Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's the reference and intent thing, isn't it?  He had nothing to do with the shootings but when a piece of shit 'jokes' about it, it's hard to tell how much of it is a 'joke'

For me? Not really tbh. When a comedian is talking about something I think it has to assumed it's a joke. An audience can usually tell as well due to tone, body language & context.

The examples that spring to mind are Chubby Brown saying 'These fucking asylum seekers...' then deliberately pausing to give his audience the chance to jeer, Or Bernard Manning ending his Embassy Club shows with 'have a safe trip home & remember, keep your friends white'. Neither have a punchline. But on the flipside Chubby & his ilk are playing to smaller & smaller audiences as societal attitudes change.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Very conscious of not being a name dropping wanker but we used to put on a lot of 'work in progress' gigs ahead of the Edinburgh festival. 2 acts doing their hour shows with an interval in between. They were advertised as work in progress & cheap so the audience knew they weren't getting the finished article. Different acts approached them differently depending on what stage of writing they were act & where the show was. Some people would be literally reading off notes, going back to pieces of paper and giving a '4th wall' level of commentary as they went along 'That's getting binned'...'Winner, that's staying' etc. Others would have very close to the finished article where it was memorised & very slick.

That reminds me! I saw Bridget Christie do an Edinburgh preview that apparently she ended up doing almost nothing from as she changed direction completely and did a show about Brexit instead. I do remember thinking, "this is funny but feels a bit thin" and I can't even remember what it was about, other than an extended bit about cheese rolling. I don't know if she re-purposed some of it for other shows, but it must have been pretty brave to completely bin your show and start again so close to the deadline. 

• Paid Members

He's a "satirist" who's not actually satirising anything, but just bellowing centrist opinions. I wouldn't normally link to Vice, but they had him pretty much bang on;

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/gq9mnj/jonathan-pie-unfunny-facebook-meme-man

Pie is the product of a world where people believe they're being lied to by the news, but told the truth by the TV channel Dave. He is the son of panel shows replete with squawking comedians making facile jokes about how awful the government is. It's a carnival of irritating ignorance, a cult of (weak) personality ingraining itself in every part of political discourse with no signs of abating.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, nfc90210 said:

Is Pie a controversial figure? Aside from knowing that he is a character, and agreeing with the general sentiments epressed in the video, I am unaware of his work.

He's about as bad as Joe Rogan, for comparison's sake.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I listened to a bit of him on The Comedians Comedian podcast. I thought Jonathan Pie was a character but it turns out he’s a bit of a knob in real life too. 

Aargh that was an awkward listen. He really bristled at it, and the ComComPod Facebook blew up debating both sides. 

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just watched the new Katherine Ryan special on Netflix and it's bloody awful. Her first one was alright but I didn't even crack a smile at this one.

Kathleen Madigan's most recent one, Bothering Jesus, is fantastic though. Always enjoy her specials and it's a shame she doesn't get talked about more for what a great stand-up she is.

I've heard the new Katherine Ryan one isn't up to much so haven't bothered. Shame as I have really enjoyed her previous shows.

Jordan Brookes - who won the Edinburgh Fringe award this year with his show 'I've Got Nothing' - has put his 2016 & 2017 Edinburgh shows up on YouTube. I highly recommend them both as he's brilliant. Especially the show 'Body of Work'. There's not really any other comedian around who does the stuff like he's doing. 

Edited by wordsfromlee