Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

Stewart Lee can (and largely does) only play in front of his audience.

Lee could play bigger venues but he chooses not to. It works his style better for sure. He recently said he might be interested in the stadium gig as an experiment. Would be interesting certainly.

Anyone watch the Sandler special on Netflix? Its quite enjoyable and he seems to be enjoying himself (I know?!)

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Lee could play bigger venues but he chooses not to. It works his style better for sure. He recently said he might be interested in the stadium gig as an experiment. Would be interesting certainly.

Anyone watch the Sandler special on Netflix? Its quite enjoyable and he seems to be enjoying himself (I know?!)

That's not what I meant sorry. It's not about the size of the rooms (he still plays decent theatres), he doesn't do well on mixed bill gigs where the audience have just turned up to see 'comedy'. I'd be really interested to see how he'd do in an arena but I find the idea of seeing any comedy in an arena awful. Unless I can get decent seats I give large theatre shows a miss tbh as I like an element of intimacy with comedy. Fuck any show with big screens up & all that noise.

• Awards Moderator
54 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've listened to the first half of the first pod and am really enjoying it. Think I'd like it more if I'd ever heard of Scoobious Pip.

It's left me starving!

His music isn't my thing but his podcast is great. Really good black book, plus he's One Of Us. 

Not a knock on the guy, because is really clever and I had a great conversation with him about BJJ and MMA, but when his stutter kicks in some times I do wish it would be edited out. I know he can't help it, but it does lead to awkwardly long pauses sometimes when he has to stop talking to retry words.

Fuck that, the fact he DOESN'T edit out the stutters is good, he could edit it out obviously but if one kid with a stammer hears it and realises that it doesn't have to hold you back, can feel even slightly empowered or less intimidated by the shit people with stammers get on a daily basis then what he's doing is all the better for it. He talks openly about his mental health issues etc, leaving the stutters in will be as powerful as that for the right listener

I wasn't talking about the stammering itself just the occasions where he leaves in pauses where he has to focus, to control his stammer. It's just a little thing that breaks up the flow of the conversation and has made me think that the playback has paused on the podcast.

Anyone hear the recording of Louis CK's new material that was leaked earlier in the week? Seems to have gotten a lot of flack for being in poor taste, but his material was always fairly dark.

Apparently he's been taken on by a lot of right wing folk as being on their side, which I can't really understand.

• Paid Members

This has caused quite the stir on comedy industry groups

It doesn’t matter if it was funny, it was a pro comedian working out new material at a small club gig that wasn’t meant to be recorded. Whoever your favourite comedian is, when they’re working out new material it’s going to be shit, that’s how the writing process works & always has. Chris Rock now bans all mobile phones from his gigs, big or small. His famous ‘Black people vs Niggas’ routine from ‘Bigger & Blacker’ which propelled him to mega-stardom apparently took him 2yrs to work out & it died every night until he'd got it right.

Secondly, you’ve got people pretending a comedian is being serious for political effect. Which is fucking idiotic in itself. I haven’t heard the recording but read that the jokes went down alright with the actual audience. So you’re left with people who weren’t there being ‘outraged’ by something obviously said in jest but which they’re pretending was serious. Clever.

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

You should check out his podcast and music and poetry. All three are great.

18 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

His music isn't my thing but his podcast is great. Really good black book, plus he's One Of Us. 

I've found him a bit perculiar. In some ways, he's really, really dull and his food choices have been seriously bland but other bits like his confessions of, well, crimes are really interesting.

Funnily enough, I hadn't heard his stammer at all until it's been mentioned on here. Not sure if he only started stuttering later in the pod. Either way, it's fine.