday

Friday 31st January: Manchester Home
Saturday 1st February: Manchester Home
Monday 3rd February: Winchester Theatre Royal
Tuesday 4th February: Winchester Theatre Royal
Saturday 15th February: Nottingham Playhouse
Monday 17th February: Norwich Playhouse
Tuesday 18th February: Norwich Playhouse
Friday 21st February: Oxford Playhouse
Saturday 22nd February: Oxford Playhouse
Friday 28th February: Birmingham MAC
Saturday 29th February: Birmingham MAC
Wednesday 4th March: Exeter Phoenix
Thursday 5th March: Exeter Phoenix
Thursday 12th March: Liverpool Epstein Theatre
Friday 13th March: Liverpool Epstein Theatre
Saturday 14th March: Liverpool Epstein Theatre
Tuesday 17th March: Sheffield Memorial Hall
Wednesday 18th March: Sheffield Memorial Hall
Wednesday 25th March: Bristol The Redgrave Theatre
Thursday 26th March: Bristol The Redgrave Theatre
Friday 3rd April: Margate Theatre Royal
Saturday 4th April: Margate Theatre Royal
Monday 6th April: London Bloomsbury
Tuesday 7th April: London Bloomsbury

Will likely try & get tickets for Manchester and take my mum.