Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I think it's worth watching all of repertoire if you're on the fence but enjoying it at least a bit. Because it all ties together brilliantly and really makes you appreciate the quality of the writing.

There's a reason these guys are talking about rewatches; it really is objectively masterful writing whether you find him funny or not.

I've had people say that you have to watch it to the end and others say that if you're not enjoying it halfway, don't bother. Plus I can see that it's intricately put together but that's not really what I watch or listen to stand-up for. I was just really disappointed considering the universal acclaim he's received.

• Moderators

Yeah, that was aimed more at @gmoney  because he said he did find him funny. I'm not suggesting you watch it all just to appreciate the writing if you're not having fun! That would be a waste of your time. I never advocate for sticking with stuff in those situations. There's way too much good media out there to persevere with something you're not enjoying and you've given a fair shake.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, that was aimed more at @gmoney 

Fair enough, my apologies.

By the way, as a side note, it still amuses me that the OP of this thread started it because he wanted more stuff like Roy Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson.

• Awards Moderator

Nah if it's not funny to you then two more hours of it won't help. It's complete stand-up bliss to me: a bit silly, a bit smart, a character who isn't as clever as he thinks he is, and callbacks for days. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
On 8/31/2019 at 10:30 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I've heard the new Katherine Ryan one isn't up to much so haven't bothered. Shame as I have really enjoyed her previous shows.

Jordan Brookes - who won the Edinburgh Fringe award this year with his show 'I've Got Nothing' - has put his 2016 & 2017 Edinburgh shows up on YouTube. I highly recommend them both as he's brilliant. Especially the show 'Body of Work'. There's not really any other comedian around who does the stuff like he's doing. 

I watched this this morning and it was fantastic. Really, really good stuff here.

I mostly went off British stand-up comedy (and British comedy in general) in the early 2010's when it felt like everyone began pandering to the "BANTER!!!" audience, but I've been slowly getting back into things this past year.

It started when I finally started to downgrade my massive DVD collection from the hundreds to only a few firm favorites, and it turns out that I really couldn't let go of the stand-up sets that got me through a lot of tough times. I'll definitely be working through some of the names brought up in the last few pages of this thread.

Is there a general rule of thumb these days about comedians retiring material after it’s been released on video? I ask as I started watching the Ed Gamble special on Amazon prime, but it was the same material I saw him do last weekend. It’s made me a bit wary of buying tickets for shows.

He said on Twitter the other week that if you’re going to his tour show to steer clear of the amazon special until after as there’s a couple of bits on there that’s in his tour show.

He wanted to release it after the tour had finished but they wouldn’t let him as they wanted to release all their stand up specials at the same time. They also wouldn’t let him name it ‘Blood Sugar Sex Tragic’. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I saw James Acaster in Southend last night. It was one of the funniest but most surreal gigs I've ever seen. 

So... tip toeing around the material so as not to spoil, within the first ten minutes he does a Brexit bit. He starts to note an odd reaction from some of the audience and it sends him on an adversarial bent. You should know the South East of Essex is very Brexit and very Tory. He starts to think the audience are totally not with him, and this continues through the whole show. Even down to the encore, where he walks off and immediately returns and says "I usually let the audience reach fever pitch but I didn't trust this room tonight." Then doesn't actually do an encore, but talks about what a weird night it's been. Also being a nerdy fan I'm certain he cut routines short because he spent so long openly debating whether the audience liked him or not. 

I've seen a lot of comedy at the dual Southend venues and several have mentioned how prickly the crowd is. For anyone that has seen Cold Lasagne 1999 Hate Myself, was this a unique gig? 

For the record, I loved every bit and the awkward tension only added to it. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

He attracts a different audience, but I thought Stewart Lee's last show was recorded in Southend where he has the line (maybe slightly paraphrasing) "It wasn't just the racists who voted for Brexit.  No, it was the cunts too."

That seemed to go down alright with his crowd.

(Edit: Palace Theatre)

I think Stewart Lee has established his audience, and established a somewhat adversarial role in his material, whereas James Acaster probably plays better with a Stewart Lee crowd, but because he's on Mock The Week et al, draws the "it's him off the telly" audience.

It's that same show in which Stewart Lee refers to the town he's in, and by extension his own audience, as "a hive of racists", which comes close to when he said, "I don't know why I bother coming to Glasgow, I play Edinburgh every year, it's basically the same city" in terms of getting away with just openly insulting his own audience.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

He attracts a different audience, but I thought Stewart Lee's last show was recorded in Southend where he has the line (maybe slightly paraphrasing) "It wasn't just the racists who voted for Brexit.  No, it was the cunts too."

"And I'm neither a racist, nor a cunt.

Yours, A. Cunt."

• Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

James Acaster probably plays better with a Stewart Lee crowd, but because he's on Mock The Week et al, draws the "it's him off the telly" audience.

He addressed this head on. "Why don't you go and see Rob Beckett? He won't challenge you at all. Go see him <he giggles at this point>... He's dogshit!" 

He apologised afterwards but really gave the impression he'd said it on the spot. 

@johnnyboy this was the Palace.